The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   A rant (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124205)

Loco Vette 11-30-2020 12:47pm

A rant

Last October my sister decided Mom would be well served to have one of those MedicAlert fall detection necklaces. Since I had already tried once and failed to get her to wear one I said it wouldn't work. She insisted and I wound up ordering one, and Mom refused to wear it. (I am not allowed to be right around here.)

Well Mom passed in August, and I had long since forgotten about the thing. The charge just showed up on my credit card for the subscription. I call to cancel and am on hold for 30 minutes waiting to talk to a human, as they will not allow you to do it through the phone. Once I got a person on the phone, they said they had to transfer me to the "Retention Department" for further instructions. After 10 minutes I got mad and decided to see if I could do it online (probably should have tried that first.) In the FAQ there is an Email address that you are supposed to direct inquiries of this sort to. I hung up and Emailed.

Two minutes later I get an undeliverable Email message:

Quote:

Your message to Retention@####lalert.com couldn't be delivered.

The group Retention only accepts messages from people in its organization or on its allowed senders list, and your email address isn't on the list.
Probably just going to tell AmEx it is no longer a valid charge, at least that way MA is motivated to actually be helpful.

DAB 11-30-2020 1:04pm

do you one better:

several years ago, Mrs. DAB's mom passed away, and her dad has passed away about 15 years prior to that. but her mom had never bothered to get a credit card in her name, just left it in her now passed away husband's name. bought things, made payments, Visa didn't seem to care.

Mrs. DAB goes to clean things up, settle accounts, and calls Visa to cancel the credit card. "well, we are sad to hear about your father's passing, but we still need to talk to the account holder before we cancel the credit card"

are you not listening, the account holder (dad) passed away about 15 years ago, and now the only remaining user (mom) has passed away too. :slap:

"well, we really need to talk to your dad"

good luck, you'll find him at the cemetery, he's not going anywhere.

Mrs. DAB paid the last bill, cut up the card, and forgot about it.

Mike Mercury 11-30-2020 1:10pm

Quote:

(I am not allowed to be right around here.)
sounds like my life...

Old Ben 11-30-2020 1:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury (Post 1827953)
sounds like my life...

Same here.

Rodnok1 11-30-2020 1:40pm

What's this "right" thing you speak of...

My FIL has started putting everything in both his and his wife's name to avoid issues when one passes(came up with car warranty).

RMVette 11-30-2020 3:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Ben (Post 1827959)
Same here.

Ditto

MadInNc 11-30-2020 4:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury (Post 1827953)
sounds like my life...

Yep.... that’s why I refuse to sign up for Ring or other subscriber services wo customer care.

Try to talk to somebody at Rock Auto NFW. Low $ comes with no support :yesnod:

Norm 11-30-2020 5:00pm

Was fortunate with respect to handling my parent's estates. When my Dad passed (34 years ago), he had no bills, paid cash for everything, everything reverted to Mom, she had passed 10 years ago.

It was just my sister and I, both of us were 50-50 beneficiaries of everything Mom had, insurance policys, bank accts, savings accts, CD's, property, etc. She had no bills either, neither one had a credit card.

About 25 years ago, I had myself and sister put on the deed of Mom's condo, therefore there would be no administrative of anything. When she passed, divvied up everything 50-50, sold the condo, same thing, had the realtor send us equal shares of the selling price. All settlements and transactions went smooth.

Thanks Mom, she took care of us.

69camfrk 11-30-2020 5:01pm

Loco, you are preaching to the choir. Same deal with my mom. She never wore them etc. Sent them back right after her stroke. Paid what I was supposed to unenrolled, etc. They just kept up with the billing. I have a photo of the nasty gram I wrote on the bill somewhere. If I can find it, I'll post it up. I was livid....:issues:

MadInNc 11-30-2020 5:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norm (Post 1827990)
Was fortunate with respect to handling my parent's estates. When my Dad passed (34 years ago), he had no bills, paid cash for everything, everything reverted to Mom, she had passed 10 years ago.

It was just my sister and I, both of us were 50-50 beneficiaries of everything Mom had, insurance policys, bank accts, savings accts, CD's, property, etc. She had no bills either, neither one had a credit card.

About 25 years ago, I had myself and sister put on the deed of Mom's condo, therefore there would be no administrative of anything. When she passed, divvied up everything 50-50, sold the condo, same thing, had the realtor send us equal shares of the selling price. All settlements and transactions went smooth.

Thanks Mom, she took care of us.

My GMAs estate was a mess. I was executor as oldest of 5 Gkids named Property was involved and they all thought I was selling it.....

Wife parents were easy peasy. Wife was executor. They lived virtually off grid. Sold house for quick cash as I wasn’t going to put $75k into it, to gain $75k in value. Asbestos siding and roof rafters in garage were 2x4’s and gravity showed effect, cracked (Major) in foundation, furnace, bath, complete do over.... only one who bitched was SIL but time vs money and a bird in hand prevailed. When ya wave cash people listen LOL

bill_daniels 11-30-2020 5:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 1827952)
do you one better:

several years ago, Mrs. DAB's mom passed away, and her dad has passed away about 15 years prior to that. but her mom had never bothered to get a credit card in her name, just left it in her now passed away husband's name. bought things, made payments, Visa didn't seem to care.

Mrs. DAB goes to clean things up, settle accounts, and calls Visa to cancel the credit card. "well, we are sad to hear about your father's passing, but we still need to talk to the account holder before we cancel the credit card"

are you not listening, the account holder (dad) passed away about 15 years ago, and now the only remaining user (mom) has passed away too. :slap:

"well, we really need to talk to your dad"

good luck, you'll find him at the cemetery, he's not going anywhere.

Mrs. DAB paid the last bill, cut up the card, and forgot about it.

You have to send them a death certificate.

StaticCling 11-30-2020 7:34pm

How do you retain a customer when they are no longer on the planet.

What a bunch of assholes!

mrvette 11-30-2020 7:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_daniels (Post 1827997)
You have to send them a death certificate.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chinaski (Post 1828037)

Not worth the buck stamp to send any copies to them.....account inactive for X years, closed automatically....yawn.....

69camfrk 11-30-2020 7:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chinaski (Post 1828037)

It was like I couldn't explain that my mom was totally incapacitated by a stroke, and would never be going home. They had their shit back, and continued to bill. They got zero past her date of the stroke. ****ers....

snide 11-30-2020 9:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69camfrk (Post 1828047)
It was like I couldn't explain that my mom was totally incapacitated by a stroke, and would never be going home. They had their shit back, and continued to bill. They got zero past her date of the stroke. ****ers....

Update the mailing address on the account to the plot number in the cemetery. Problem solved. :shrug:

Mike Mercury 12-01-2020 8:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadInNc (Post 1827986)
Rock Auto

https://memegenerator.net/img/instan...a-bad-time.jpg

https://sayingimages.com/wp-content/...riend-meme.jpg

Mike Mercury 12-01-2020 8:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69camfrk (Post 1827991)
Loco, you are preaching to the choir. Same deal with my mom. She never wore them etc.

widow that lived across the street... in her 70's... fell going from the attached garage to the kitchen. She couldn't get up; laid there for 2 days before a family member stopped by.

She had a Life Alert - but refused to carry it around.

Rodnok1 12-01-2020 9:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury (Post 1828161)
widow that lived across the street... in her 70's... fell going from the attached garage to the kitchen. She couldn't get up; laid there for 2 days before a family member stopped by.

She had a Life Alert - but refused to carry it around.

Close family friend had a stroke early in the morning and laid on floor until late evening when someone finally went to check on her, she reached the phone but no 911 back then and she had lost speech completely. She called our house a few times(no caller ID), man did we feel like shit when we found out. Those extra 8 to 10 hours alone cost her alot....
My MIL falls constantly and FIL refuses to get her a life alert... I tried to get her to keep/use cell with her all the time but she refused.

DJ_Critterus 12-01-2020 10:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodnok1 (Post 1827961)
What's this "right" thing you speak of...

My FIL has started putting everything in both his and his wife's name to avoid issues when one passes(came up with car warranty).

My little brother is being an absolute shit to my parents so they've basically cut him out of the will. I'm making payments on the house for them and their phone bills now. They didn't tell him that he gets next to nothing but, this is ****ed up, a High Point .45acp I bought my dad for christmas as a joke years ago. And check this, little bro is trying to lay some claim to Das Boat if we still have it when dad passes because half of it "...belongs to dad." Nope, he don't get a damn thing.

I'm also the executor of the will and any leftover money when they die goes to bills, expenses, and then I am to split it 90/10 with little brother. he gets the 10.

I suspect the funerals are going to be fun when the time comes :rolleyes:

mrvette 12-01-2020 12:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ_Critterus (Post 1828172)
My little brother is being an absolute shit to my parents so they've basically cut him out of the will. I'm making payments on the house for them and their phone bills now. They didn't tell him that he gets next to nothing but, this is ****ed up, a High Point .45acp I bought my dad for christmas as a joke years ago. And check this, little bro is trying to lay some claim to Das Boat if we still have it when dad passes because half of it "...belongs to dad." Nope, he don't get a damn thing.

I'm also the executor of the will and any leftover money when they die goes to bills, expenses, and then I am to split it 90/10 with little brother. he gets the 10.

I suspect the funerals are going to be fun when the time comes :rolleyes:

My wife set up with Harkey-Gibbons funeral home here in OP.....100/month for each of us...200/month total, and ALL expenses are supposed to be covered.....she is age 69 now and I am age 76.....might wanna look into those kind of plans......:sadangel::shots::lol: