The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Anyone been to Calhoun GA? (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117221)

VITE1 09-11-2018 8:16am

Anyone been to Calhoun GA?

We were planning on leaving FL to NH Friday. The storm is screwing things up.

I am thinking about leaving Friday afternoon and stopping in Calhoun on my way up north. I think it will be far enough inland to avoid the brunt of Flo.

Anyone ever been there?

Mike Mercury 09-11-2018 8:41am

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/4c/3f...c857cb4b6e.jpg

Olustee bus 09-11-2018 9:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury (Post 1642663)

yeah, been a while for me too.

vtelvr 09-11-2018 9:06am

Yes. My wife and I don’t live too far from Calhoun. There’s an outlet mall there off the same exit as a small handful of hotels on highway 53.

Olustee bus 09-11-2018 9:12am

I would at least wait one day if I could

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/storm...cks_latest.png

VITE1 09-11-2018 9:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olustee bus (Post 1642667)
I would at least wait one day if I could

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/storm...cks_latest.png

I should have said Thursday afternoon. Then we would head north to I90 and spend a night in Dunkirk NY on Friday evening. Then to NH on Saturday.

Rob 09-11-2018 9:33am

Been through there quite a few times but never stopped in there.

Grey Ghost 09-11-2018 9:49am

I live in Calhoun, GA.

There's a couple of new hotels at exit 312/Hwy 53. All the fast food places are also on that exit.

Grey Ghost 09-11-2018 9:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury (Post 1642663)

We haven't grown much from that two block downtown scene. Just hotels and fast food at the I-75 exits.

VITE1 09-11-2018 9:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grey Ghost (Post 1642678)
I live in Calhoun, GA.

There's a couple of new hotels at exit 312/Hwy 53. All the fast food places are also on that exit.

Thanks. We'd get in late and leave early. I have a cargo box on top of the car and don't want to unpack it at night.

Sea Six 09-11-2018 10:41am

I'd get reservations early. With a storm most places fill up due to evacuees.

Bill 09-11-2018 10:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Six (Post 1642685)
I'd get reservations early. With a storm most places fill up due to evacuees.

This. Also, if you have decided to leave, leave now, before the mass exodus. In Houston, evacuees were left stranded, both from cars overheating sitting in traffic jams, and from people running out of gas while stuck in traffic. People spent over 24 hours making what normally would be a 3 or 4 hour drive, and that's considering that the freeways were converted to contra-flow. Both sides of the highways were outbound only.

VITE1 09-11-2018 11:38am

I'd love to leave today. The issue is I have a contractor coming Thursday to put of accordion shutters. If I cant get a place I can always leave Sunday or Monday. I just have to put up with my wife freaking out about the Baby being , possibly, born early.

I need a drink. :leaving:

Olustee bus 09-11-2018 12:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by VITE1 (Post 1642690)
I'd love to leave today. The issue is I have a contractor coming Thursday to put of accordion shutters. If I cant get a place I can always leave Sunday or Monday. I just have to put up with my wife freaking out about the Baby being , possibly, born early.

Damn it man. now you got us freaking out

Bill 09-11-2018 1:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by VITE1 (Post 1642690)

Stock up on these storm essentials now. Forget the milk, bread, and toilet paper......get to the liquor store NOW, before it's too late.

Ingredients in The Hurricane Cocktail
Units
2 oz
White rum
2 oz
Dark rum
1 oz
Lime juice
1 oz
Orange juice
2 oz
Passion fruit juice
1⁄2 oz
Simple syrup
1⁄2 oz
Grenadine

Garnish:
1 Orange wheel and cherry

Glass:
Hurricane
How to make The Hurricane Cocktail

Add all the ingredients to a shaker and fill with ice.

Shake, and strain into a large Hurricane glass filled with fresh ice.

Garnish with an orange half-wheel and a cherry

Grey Ghost 09-11-2018 1:08pm

I have a trip planned for the Smokey Mountains and Rod Run this weekend. So, I've been following Florence, closely. The mountains are close to Knoxville, TN.

I'm not sure of your route to NH. But, I think GA/TN are safe until late Sat. night or Sunday. for rain or winds. We won't get any of it here.

If you are trying to get ahead of it and going through VA., MD, etc...you will need to be through those states by Sat. I would think....I don't know where are the evacuees are headed...roads could be packed and everything booked up in those particular states.

Atlanta Motor Speedway has opened up all their acreage for free camping to evacuees.

69camfrk 09-11-2018 3:07pm

1 Attachment(s)
The mayor of Calhoun Ga welcomes you!!

Attachment 18473

VITE1 09-11-2018 3:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grey Ghost (Post 1642697)
I have a trip planned for the Smokey Mountains and Rod Run this weekend. So, I've been following Florence, closely. The mountains are close to Knoxville, TN.

I'm not sure of your route to NH. But, I think GA/TN are safe until late Sat. night or Sunday. for rain or winds. We won't get any of it here.

If you are trying to get ahead of it and going through VA., MD, etc...you will need to be through those states by Sat. I would think....I don't know where are the evacuees are headed...roads could be packed and everything booked up in those particular states.

Atlanta Motor Speedway has opened up all their acreage for free camping to evacuees.

Thanks for the advice.

My plan would be to head up to Ohio then take I90 across to MA and then NH. we would stop in Dunkirk NY and spend the night with my sister.

Based on what the weather people are saying the flooding will be awful east of the mountains. I want to avoid that.

Jeff '79 09-11-2018 4:37pm

2 Attachment(s)
So when you leave Dunkirk and are almost to Buffalo, there is an exit for the 400 to West Seneca/ East Aurora. That is the last exit on the I-90 before the I-190 exit that goes downtown.
If you drive 15 minutes down the 400 Expressway, you'll be where I live in East Aurora.

Attachment 18474

Attachment 18475

MrPeabody 09-11-2018 4:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff '79 (Post 1642712)
So when you leave Dunkirk and are almost to Buffalo, there is an exit for the 400 to West Seneca/ East Aurora. That is the last exit on the I-90 before the I-190 exit that goes downtown.
If you drive 15 minutes down the 400 Expressway, you'll be where I live in East Aurora.

Attachment 18474

Attachment 18475

Looks about like Main street in the small town I live in in those pics.