The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Zero depreciation in 5 years. (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124757)

Datawiz 01-24-2021 3:10pm

Zero depreciation in 5 years.

1 Attachment(s)
Was searching Corvettes for a club member for an autocross car and I noticed that the '08 and '09 Z06's in my mileage range (36k) are overwhelmingly in the 40k range. I found at least 30-40 cars in that price range on Autotrader.com. I paid $40k for my '09 3LZ 5 years ago.

With the new mid-engine and no more manual transmissions, my guess is it only goes up from here. :) Just like the late 60's and early 70's, the big displacement engines are valuable. Mine's the last of the NA Z06 (That 7.0 liter is going to be coveted), which is hugely desirable for a track car. This forced induction crap has neutered Corvette. Find a C7Z that can complete a full 10/10ths track session without going into limp mode due to heat soak.

I guess the value is irrelevant at the moment, as I'll never sell it, and GWiz will inherit it, but it could be an extremely valuable asset for her in 30-40 years. Hell, both will. The race car only has 17k miles. It's just about to be on its 3rd engine. :lol:

snide 01-24-2021 3:22pm

Somedays, I wish I hadn't got rid of mine. :shrug:

Datawiz 01-24-2021 3:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by snide (Post 1849452)
Somedays, I wish I hadn't got rid of mine. :shrug:

I wish I had your wheels. Having the '06-'08 wheels on my car, chrome no less, pisses me off. I need to get a very nice set of black wheels for this car. :yesnod: Also, I hate the stupid ZR1 wing that the previous owner installed. :slap: Otherwise, this car is still perfect. Very nice to sit on a cooler and look at, whilst drinking a beer. I even have BRAND NEW factory seat skins for both seats from the race car. :yesnod:

z06psi 01-24-2021 3:48pm

Look at a used F250 from 17 and up.

Prices haven't changed since 19 when I bought mine. I could probably sell it for more than I paid for it after two years.

Murray 01-24-2021 4:28pm

It cost me $1500 to drive my 96 Z28 for 10 yrs and 60k miles.

I could get today what I paid for my C5 Vert 5 yrs ago.

Iron Chef 01-24-2021 4:46pm

I hate to say this, but...the value of a car based on "what you are seeing" vs. what you'll actually get, cash in hand, is very likely a different story, especially with Corvettes. I've learned that the hard way with a few cars that I had whose value I could swear were very high, only to be very disappointed at the time of sale.

No disrespect to your ride whatsoever. I had the same gen Grand Sport and loved it. It's a beautiful car. But the majority of buyers aren't going to track their car, so an engine/transmission combo doesn't really factor in to their purchase and I'm not sure they'd be willing to pay more for that.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I don't think I'm too far off. :cert:

Datawiz 01-24-2021 5:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron Chef (Post 1849483)
I hate to say this, but...the value of a car based on "what you are seeing" vs. what you'll actually get, cash in hand, is very likely a different story, especially with Corvettes. I've learned that the hard way with a few cars that I had whose value I could swear were very high, only to be very disappointed at the time of sale.

No disrespect to your ride whatsoever. I had the same gen Grand Sport and loved it. It's a beautiful car. But the majority of buyers aren't going to track their car, so an engine/transmission combo doesn't really factor in to their purchase and I'm not sure they'd be willing to pay more for that.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I don't think I'm too far off. :cert:

Again, I'm absolutely not in the market to sell. This thing is going nowhere and will be handed down to the next generation. I like the trend, and I think it will appreciate substantially in a 30 year window for my daughter. :yesnod: And a Grandsport doesn't have a 7.0 Liter. ;)

Millenium Vette 01-24-2021 5:30pm

Nice cars are bringing all the money these days. They didn't build a ton of Z06's, either in C5 or C6 models. My crystal ball is often foggy, but if I had to make a prediction on the C6's that will bring the most money after I'm gone, it would be the ZR1 and the 2013 427 convertible. They didn't make many of either one.

:cert:

snide 01-24-2021 6:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Millenium Vette (Post 1849492)
Nice cars are bringing all the money these days. They didn't build a ton of Z06's, either in C5 or C6 models. My crystal ball is often foggy, but if I had to make a prediction on the C6's that will bring the most money after I'm gone, it would be the ZR1 and the 2013 427 convertible. They didn't make many of either one.

:cert:

The 427 Vert was one year only, so their prices are going to hold steady. Right, @K-Spaz?

Egnalf 01-24-2021 6:27pm

prices are up due to simple economics, supply and demand. new car production slowed so people placed more demand on used. that hasnt settled out yet.

DAB 01-24-2021 6:52pm

30 years? good luck on spare parts. good luck on the electronics.

"sir, the ECM is no longer made for that car, and GM will not release the source code so you can bypass it with your iPhone, so are you interested in a new C15? they are 3 cylinder hybrids, but perform great once the battery is fully charged."

Giraffe (He/Him) 01-24-2021 8:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by datawiz (Post 1849455)
I wish I had your wheels. Having the '06-'08 wheels on my car, chrome no less, pisses me off.

Oh no. Few things look better to my eye than black and chrome. :yesnod:

Bill 01-24-2021 9:04pm

Wheels should always be either chromed, or at least polished aluminum.

:yesnod:

snide 01-24-2021 9:14pm

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by datawiz (Post 1849455)
I wish I had your wheels. Having the '06-'08 wheels on my car, chrome no less, pisses me off. I need to get a very nice set of black wheels for this car. :yesnod: Also, I hate the stupid ZR1 wing that the previous owner installed. :slap: Otherwise, this car is still perfect. Very nice to sit on a cooler and look at, whilst drinking a beer. I even have BRAND NEW factory seat skins for both seats from the race car. :yesnod:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThomasTheGiraffe (Post 1849540)
Oh no. Few things look better to my eye than black and chrome. :yesnod:

Polished aluminum.

snide 01-24-2021 9:15pm

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_daniels (Post 1849550)

Polished is good...

Ronins2ndCuzzin 01-25-2021 9:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 1849524)
30 years? good luck on spare parts. good luck on the electronics.

"sir, the ECM is no longer made for that car, and GM will not release the source code so you can bypass it with your iPhone, so are you interested in a new C15? they are 3 cylinder hybrids, but perform great once the battery is fully charged."

Aftermarket babababy! No computer, no problem. Time for that Motec, MS3, ProEFI, etc.

I'm more worried about these politicians trying to mandate electric cars. :kick:

Giraffe (He/Him) 01-25-2021 9:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_daniels (Post 1849550)

The PVD chrome is OK also. It's not QUITE as mirror like as true chrome but it's pretty damn close.

DAB 01-25-2021 10:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronins2ndCuzzin (Post 1849664)
Aftermarket babababy! No computer, no problem. Time for that Motec, MS3, ProEFI, etc.

I'm more worried about these politicians trying to mandate electric cars. :kick:

that presupposes that there is sufficient demand down the road for a company to invest in and create and sell for a profit the parts and pieces and software you may need to keep the old girl running.

a few years ago, my BIL was overhauling an old VW Beetle (70s vintage i think), and was able to source all the parts he needed to make it run better. well, with about 15 million of that model made over time, and relatively unchanged, there is sufficient demand for parts that companies can make a go of it making those parts for interested parties.

but with just a few thousand Corvettes of this model made, there is far less demand for spare parts after GM stops making enough for legal reasons. and with the propriety software they use, good luck hacking it successfully enough to make it run the way you want it to.

Iron Chef 01-25-2021 11:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by datawiz (Post 1849487)
And a Grandsport doesn't have a 7.0 Liter. ;)

There's a reason for that: They knew I'd be buying one and I'd wrap it around a tree. :rofl:

There's lots of days that I think I'd like another. But I can't reconcile two cars in my mind. Right now. :D

JetMechZ16 01-25-2021 11:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 1849694)
that presupposes that there is sufficient demand down the road for a company to invest in and create and sell for a profit the parts and pieces and software you may need to keep the old girl running.

a few years ago, my BIL was overhauling an old VW Beetle (70s vintage i think), and was able to source all the parts he needed to make it run better. well, with about 15 million of that model made over time, and relatively unchanged, there is sufficient demand for parts that companies can make a go of it making those parts for interested parties.

but with just a few thousand Corvettes of this model made, there is far less demand for spare parts after GM stops making enough for legal reasons. and with the propriety software they use, good luck hacking it successfully enough to make it run the way you want it to.

I think he's referring to aftermarket, as in non electronically controlled engines and transmissions. They could be built for a large number of vehicles and adapted to fit his.