The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Neither rain, nor snow, nor dark of night (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130437)

DAB 11-29-2022 9:00am

Neither rain, nor snow, nor dark of night

Shall keep these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds.

But a dead battery will.

After dinner, went to get my mail. Oh, he’s still sorting it. Ok, I’ll wait.

10 min later, looks like he’s all done, comes around the front of the mail truck and smacks the hood.

That’s not proper post office protocol.

I get out of my car and walk over. Everything ok?

Won’t start, need a jump.

I have cables.

Really?

Yup.

Pull my car into position, get hooked up, and it starts.

Put things away, get my mail (all junk mail), and go back home.

Would have been a long, dark wait otherwise.

:DAB:

Norm 11-29-2022 9:08am

My postperson is still driving a 20+ yo POS, leaks oil, no A/C, won't be getting a new one for some time, RFD's are the last in line to get anything new.

6spdC6 11-29-2022 9:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 2017680)
Shall keep these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds.

But a dead battery will.

After dinner, went to get my mail. Oh, he’s still sorting it. Ok, I’ll wait.

10 min later, looks like he’s all done, comes around the front of the mail truck and smacks the hood.

That’s not proper post office protocol.

I get out of my car and walk over. Everything ok?

Won’t start, need a jump.

I have cables.

Really?

Yup.

Pull my car into position, get hooked up, and it starts.

Put things away, get my mail (all junk mail), and go back home.

Would have been a long, dark wait otherwise.

:DAB:

I'm surprised he let you help him. Been involved in a few misadventures with the PO and they have rules and regulations that cover most anything they do or want to do. Bet somewhere in the regulations that it mandates that only a officially approved PO contractor/vechicle could touch the vechicle. Your man probably took the easy way out.

Give a example of their bullshit. I was driving a large CDL license needed box truck and hit the PO vechicles mirror. Shit like that is very very common. All the owner of the hit vechicle has to do is send the bill to the other truck company and its promptly paid. The PO guy jumped out and after we exchanged information and I radioed my shop he told me I could not leave. I had to wait for his supervisor to show up. (mirror was about $30 at this time with a 2 minute time needed to change)

He insisted I had to wait due to his regulations. I told him I have a delivery to make about a 100 miles away and do not have time to play with your bullshit regulations and drove off. Nothing happened the bill came in the mail a couple days later, my company paid it. End of story!

Mike Mercury 11-29-2022 9:24am

https://i.imgflip.com/2no1ms.jpg

Frankie the Fink 11-29-2022 9:47am

I worked for the US Post Office on a VRA (Veteran's Reassignment Appointment) straight out of the Army in 74 for a short time. Even then the vehicles were mainteaned like crap...I got back from a run to another post office from the annex in a 5 ton truck and found out the shimmy was 8 of the 10 lug nut studs broken off a rear wheel.

mrvette 11-29-2022 10:15am

We have a nice looking chick a dee who drops off our mail, so a female male carrier......and her little truck is a junker....if she ever stops the engine to walk up to a house door, it's a BITCH to start again....acts all flooded out...I wood think it should be fuel injected by NOW.....SO FAR she has not called for backup....:dance::confused5:

Yadkin 11-29-2022 10:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6spdC6 (Post 2017685)
I'm surprised he let you help him. Been involved in a few misadventures with the PO and they have rules and regulations that cover most anything they do or want to do. Bet somewhere in the regulations that it mandates that only a officially approved PO contractor/vechicle could touch the vechicle. Your man probably took the easy way out.

Give a example of their bullshit. I was driving a large CDL license needed box truck and hit the PO vechicles mirror. Shit like that is very very common. All the owner of the hit vechicle has to do is send the bill to the other truck company and its promptly paid. The PO guy jumped out and after we exchanged information and I radioed my shop he told me I could not leave. I had to wait for his supervisor to show up. (mirror was about $30 at this time with a 2 minute time needed to change)

He insisted I had to wait due to his regulations. I told him I have a delivery to make about a 100 miles away and do not have time to play with your bullshit regulations and drove off. Nothing happened the bill came in the mail a couple days later, my company paid it. End of story!

I find it hilarious when a GovCo employee insists that I follow his employer's regulations. "That fo you, no fo me." :Jeff '79:

Bill 11-29-2022 10:29am

Bureaucratic regulations in any large business are there because somewhere, someone has ****ed something up, and now there's a whole policy about it. OP's mail carrier used common sense and life experience, and just got the problem solved, and trusted DAB that what happened that night on the road would remain between them, and no one would get into trouble for violating policy.

Onebadcad 11-29-2022 10:38am

DAB,
You are a good dood!!

DAB 11-29-2022 10:46am

if he has said that he had to wait for a PO support truck, which are at best 20 min away, i'd have said, ok, and headed home with my mail.

it's dark and lonely out here, not a lot of traffic on that road. no lights, just his little battery powered head lamp.

LATB 11-29-2022 12:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onebadcad (Post 2017740)
DAB,
You are a good dood!!

:iagree:

Black94lt1 11-29-2022 6:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrvette (Post 2017721)
We have a nice looking chick a dee who drops off our mail, so a female male carrier......and her little truck is a junker....if she ever stops the engine to walk up to a house door, it's a BITCH to start again....acts all flooded out...I wood think it should be fuel injected by NOW.....SO FAR she has not called for backup....:dance::confused5:

Many of the postal trucks we still see today are actually late 90s/early 00s S10 chassis, so we are taking 20-25 years old

BRUIZER 11-29-2022 6:38pm

The PO delivery drives a jeep up here.
He doesn't even wait for the plow to pass through come a good snow. :seasix:

LATB 11-29-2022 6:42pm

The rural USPS guys here drive their own vehicles.

Torqaholic 11-29-2022 6:56pm

Wonder if mine would be grateful enough to start closing the box after depositing my mail? Not generally big deal except when it rains and the return envelopes for my bills glue themselves shut. How incompetent (or lazy) must a person be to not close a mailbox door? I would not give them a jump :slap:

Yadkin 11-29-2022 7:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torqaholic (Post 2017977)
Wonder if mine would be grateful enough to start closing the box after depositing my mail? Not generally big deal except when it rains and the return envelopes for my bills glue themselves shut. How incompetent (or lazy) must a person be to not close a mailbox door? I would not give them a jump :slap:

Get a locking one with a slot. :seasix:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QSL7QK1