The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Now WTF do I do with it? (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116879)

SnikPlosskin 08-02-2018 6:49pm

Now WTF do I do with it?

Well, she’s dead Jim. Transmission grenaded. All gears slip and vehicle won’t move. (Exploder)

Can you still trade it in by tow truck? Part it out? Sell it as is? Donate it? Burn it?

Serious. I’m not sure what to do with it.

One thing is it has lots of new parts - entire front suspension - control arms, hubs, shocks, bushings, tie rods - the whole nine.

Engine runs like a top but burns a little oil. Not bad. No leaks.

Shit, the OEM Wheels are worth $800 me thinks.

New windshield. New AC manifold. Everything else works.

Advice?

MrPeabody 08-02-2018 6:51pm

Write a song about it.:shots:

Then part it out. If the engine and trans are still there, junkyards will probably give you $3-500 for it.

Bill 08-02-2018 6:55pm

What will it cost to rebuild? Compare that with what a R&R with a junkyard transmission will cost and choose wisely. As it sits, it's worthless to sell, and unless you've got lots of time and space, parting it out won't go well for you. Your neighbors might also object to a stripped vehicle in their neighborhood, for what that's worth.

VatorMan 08-02-2018 7:05pm

Donate it and take the tax deduction. Not sure if you need an appraisal or if you can just take low BB.

BADRACR1 08-02-2018 7:08pm

We had a dealership the advertised "Push, pull, tug, or tow". As long as you could get it there they would trade.

polarbear 08-02-2018 7:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_daniels (Post 1638663)
What will it cost to rebuild? Compare that with what a R&R with a junkyard transmission will cost and choose wisely. As it sits, it's worthless to sell, and unless you've got lots of time and space, parting it out won't go well for you. Your neighbors might also object to a stripped vehicle in their neighborhood, for what that's worth.

He's already dumped a ton of money into this POS, and now he has a not-running POS that's going to require a lot more money to put back on the road... until the next failure.

I would've folded and called it a day about $1000 ago. Now it's just pouring good money after bad.

snide 08-02-2018 7:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BADRACR1 (Post 1638669)
We had a dealership the advertised "Push, pull, tug, or tow". As long as you could get it there they would trade.

:withstupid: Find a local dealer that is advertising a push, pull or drag sale. Use it as a trade/down payment on a lease.

Put it on Craigslist as a parts car.

Take it to the gun range and use it as target practice.

99 pewtercoupe 08-02-2018 7:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by VatorMan (Post 1638666)
Donate it and take the tax deduction. Not sure if you need an appraisal or if you can just take low BB.

We donated a car last year (Salvation Army). They would not give us a receipt until they actually sold it. Evidently the government is cracking down on this deduction as people were donating junk cars and claiming way over valued deductions

69camfrk 08-02-2018 7:51pm

How much is it to rebuild the transmission, or just buy one that is rebuilt?

stingraymyway 08-02-2018 7:56pm

Find a rebuilt transmission and have a shop swap it out.

SnikPlosskin 08-02-2018 10:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69camfrk (Post 1638680)
How much is it to rebuild the transmission, or just buy one that is rebuilt?

Quote:

Originally Posted by stingraymyway (Post 1638681)
Find a rebuilt transmission and have a shop swap it out.

The truck is seeing cascading failures. No more money going in. Trans was rebuilt seven years ago for almost $3k. Costs about $700 to swap. Used is about $1000 and you still have Fords shitty design. This trans is infamous for failure. I’m surprised it went 100K from the factory.

Nope. Truck is done for.

SnikPlosskin 08-02-2018 10:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_daniels (Post 1638663)

$3k rebuild.

I was thinking, get a few friends over a weekend and pull off all the new stuff plus wheels and tires.

Sell that stuff on CL and sell the rest to junk yard.

Or just sell the whole thing on CL for best offer.

Or see if anyone would take on trade. Problem being I can’t have it towed to multiple dealers while we work out who to buy from. I suppose one could make a deal with just telling them what’s up with it. Not sure.

It sure went downhill fast. Pain in the ass.

boracayjohnny 08-02-2018 10:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnikPlosskin (Post 1638700)
The truck is seeing cascading failures. No more money going in. Trans was rebuilt seven years ago for almost $3k. Costs about $700 to swap. Used is about $1000 and you still have Fords shitty design. This trans is infamous for failure. I’m surprised it went 100K from the factory.

Nope. Truck is done for.

Sometimes ya just gotta cut your losses. This is a good example.

Flea Bay? CL? Maybe even Dallas or Houston CL?

Jeff '79 08-02-2018 11:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by polarbear (Post 1638672)
He's already dumped a ton of money into this POS, and now he has a not-running POS that's going to require a lot more money to put back on the road... until the next failure.

I would've folded and called it a day about $1000 ago. Now it's just pouring good money after bad.

Yep ....
Why ask for advice when you don't take it???
Call up your last thread about this and see who gave the sound advice.
You just don't listen.
What to do with it?
Call a salvation yard and take what they give you.[emoji106]

MrPeabody 08-02-2018 11:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnikPlosskin (Post 1638702)
$3k rebuild.

I was thinking, get a few friends over a weekend and pull off all the new stuff plus wheels and tires.

Sell that stuff on CL and sell the rest to junk yard.

Or just sell the whole thing on CL for best offer.

Or see if anyone would take on trade. Problem being I can’t have it towed to multiple dealers while we work out who to buy from. I suppose one could make a deal with just telling them what’s up with it. Not sure.

It sure went downhill fast. Pain in the ass.

Many dealers would make a firm offer on a vehicle like yours sight unseen, Don't expect it to be much, but they won't need to bother inspecting it.

boracayjohnny 08-03-2018 12:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrPeabody (Post 1638706)
Many dealers would make a firm offer on a vehicle like yours sight unseen, Don't expect it to be much, but they won't need to bother inspecting it.

"But, but I'll give him $2k."

Raises price of car on the lot $2k.

:D

m and t's77 08-03-2018 4:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrPeabody (Post 1638662)
Write a song about it.:shots:

Then part it out. If the engine and trans are still there, junkyards will probably give you $3-500 for it.

Nope a 2000 and up with title will only get you 200-250 cash around this area.

Giraffe (He/Him) 08-03-2018 6:18am

Damn. If I was closer I’d use it for a pr0n shoot. “Bangin’ MILF Truckers” or some such.

GRN ENVY 08-03-2018 7:38am

Find your local CarMax. They literally will buy any car. You will be in and out in about an hour with your money

snide 08-03-2018 7:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by GRN ENVY (Post 1638725)
Find your local CarMax. They literally will buy any car. You will be in and out in about an hour with your money

If you're lucky, CarMax will give you bus fare you can use to get home.