The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   C7 Open Discussion (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Tires (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121282)

Egnalf 01-12-2020 8:34pm

Tires

which are better, runflat or non runflat, and why

FX VETTE 01-12-2020 8:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Egnalf (Post 1715253)
which are better, runflat or non runflat, and why

I prefer non runflats. They are easier on the wide body wheels and softer on the tush. Plug kit and compressor still required.

dvarapala 01-13-2020 8:34am

I like the piece of mind afforded by runflats. Continental makes a set that fits my IS-F perfectly. :yesnod:

VatorMan 01-13-2020 8:44am

It depends on your application. If you plan on driving aggressively, Non runflats will give you a better experience. Daily driving with peace of mind-Runflats.

snide 01-13-2020 10:15am

I use non-runflats and no Lloyd's mats when I throw caution to the wind...

bigblock427 01-21-2020 8:05pm

I have had both run flats and non-run flats. In my opinion there is not that much difference in the ride between the two types.

I buy run flats for the piece of mind and safety. How many times have you heard of someone on the side of a road changing a flat and getting killed by a car hitting them? Or how about a flat in the middle of a storm or in a bad part of town?

I choose the run flats.

Aerovette 01-21-2020 11:36pm

I have been driving since 1976 and in all those years, I have yet to get a flat that stopped me right there on the road. Slow leaks at best and one fast leak that I still drove to Discount Tire on.

My vote is non run flats.

FX VETTE 01-23-2020 10:57am

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by snide (Post 1715468)
I use non-runflats and no Lloyd's mats when I throw caution to the wind...

Attachment 37618

6spdC6 01-24-2020 7:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by VatorMan (Post 1715424)
It depends on your application. If you plan on driving aggressively, Non runflats will give you a better experience. Daily driving with peace of mind-Runflats.

Well I live in the mountains and enjoy the roads when I can. Basically have owned a performance car all my life since 1967 and consider myself aggressive.

I use run flats! Worked on cars including working at a friends garage for years so I know how to change tires. Its just so much easier to have the peace of mind, the Vette is a 4th vechicle and other than them being noisier they work out fine for me!

dvarapala 01-24-2020 8:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by VatorMan (Post 1715424)
It depends on your application. If you plan on driving aggressively, Non runflats will give you a better experience.

I drive pretty (OK, very) aggressively, and I can't tell any difference between RFs and NRFs. :shrug:

core-Vette 03-17-2021 12:24am

I used to buy different non-run flat tires. I also have the Pirelli Cinturato P7 run-flats that I bought from 4WheelOnline. You can't really tell the difference at first but it's hard to tell if it is low on air. I needed a TPMS system and check the tire pressure frequently. You may also notice a harsher ride in RF tires but I agree that they give you peace of mind.

owc6 11-05-2022 9:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigblock427 (Post 1720178)
I have had both run flats and non-run flats. In my opinion there is not that much difference in the ride between the two types.

I buy run flats for the piece of mind and safety. How many times have you heard of someone on the side of a road changing a flat and getting killed by a car hitting them? Or how about a flat in the middle of a storm or in a bad part of town?

I choose the run flats.

Been there, done that. More than once.

Runflats saved my bacon both times on sidewall blowouts. Both times I drove extended distances.

Chuck A 11-05-2022 11:13pm

The vert has run flats all other cars are regular , can’t really tell the difference
Very true, indeed

owc6 01-28-2023 11:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerovette (Post 1720303)
I have been driving since 1976 and in all those years, I have yet to get a flat that stopped me right there on the road. Slow leaks at best and one fast leak that I still drove to Discount Tire on.

My vote is non run flats.

You are a very lucky man.

Yadkin 01-29-2023 12:06am

I've only used run flats on my wife's last car. I've only had two flat tires in my life, and one was a slow leak.