The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Intel or AMD chip? (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=863)

09CTSV 11-07-2009 8:49am

Intel or AMD chip?

Anyone have a preference. I was going to buy a prebuilt system but the hell with it why give them my money and get something I can't upgrade or mess with later on. I want to make this one a little faster but am torn now between the Intel i7-920 processor which is a quad core or the AMD phenom which is a quad core.

Any thoughts?

Munch 11-07-2009 9:00am

I was always a hardcore AMD guy until the last place I worked where we only used Intel and I could get em for free, so now all my computers have Intel. We never had any real issues with the Intel and all my computers work fine so.... It turns out I don't really care anymore.

WKMCD 11-07-2009 9:40am

This may help. I've used both but lately, I've stuck with the Intel processors. The I7 920 and 940 are VERY quick. It really depends what your needs are. I've alway bought the fastest processor I could find within reasonable $$. You know in a year in going to be slower than the next gen anyways.

PassMark CPU Benchmarks - Common CPU's

Stangkiller 11-07-2009 11:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by WKMCD (Post 10907)
This may help. I've used both but lately, I've stuck with the Intel processors. The I7 920 and 940 are VERY quick. It really depends what your needs are. I've alway bought the fastest processor I could find within reasonable $$. You know in a year in going to be slower than the next gen anyways.

PassMark CPU Benchmarks - Common CPU's

Holy crap! That benchmark is crazy, I've been shopping for an i7 computer for a little while now. This will upgrade from my P-4 desktop, i can't wait now :above:

jeff w 11-07-2009 6:07pm

I've always used AMD chips cuz I've been building bang for the buck systems. IDK enough about the benchmark software they used, but it could be optimized for Intel chips, thus the reason Intel is killing. Could be that AMD just cant compete with the i7 atm. :crazy:

09CTSV 11-07-2009 8:17pm

I've been using AMD but this past processor is getting unstable. I looked around thinking I'd upgrade to the AMD Phenom II X4 965 but our one place I can get parts doesn't have the 965. Also all they carry are Gigabyte MB, no DDR3 support or no DDR3 memory.
I tried to explain it was worthless having a quad 4 processor with only DDR2 memory but it was like talking to the wall. As much as I hate to do it I will probably end up ordering a Dell with the I7 and be done with it.

thegreenman 11-07-2009 8:46pm

For many years I would only buy AMD, I thought Intel was to expensive. The past few years AMD has not lived up to their claims and almost went out of business not long ago. Generally Intel chips are better but if budget is an issue go AMD.

09CTSV 11-07-2009 8:54pm

I wish we had a computer shop around here worth a darn. I hate ordering stuff online only to find it is not the right stuff. It takes forever to return and get the right parts.
Last time I had parts from the web the memory did not work and I had to wait week to get new memory. I remember the computer shows in VA, it was nice to go and see some of the newer stuff at Scope or the Hampton Coliseum. You didn't have to buy but you could get the general good scoop of stuff. There used to be a lot of stores around town as well.
We have two stores and neither of them are worth a bean.

thegreenman 11-07-2009 9:03pm

I was tempted to open a computer shop here in Hampton Roads because all the shops I visited around here didn't know much or had no customer service. I decided I didn't want the headaches that would go with it and there isn't much money in the PC business. Computers are so cheap now it is cheaper to buy a complete system online than to build one yourself. I went to a couple of the Hampton Coliseum shows and they usually asked to much money so I stopped going.

09CTSV 11-07-2009 9:09pm

Yeah, towards the time I left there around 2004 the computer shows started to get expensive. I agree with having a PC built is cheaper than building it yourself. I priced some stuff on Pricewatch.com and couldn't believe how few merchants are on there now. Tigerdirect and Newegg are proud of their products to.

thegreenman 11-07-2009 9:21pm

I have had good luck with Newegg. I didn't like them when they were called Egghead, they were pretty arrogant back in those days.

09CTSV 11-07-2009 9:25pm

Thanks, I'll check them out. Dell is awful proud of their machines even with an employee buy.

tomurphjr 11-07-2009 11:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by thegreenman (Post 11003)
I have had good luck with Newegg. I didn't like them when they were called Egghead, they were pretty arrogant back in those days.

:cheers: I like newegg also, but the shipping charges can be a bit much on some of the cheaper stuff.

I personally run a PII with windows7!!!

Come on! I should get rep just for saying that.

thegreenman 11-08-2009 9:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomurphjr (Post 11051)
:cheers: I like newegg also, but the shipping charges can be a bit much on some of the cheaper stuff.

I personally run a PII with windows7!!!

Come on! I should get rep just for saying that.

You are right, sometimes the shipping is higher at Newegg than others, usually not bad. No rep for having a PII, only pity. :lolsmile:

Did you order that SC yet?