The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Mr. Heater Propane Heater/Propane tank... (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120781)

lspencer534 12-10-2019 4:03pm

Mr. Heater Propane Heater/Propane tank...

I heat my workshop with a Mr. Heater Propane Heater. I bought a new Propane tank today (meaning I refilled the old tank), and when I connected it to the heater, the heater won't light. I see a spark from the ignition, but it won't light up.

I've adjusted the flow of propane, but still nothing happens. I disconnected the hose from the tank to the heater, opened the tank valve, and no propane came out. I understand that propane tanks have a safety valve nowadays to prevent an accidental fire, so is the problem with the tank or the heater? How do I fix whatever is wrong?

6spdC6 12-10-2019 4:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by lspencer534 (Post 1690515)
I heat my workshop with a Mr. Heater Propane Heater. I bought a new Propane tank today (meaning I refilled the old tank), and when I connected it to the heater, the heater won't light. I see a spark from the ignition, but it won't light up.

I've adjusted the flow of propane, but still nothing happens. I disconnected the hose from the tank to the heater, opened the tank valve, and no propane came out. I understand that propane tanks have a safety valve nowadays to prevent an accidental fire, so is the problem with the tank or the heater? How do I fix whatever is wrong?

Try opening the tank valve very slow and see what happens.

lspencer534 12-10-2019 4:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6spdC6 (Post 1690517)
Try opening the tank valve very slow and see what happens.

That worked! How in Hell did you know to do that? At least all my cats are happy know (the workshop is their refuge from the cold), along with my Papaya Plant, Banana plant, and one remaining Okra plant.

Thank you, thank you!

6spdC6 12-10-2019 4:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by lspencer534 (Post 1690518)
That worked! How in Hell did you know to do that? At least all my cats are happy know (the workshop is their refuge from the cold), along with my Papaya Plant, Banana plant, and one remaining Okra plant.

Thank you, thank you!

Your very welcome!:cert:

Retired pipefitter/welder worked with all sort of gases my whole work life.

69camfrk 12-10-2019 4:30pm

BOTY 12-10-2019 5:46pm

Nice.

04 commemorative 12-10-2019 7:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6spdC6 (Post 1690521)
Your very welcome!:cert:

Retired pipefitter/welder worked with all sort of gases my whole work life.

Why did that work ? Just curious :question:

benny42 12-10-2019 7:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 04 commemorative (Post 1690623)

Its magic. Pipefitters can't give away all our secrets. :seasix:

JRD77VET 12-10-2019 8:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 04 commemorative (Post 1690623)

Quote:

Originally Posted by benny42 (Post 1690628)
Its magic. Pipefitters can't give away all our secrets. :seasix:

Gas flowing quickly can freeze. If you open the valve slowly, there is less chance of freezing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The 1913 485 hp Cooper pumping engine at Rough and Tumble runs on propane. ( in line four cylinder displacing over 40,000CI ) We have to have four 100 gallon tanks and two 50 gallon tanks running to a manifold system so the fuel draw won't freeze the piping.

6spdC6 12-11-2019 8:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRD77VET (Post 1690635)
Gas flowing quickly can freeze. If you open the valve slowly, there is less chance of freezing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This to the best of my knowledge only occurred with the newer revised valves of a few years past. I installed heating systems and I also changed out literately hundreds of propane tanks of all sizes with the old fashioned valves and never had a problem. In the old days most construction sites used many salamanders ( large portable heaters) with their own individual bottles for temporary heat!

JRD77VET 12-11-2019 8:35pm

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 6spdC6 (Post 1690745)
This to the best of my knowledge only occurred with the newer revised valves of a few years past. I installed heating systems and I also changed out literately hundreds of propane tanks of all sizes with the old fashioned valves and never had a problem. In the old days most construction sites used many salamanders ( large portable heaters) with their own individual bottles for temporary heat!

It's the volume of propane gas that causes the freezing of the manifold unless fed from multiple tanks.

Below is a picture of me holding one of the piston rings for the Cooper pumping engine. It has a 21-1/2" bore and 36" stroke. :yesnod: