The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   C5 Open Discussion (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Reduced Engine Power (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4291)

Munch 12-03-2010 11:09pm

Reduced Engine Power

With just the ignition on but the car not started I get the normal DIC messages along with Reduced Engine Power. I'm guessing this is because the MAF isn't hooked up but I thought I'd ask in case I need to look for something else before I button everything up. I had the Battery out for a month at least and I did have to make a new ground stud by the battery as I broke the factory one off. (I ground all the paint off and drilled a pilot hole in to the frame and then ran a self tapping screw in with all the ground leads connected and smeared a very light coat of dielectric grease on them all.) I haven't started the car since I took everything apart either.

Any thoughts? :bilmem:

lutzdog 12-04-2010 4:04am

when i ran into that problem with mine it was def a ground issue and the one by the battery was one of the important ones.

Y2Kvert4me 12-04-2010 5:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munch (Post 51732)
With just the ignition on but the car not started I get the normal DIC messages along with Reduced Engine Power. I'm guessing this is because the MAF isn't hooked up

Nope. Not having the MAF connected "could" be of some relation to triggering a P1514 code (and REP), but not until the engine is actually running.

Turn ign on and report all the codes you have present.

Reduced Engine Power mode is triggered with a code dealing with the electronic throttle control/throttle position feedback.

Since you were poking around and connecting to the TPS, this could be more than coincidence.

:cheers:

WKMCD 12-04-2010 6:32am

Check the ground on the back of the driver's side head.

Munch 12-04-2010 8:32am

Well it does appear to be TPS related but not sure what would cause it. All I did is peel some of the jacket off and solder a wire for my nitrous on to it. Moving my throttle body out because of the nitrous plate has made the wires to the TPS extremely tight so maybe a pin pulled out of the connector. Will I get these codes if the TPS connector is not connected or could it be that my nitrous controller is adding some interference to the signal?

Would it be OK to splice wires in to the TPS connector to lengthen it about an inch?

P1120 TP Sensor 1 Circuit
P1220 TP Sensor 2 Circuit
P1221 TP Sensors 1, 2 Performance
P1516 Command vs Actual Throttle Position Performance (TAC Module)
P1518 PCM to TAC Module Serial Data Circuit (H)

C1255 EBTCM Internal Malfunction (H)

B0605 BCM Internal Memory Function (H)

WKMCD 12-04-2010 8:47am

Should be OK to lengthen them if you have a good solder connection. Lengthen then 3 inches or so. It be much easier to work with than just an inch.

Munch 12-04-2010 9:08am

I checked where I soldered and the blue wire from the TPS had broken off so I re-soldered it and that got rid of 1 code P1221 TP Sensors 1, 2 Performance.

However i still have the other codes so not sure what to check next.

P1516 Command vs Actual Throttle Position Performance (TAC Module) Could this have anything to do with having taken the throttle body apart when it was powder coated?

Munch 12-04-2010 9:58am

Well the blue wire from the TPS was broken off so that was a legitimate problem but.....

I guess I should have connected the plug to the throttle body motor. :banghead:
What did that guy from Sling Blade say? Is there gas in the mower?

Thanks for your help guys. :cheers:

Y2Kvert4me 12-04-2010 1:49pm

:cool1: glad it was a simple fix.

Munch 12-04-2010 2:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Y2Kvert4me (Post 51764)
:cool1: glad it was a simple fix.

Seems like I have a lot of those, things not being plugged in. I'm going to have to make a note of that for the future.

Garb55 12-04-2010 7:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munch (Post 51766)
Seems like I have a lot of those, things not being plugged in. I'm going to have to make a note of that for the future.

It's always those little things that get yea! Glad you figured it out!