The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Photos for Locovette (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119606)

carlton_fritz 06-20-2019 4:29pm

Photos for Locovette

2 Attachment(s)
What are your thoughts on these tracks. New tracks put down last year. They make a horrible clatter.

69camfrk 06-20-2019 4:35pm

Didn't you know that tracks always clatter for a year or two until they are broken in??:leaving:

snide 06-20-2019 4:35pm

Looks like someone did a shit job.

Norm 06-20-2019 5:08pm

No clickity-clack? Is that mud? How'd it get there?

vtelvr 06-20-2019 5:21pm

We have three rail crossings near our house. None of which are even remotely smooth to cross over. I am not sure who is responsible for maintaining the track to asphalt transition, but I wish they would do something about these intersections.

carlton_fritz 06-20-2019 5:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norm (Post 1674181)
No clickity-clack? Is that mud? How'd it get there?

Lots of mud. Right behind the house, where a train derailed in 2014. That is partly why there are new tracks. It looks even worse in person.

carlton_fritz 06-20-2019 5:29pm

The rail line is adding more side rails to allow for the increased number of trains. One would think that some money would have been spent on doing the line right.

Black94lt1 06-20-2019 5:44pm

Never seen mud like that between the ties, seems like drainage issues with the bed

SnikPlosskin 06-20-2019 5:53pm

The maid needs fired.

Loco Vette 06-20-2019 6:27pm

Looks like they used a limestone ballast which is crushing, or the soil underneath is pushing up through the ballast. Neither of those are mistakes that a Class I would typically make, though. Any unusual weather events in the area?

carlton_fritz 06-20-2019 6:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loco Vette (Post 1674195)
Looks like they used a limestone ballast which is crushing, or the soil underneath is pushing up through the ballast. Neither of those are mistakes that a Class I would typically make, though. Any unusual weather events in the area?

It just rains all the time. The tracks are between 4 and 5 feet above the surrounding ground. They came in and put down new rock and a continuous line so they can run 40+ mph and a lot more trains. This is what it looks like less than a year after the work was done.

mrvette 06-21-2019 1:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by vtelvr (Post 1674184)
We have three rail crossings near our house. None of which are even remotely smooth to cross over. I am not sure who is responsible for maintaining the track to asphalt transition, but I wish they would do something about these intersections.

Here in Orange Park, we have two, 3 lane each way commercial highways, and a small center road of just one-two lanes each way in the middle, and the greatly raised RR track essentially follows the St. Johns River all the way down to Miami region.....OP has a nice little station there with som privately owned RR pass cars parked there, about 6 of them.....many olde tyme millionaire families used to live here....Penny, as in JC Penny, is one that comes to mind....

but the tracks have been through a MAJOR rebuild since I been here, used to be rough as a cob crossing them, now the roads were made wider and they smoothed out the humps so that even my vette rides smooth over the tracks, still a hell of a hump though.....took them about a year each to do the job, and for a month or so, the crossing was closed to street traffic, talk about a major mess, traffic through/around here is just ASStounding for a little sleepy retirement village no one ever heard of.....think it was DC or NYC....

:issues:

Loco Vette 06-21-2019 8:21am

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by vtelvr (Post 1674184)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrvette (Post 1674218)
Here in Orange Park, we have two, 3 lane each way commercial highways, and a small center road of just one-two lanes each way in the middle, and the greatly raised RR track essentially follows the St. Johns River all the way down to Miami region.....OP has a nice little station there with som privately owned RR pass cars parked there, about 6 of them.....many olde tyme millionaire families used to live here....Penny, as in JC Penny, is one that comes to mind....

but the tracks have been through a MAJOR rebuild since I been here, used to be rough as a cob crossing them, now the roads were made wider and they smoothed out the humps so that even my vette rides smooth over the tracks, still a hell of a hump though.....took them about a year each to do the job, and for a month or so, the crossing was closed to street traffic, talk about a major mess, traffic through/around here is just ASStounding for a little sleepy retirement village no one ever heard of.....think it was DC or NYC....

:issues:

Each crossing has a blue sign somewhere on it with a number you can call to report such things. If that doesn't work call the rail division of your state DOT and they will harass the RR for you. (Trust me, I know.)

carlton_fritz 06-21-2019 4:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loco Vette (Post 1674237)
Each crossing has a blue sign somewhere on it with a number you can call to report such things. If that doesn't work call the rail division of your state DOT and they will harass the RR for you. (Trust me, I know.)

I have never seen that.

Loco Vette 06-21-2019 4:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlton_fritz (Post 1674274)
I have never seen that.

If you can find a crossing that doesn't have one tell me where it is and I'll tell you how to report it to the feds.

dvarapala 06-21-2019 5:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69camfrk (Post 1674174)
Didn't you know that tracks always clatter for a year or two until they are broken in??:leaving:

* paid for

LilRedCorvette 06-21-2019 6:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loco Vette (Post 1674237)

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlton_fritz (Post 1674274)
I have never seen that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loco Vette (Post 1674281)
If you can find a crossing that doesn't have one tell me where it is and I'll tell you how to report it to the feds.

Ever since you told us about that in another RR thread, I have been able to spot those lil blue signs just about every time I encounter a RR crossing :hurray: but think I have seen a couple without, so whatever info you have on properly reporting those would be great :seasix: