The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Drano, tin foil, bottle.....true?? (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119051)

mrvette 04-03-2019 2:11am

Drano, tin foil, bottle.....true??

Note on Fakebook about kids putting Drano, 'Tinfoil', water in a plastic bottle and leaving it around to explode if disturbed.....will supposedly take hands/arms off.....

what she meant by 'tinfoil' is not explained....I would imagine 'aluminum foil'....would be used.....

any possible truth to that ???

:issues:

69camfrk 04-03-2019 2:48am

Probably a video on it somewhere on youtube. But yes, balls of tin foil, Draino, water, inside a 2 liter bottle go boom.:yesnod:

mrvette 04-03-2019 3:46am

OH SHIT!!! Talk about a damn terror weapon.......:sadangel:

69camfrk 04-03-2019 6:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrvette (Post 1664814)
OH SHIT!!! Talk about a damn terror weapon.......:sadangel:

You don't have very long before they explode. Not that you couldn't get hurt, but it is along the same lines as putting dry ice and watercin a soda bottle. Same result..

StaticCling 04-03-2019 7:10am

I believe the chemical reaction creates hydrogen gas, which is flammable. :yesnod:

04 commemorative 04-03-2019 7:33am

Let's hope the idiots doing it find out how quick something might happen.

StaticCling 04-03-2019 7:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69camfrk (Post 1664818)
You don't have very long before they explode. Not that you couldn't get hurt, but it is along the same lines as putting dry ice and watercin a soda bottle. Same result..

Did that when I was a kid. They are fuggin LOUD. :yesnod:

mrvette 04-03-2019 7:41am

I dunno, back 1/2 century+++ I was into all about smokeless powder speeds, and reloading, and then into making my own version of DIE NO MITE!!!! in detonation behind a woodpile......

and using old portable TV sets as targets in middle of some field/hillside.....one old Philco blew up to the point of leaving nothing but the metal hoop left, all the rest was toast...GAWN!!!!

Jobaka 04-03-2019 10:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69camfrk (Post 1664818)

Almost.
Dry ice doesn't spew caustic drain cleaner all over the place.

Jobaka 04-03-2019 11:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrvette (Post 1664809)
Note on Fakebook about kids putting Drano, 'Tinfoil', water in a plastic bottle and leaving it around to explode if disturbed.....will supposedly take hands/arms off.....

what she meant by 'tinfoil' is not explained....I would imagine 'aluminum foil'....would be used.....

any possible truth to that ???

:issues:

Sodium aluminate is also formed by the action of sodium hydroxide on elemental aluminium which is an amphoteric metal. The reaction is highly exothermic once established and is accompanied by the rapid evolution of hydrogen gas. The reaction is sometimes written as:

2 Al + 2 NaOH + 2 H2O → 2 NaAlO2 + 3 H2

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_aluminate

Sodium hydroxide is the active ingredient in Drano.

C5SilverBullet 04-03-2019 11:35am

Friend of mine blew a hole in the side of a house with one of those when we were growing up.

Rob 04-03-2019 11:49am

Yall worry me :rofl:

Jobaka 04-03-2019 1:07pm

We used to throw the dry ice ones into the hedges. The bits of plastic bottle would sever solid branches thicker than a human finger. It's not something to be trifled with, and it's sure as **** not something you want your kids playing around with.

Mike Mercury 04-03-2019 3:07pm

http://i.imgur.com/O1bp1Xl.gif

simpleman68 04-03-2019 3:27pm

Just in to see what gif Tim was gonna post. :lol:
Scott

69camfrk 04-03-2019 4:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jobaka (Post 1664843)
Almost.
Dry ice doesn't spew caustic drain cleaner all over the place.

True, but I was merely talking about the exploding bottle due to the pressure. And of course the pressure is created in two entirely different ways.:seasix:

Jobaka 04-03-2019 6:06pm

This is more opinion than science, but I always thought dry ice made for a more violent explosion. We speculated that it was the extremely low temp of the CO2 that made the plastic harder, more brittle, and more prone to catastrophic failure than warmer methods.

There was one guy who would drill a hole in the bottle cap and install a Schrader valve in it. IIRC (and there's certainly no guaranty of that), the bottle could take between 90 and 100 psi before it failed. If you filled it just shy of it's bursting point, it would bounce like a super ball. :Jeff '79:

MadInNc 04-03-2019 6:54pm

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/drano-bottle-bombs/

vetteman9368 04-07-2019 7:57pm

Pool chlorine , wrapped in tin foli pellets, plus brake fluid in a bottle does the same.

StaticCling 04-07-2019 8:07pm

As far as the Liquid Plumbr/Drano with foil creating an explosion, I did experiment with this as a kid...

We tried to make a "Hindenburg" by taking a glass soda bottle and mixing the two components and placing a regular party balloon on the lip of the bottle...thus filling it up with gas. Then you could, theoretically, rig up a fuse, pinch off the balloon and light it while sending it up in the air. The "Hindenburg" :Jeff '79:

My buddy had read about it somewhere. Again, this is going back about 25 years, but we could never get it to work. The vapor of the drain cleaner would always deteriorate the balloon, and/or there was still residue from the drain cleaner on the lip of the bottle causing the balloon to give out. We were kids, we weren't very careful about it.

That's why I said that I believe the chemical reaction creates Hydrogen Gas. :island14:

At any rate, we were kids just screwing around. We never sealed off a bottle to see if it would explode...