The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   New milling vise and made an adjustable stop for it (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120541)

JRD77VET 10-26-2019 7:57pm

New milling vise and made an adjustable stop for it

8 Attachment(s)
I picked up a "new to me" Kurt milling vise off ebay for a good price. It's a 4" vise, US made and high quality. Brand new this vise goes for $650 :willy: ( I paid a LOT less )

Only a couple "oops" that will not have any negative results in operation.:seasix:

First pics are of the vise. Great clamping power and I can put the jaws on either side of both the stationary or movable jaws. I can also use "soft jaws" with are machined with steps or reliefs for specific jobs.

The stop I made is similar to factory offered stop but a whole lot cheaper since I made it :D ( Almost $110 )

Milled a flat on the bar so it would sit against the back and then drilled the holes for mounting it. I used the drill bit to make sure it was perpendicular when I turned the bar over to mill the bolt flats.

The round piece has #10-32 pinch bolts to hold the part in place when tightened.

The "blank" arm still needs to have a drilled and tapped hole put in it for a piece of all thread so I can reach inside the vise. The round bar can also be positioned under the back bar for extra clearance.

mrvette 10-27-2019 2:35am

I have a cheep drill press some vice for it, since the 70's yet......made all sorts of shit with it......:dance:

Stevedore 10-27-2019 7:30am

Nice work. I have no knowledge of metal machining work other than my high school machine shop class; what's the purpose of the "stop" that you added?

DAB 10-27-2019 8:07am

Oooohhhh, shiney!!!

JRD77VET 10-27-2019 6:37pm

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevedore (Post 1686249)
Nice work. I have no knowledge of metal machining work other than my high school machine shop class; what's the purpose of the "stop" that you added?

That allows me to put a part against it in an exact position time after time.

I made another shorter round bar for the stop. I used the stop I just made as I drilled and tapped the hole at the far left. I took the part out of the vise, turned it 90* and put it back against the stop. That kept me from edge finding the part everytime I took it out.

DAB 10-27-2019 6:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRD77VET (Post 1686278)
That allows me to put a part against it in an exact position time after time.

I made another shorter round bar for the stop. I used the stop I just made as I drilled and tapped the hole at the far left. I took the part out of the vise, turned it 90* and put it back against the stop. That kept me from edge finding the part everytime I took it out.

huh?

JRD77VET 10-27-2019 7:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 1686279)
huh?

With the picture above. "X" is left side and "Y" is center of part
( "X" is left right and "Y" is front / back)

1st operation
Move "X" to .156 Spot, drill clearance for 10-32 screw half way down. Drill rest of the way thru with tap drill. Tap thru

2nd op
Take part out and rotate away 90*
Move "X" to .594 spot, drill and open hole to 5/8"

3rd op
Take part out and roll away additional 90* ( 180* total)
Move "X" to 1.281 spot, drill and open hole to 5/8"

4th op
Take part and rotate away additional 90* ( 270* total )
Move "X" to 1.719 spot, drill clearance half way down. Drill and tap 10-32

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Each time I take the part out, I have to clean chips from the bottom of the vise. The stop allows me to put the part back in the exact same spot in the vise each time.

It also works if I am doing multiple parts like the flat bar in the earlier pictures. I usually do 10 at a time. I will drill all of them doing the first hole. then I would move to the second coordinate and drill that hole. Then move to the final coordinate and drill the final hole.

Make more sense now?

DAB 10-27-2019 8:46pm

:faint:

It’s a fancy jig.

JRD77VET 10-27-2019 8:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 1686287)
:faint:

It’s a fancy jig.

:iagree:

To use some wood terms, it's the fence on your table saw ( or band saw) with a positive depth stop so that you can only cut so far into the board.

WOEII 11-21-2019 8:29pm

Is purdy!! :afrocool:

simpleman68 11-21-2019 8:33pm

Great work on the stop; that is a sexy vise :yesnod:
Scott