The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   I'm now RETIRED (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122716)

Wathen1955 05-28-2020 9:43am

I'm now RETIRED

Tomorrow will officially by my last day at work. I will drive 115 miles to the plant in Santa Clara CA and drop off my equipment and pick up my personal items.

I started with this company in Southern CA back in 1986 when it was ACS, then Guidant, then finally Abbott. I worked specifically in the calibration department as a technician performing calibrations on a variety of different equipment. Some of it was off the shelf, while others were custom. I was then promoted several times to senior technician, supervisor, group leader where I managed 25 folks, and then finally SME (subject matter expert) for the 5 different sites we have in the world.

My decision to retire is based on several factors including turning 65 this May, and I was just getting tired of all the BS at work, so I decided to make the jump to retirement. I already have my Medicare Card so I'm also officially an old fart.

I've already been contacted by a person who wants me to do some consulting for a company with regards to Metrology (i.e. the science of measurement). I have over 45 years experience in the field of calibration and Metrology, but I may elect to lay low for a few months.

Best part of this starting tomorrow - no more alarm clock.

Mike Mercury 05-28-2020 9:51am

:cheers:

Steve_R 05-28-2020 9:55am

Congratulations! :cert:

Loco Vette 05-28-2020 9:56am

Congrats!

Norm 05-28-2020 10:01am

Congrats, good for you.:seasix:

You have a skill set there in demand, that if you play it right, that part time work setting your own hours and pay could be quite beneficial.

Enjoy that retirement, you've earned it. :cert:

DAB 05-28-2020 10:13am

if you decide to do some side consulting, don't be afraid to name a good hourly rate. set boundaries (max number of hours/ week), limit travel to what you want to do, minimize meetings that waste your time.

if they want 45 years of experience and expertise, they can pay for it. :yesnod:

for starters, take your last pay rate and multiply by 4.

congrats.

TripleBlack 05-28-2020 10:18am

Congratulations and welcome to the no alarm clock club!

Be sure to stop by the supply room while you are in the office and steal a stack of blue line tablets and a lifetime supply of yellow highlighers.

:cheers: :cheers:

Dan Dlabay 05-28-2020 10:29am

Congratulations and as a friend of mine told me when I retired it is now your time.:seasix:

Mick 05-28-2020 10:54am

Congratulations! I wish you a long and happy retirement!

RMVette 05-28-2020 10:56am

Congrats! Going to travel now? :seasix:

Old Ben 05-28-2020 11:02am

Congrats. Enjoy your retirement. :cert:

VITE1 05-28-2020 11:17am

Congratulations and welcome to retirement.

99 pewtercoupe 05-28-2020 11:38am

Congratulations. Your week now consists of six Saturdays and a Sunday

z06psi 05-28-2020 11:41am

Congratulations!!!!

DAB 05-28-2020 11:42am

many years ago my dad retired from the Nuclear Regulatory Commission, about 27 years of experience there, and some other background in building rockets (Saturn V F1 rockets) and running small test reactors in the early 60s.

after he retired, he thought about doing some consulting on the side. but then the prospect of meetings, pricing his time, making sure he got paid as expected....he considered it all, and said "forget it". He got too busy gardening and hunting. never looked back. he turned 83 last week.

Wathen1955 05-28-2020 1:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 1769953)
if you decide to do some side consulting, don't be afraid to name a good hourly rate. set boundaries (max number of hours/ week), limit travel to what you want to do, minimize meetings that waste your time.

if they want 45 years of experience and expertise, they can pay for it. :yesnod:

for starters, take your last pay rate and multiply by 4.

congrats.

Yeah I'm already looking at anywhere from $80-$100/hr. We'll see. I may decide to not work for at least 6 months. Not sure yet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripleBlack (Post 1769954)
Congratulations and welcome to the no alarm clock club!
Be sure to stop by the supply room while you are in the office and steal a stack of blue line tablets and a lifetime supply of yellow highlighers.
:cheers: :cheers:

LOL - yeah I have several boxes of pens etc. to take with me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RMVette (Post 1769967)
Congrats! Going to travel now? :seasix:

Not sure about travel yet. My wife and I had planned to take a trip to Houston, TX to see the space museum and visit some of my wife's family in TX. The trip for this year has been postpone due to the CCP virus.

mrvette 05-28-2020 1:49pm

I've already been contacted by a person who wants me to do some consulting for a company with regards to Metrology (i.e. the science of measurement). I have over 45 years experience in the field of calibration and Metrology, but I may elect to lay low for a few months.

Best part of this starting tomorrow - no more alarm clock.[/QUOTE]

Curiosity.....watt sort of education you have toward that field, especially in electronics??

because it sounds like something I could have dun...maybe......

:dance::confused5:

Anjdog2003 05-28-2020 2:28pm

Work is for looooosers :yesnod:

MrPeabody 05-28-2020 3:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99 pewtercoupe (Post 1769982)
Congratulations. Your week now consists of six Saturdays and a Sunday

Seven Saturdays if you're an atheist.:leaving:

Congratulations!

DAB 05-28-2020 4:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wathen1955 (Post 1770031)
Yeah I'm already looking at anywhere from $80-$100/hr. We'll see. I may decide to not work for at least 6 months. Not sure yet.

LOL - yeah I have several boxes of pens etc. to take with me.

Not sure about travel yet. My wife and I had planned to take a trip to Houston, TX to see the space museum and visit some of my wife's family in TX. The trip for this year has been postpone due to the CCP virus.

my plumber charges me 125/hr. my lawyer 300/hr.

a few years ago, my last employer contacted me to do a little local work for them. i quoted them 125/hr. they swallowed hard, said yes, and i got paid what I wanted. they haven't called since.

do a google search on Scott Adams (Dilbert guy), he had a good essay long ago on not being afraid to ask for what you want. short version, he was asked to give a speech somewhere. he talked it over with his agent, agent said ask for what you want. so Adams quoted 10K plus travel expenses. they said yes fast. lesson learned: don't be afraid to ask for what you want. worst case, they say no, and you have tomorrow to yourself. win either way.

:DAB: