The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Datafizz and others, No more dragging your apps back (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125637)

Mike Mercury 04-29-2021 7:55am

Datafizz and others, No more dragging your apps back

Microsoft is finally fixing Windows 10 rearranging apps on multiple monitors

https://www.theverge.com/2021/4/28/2...fix-directx-12

If you’re a Windows user and you use multiple monitors, you’ve probably experienced the headache of apps randomly rearranging when you resume from sleep. There have been a variety of ways to work around this over the years, but Microsoft is finally addressing it and fixing it in a future Windows 10 update.

“The technical terminology we use to describe this problem is known as Rapid Hot Plug Detect (Rapid HPD),” explains Michelle Xiong, a program manager on the graphics team at Microsoft. “This behavior impacts DisplayPort multi-monitor setups which results in unwanted desktop rearrangements.”

This problem is particularly troublesome if you’re using a laptop with a secondary screen or an additional monitor goes into deep sleep and Windows thinks it has been unplugged. Windows will then go ahead and move all of your apps onto another screen, and you have to drag them all back manually. It’s a giant headache if you experience the issue daily.

Microsoft has been working on preventing Rapid HPD from rearranging Windows apps, and a fix is coming in the big Windows 10 update that’s due later this year. Windows Insiders can currently get access to this with build 21287 or above, but it does mean running a beta version of the OS on a device. Microsoft is expected to ship this final update in October, but if you can’t wait then you can go ahead and try it right now.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pr..._QmxpUQejNwPLc

https://cdn.guidingtech.com/imager/a...jpg?1521730502

Datawiz 04-29-2021 8:01am

I don't let my computer go to sleep. I've never experienced this issue. I just turn the monitors off at night and everything is where it belongs the next morning. :seasix:

bsmith 04-29-2021 8:06am

At my previous employer it would randomly do that.
Never could pinpoint what was causing it.

Haven't had the issue for a year and a half here, and kind of forgot about it.

It was f'king annoying.

DAB 04-29-2021 8:15am

You use your computer for work?!

:faint:

Thunder22 04-29-2021 8:20am

I have 3 34" monitors, this has never happened to me.

Datawiz 04-29-2021 3:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunder22 (Post 1877671)
I have 3 34" monitors, this has never happened to me.

I like bananas. :leaving:

snide 04-29-2021 7:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by datawiz (Post 1877773)
I like bananas in my tailpipe. :leaving:

:ball:

snide 04-29-2021 7:26pm

I solved the problem a decade and a half ago by switching to Mac. :yesnod:

Datawiz 04-29-2021 7:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by snide (Post 1877819)
I solved the problem a decade and a half ago by switching to Mac. :yesnod:

That was an awesome career move. :leaving:

snide 04-29-2021 8:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by datawiz (Post 1877824)
That was an awesome career move. :leaving:

True story. Was at a client site in Columbia, MD, as a subcontractor. Had a laptop running Windows. After a couple of weeks on the job, the primary consulting firm changed some settings on their end (we were working on an Oracle database hosted by the prime) and I was no longer able to connect. Which meant that I wasn't able to do my job. I called their tech support line and they essentially told me that since I wasn't one of their employees, that I could go pound sand.

At lunch time, myself and one of the other subcontractors went to the Apple store a mile away. Found a higher end demo laptop, opened a browser and typed in the URL to the database. In just a few seconds, I was up and running, connected to the prime's database. So, I bought a new, $3500, Apple laptop that day. Got back to the client site, opened up the box, set up the machine and went back to work. :yesnod:

The next day, that other subcontractor bought himself a new Apple laptop too. :yesnod:

ratflinger 04-29-2021 9:27pm

Well, isn't that special

dvarapala 04-30-2021 10:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by snide (Post 1877843)
True story. Was at a client site in Columbia, MD, as a subcontractor. Had a laptop running Windows. After a couple of weeks on the job, the primary consulting firm changed some settings on their end (we were working on an Oracle database hosted by the prime) and I was no longer able to connect.

At lunch time, myself and one of the other subcontractors went to the Apple store a mile away. Found a higher end demo laptop, opened a browser and typed in the URL to the database. In just a few seconds, I was up and running, connected to the prime's database. So, I bought a new, $3500, Apple laptop that day. Got back to the client site, opened up the box, set up the machine and went back to work. :yesnod:

So instead of digging in and solving the actual problem, you opted for the shade tree mechanic approach and tried swapping out random things until you got something that worked? :rolleyes:

At the very least I would have made myself a USB thumb drive that booted up in Linux and worked around the problem for free. :D

snide 04-30-2021 11:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvarapala (Post 1877991)
So instead of digging in and solving the actual problem, you opted for the shade tree mechanic approach and tried swapping out random things until you got something that worked? :rolleyes:

At the very least I would have made myself a USB thumb drive that booted up in Linux and worked around the problem for free. :D

The problem was that the prime changed configuration on their Oracle server that prevented me from getting access. Their support department would not work with me to resolve the issue since I was a subcontractor and not one of their employees.

I suppose if I was a whiny little bitch I could have complained to that idiot's manager, or the client engagement manager and got the little shit fired... But would have taken days of lost productivity.

dvarapala 04-30-2021 12:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by snide (Post 1878006)
The problem was that the prime changed configuration on their Oracle server that prevented me from getting access.

And yet simply switching to a Mac "solved" the problem somehow? How is that possible if the issue was on the server end? :waiting:

snide 04-30-2021 7:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvarapala (Post 1878022)
And yet simply switching to a Mac "solved" the problem somehow? How is that possible if the issue was on the server end? :waiting:

Makes no sense to me either. :shrug: But since that was back in 2008, I'm not going to worry about it anymore.

:cheers:

dvarapala 04-30-2021 8:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by snide (Post 1878128)
Makes no sense to me either. :shrug: But since that was back in 2008, I'm not going to worry about it anymore.

:cheers:

That's fine, but the logical conclusion is that it was a problem specific to your Windows laptop, and that changing to another OS - any other OS - would have side-stepped the problem. And Linux don't cost 3500 bucks. :D

snide 04-30-2021 8:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvarapala (Post 1878147)
That's fine, but the logical conclusion is that it was a problem specific to your Windows laptop, and that changing to another OS - any other OS - would have side-stepped the problem. And Linux don't cost 3500 bucks. :D

It was a change in server configuration, as the company admitted changing something on the server. Again, since I was a subcontractor and not their employee, they didn't feel like telling me what setting I needed to change on my laptop. :shrug:

dvarapala 04-30-2021 9:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by snide (Post 1878153)
It was a change in server configuration, as the company admitted changing something on the server. Again, since I was a subcontractor and not their employee, they didn't feel like telling me what setting I needed to change on my laptop. :shrug:

So what sort of "change on the server" would affect only Windows laptops but not Macs? Any chance it could have just been a coincidence? :popcorns:

snide 05-01-2021 6:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvarapala (Post 1878168)
So what sort of "change on the server" would affect only Windows laptops but not Macs? Any chance it could have just been a coincidence? :popcorns:

Oracle stuff. You wouldn't understand.

BayouCountry 05-01-2021 8:00am

Maybe I look at things too simple. It would seem an easy fix by just saving user screen settings in a file and allowing them to revert back to the prior screen settings in the registry. I imagine some programmers wrote their own routine to fix it.

As for Oracle, I feel Snides pain. It seemed I was always having to tweak the client software to access the Oracle databases I seldom worked with. Some vendors only used Oracle databases, so I was stuck trying to find the setting that changed after the last upgrade. I had no problems with Intersystems Cache, MSSQL and other databases.