The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Macho Story About Clint Eastwood (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132127)

Lakota 04-17-2023 7:52pm

Macho Story About Clint Eastwood

1 Attachment(s)
He was a lifeguard during the Korean war and was stationed up in Washington state but yes this is true he and the pilot swam about two miles to shore.

JRD77VET 04-17-2023 8:36pm

https://theaviationgeekclub.com/the-...rn-california/

Anjdog2003 04-17-2023 8:42pm

Clint Eastwood was a lifeguard at Ft. Ord during the Korean War. Tough duty. :spdchk:

Steve_R 04-17-2023 9:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anjdog2003 (Post 2073189)
Clint Eastwood was a lifeguard at Ft. Ord during the Korean War. Tough duty. :spdchk:

My dad was a tail gunner in a bomber in Korea. They got shot down. That’s all I know about his service because when he came home he got a job, got married and raised a family. He never talked about his service. He didn’t get rich or famous either.

Yadkin 04-18-2023 6:07am

My dad was stationed in TX during the Korean war and taught math.

slewfoot 04-18-2023 10:52am

My dad had finished basic, At Ft Eustis Va, they were preparing to ship out to Korea. A truck my dad was in flipped over and a bunch of GI's went flying out.

He broke his leg and that was the beginning and ending of his military career.

JetMechZ16 04-18-2023 11:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by slewfoot (Post 2073372)
My dad had finished basic, At Ft Eustis Va, they were preparing to ship out to Korea. A truck my dad was in flipped over and a bunch of GI's went flying out.

He broke his leg and that was the beginning and ending of his military career.

Ft Useless Va. I remember that place. My kids got all their medical care there when I was in the Navy. I didn't like Navy doctors, still don't.

Mick 04-18-2023 11:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anjdog2003 (Post 2073189)

Do you have a link for that?

I have read many times that him being a lifeguard was a rumor started by his "ex-pal" Sondra Locke after their split. It is a fact that he served during the Korean War era, but was not deployed outside of the US during his service.

Onebadcad 04-18-2023 11:23am

In my senior year in high school, the U.S. Marines set up a recruiting booth outside the school's admin office.
I was headed there one day at the start of my lunch hour to hear them out, but a buddy of mine said he was going for a liquid lunch at the local 7-11.
Well, beers for lunch won me over and I never got to consider my career as a jarhead, probably for the best.

Anjdog2003 04-18-2023 11:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 2073382)
Do you have a link for that?

I have read many times that him being a lifeguard was a rumor started by his "ex-pal" Sondra Locke after their split. It is a fact that he served during the Korean War era, but was not deployed outside of the US during his service.

Eastwood said that he tried to enroll at Seattle University in 1951, but instead was drafted into the United States Army during the Korean War. "He always dropped the Korean War reference, hoping everyone would conclude that he was in combat and might be some sort of hero. Actually, he'd been a lifeguard at Fort Ord in northern California for his entire stint in the military,"

Don Loomis a childhood friend recalled hearing that Eastwood was romancing one of the daughters of a Fort Ord officer, who might have been entreated to watch out for him when names came up for postings. While returning from a prearranged tryst in Seattle, Washington, he was a passenger on a Douglas AD bomber that ran out of fuel and crashed into the ocean near Point Reyes. Using a life raft, he and the pilot swam 2 miles (3.2 km) to safety.

Settling in Piedmont, California as a kid, the Eastwoods lived in an affluent area of the town, had a swimming pool, belonged to a country club, and each parent drove their own car. Eastwood's father was a manufacturing executive at Georgia-Pacific for most of his working life.

Clint has had a rough life. :yesnod:

Anjdog2003 04-18-2023 11:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onebadcad (Post 2073385)
In my senior year in high school, the U.S. Marines set up a recruiting booth outside the school's admin office.
I was headed there one day at the start of my lunch hour to hear them out, but a buddy of mine said he was going for a liquid lunch at the local 7-11.
Well, beers for lunch won me over and I never got to consider my career as a jarhead, probably for the best.

If your IQ was above 9 they wouldn't have taken you anyway.

Mick 04-18-2023 11:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anjdog2003 (Post 2073391)
Eastwood said that he tried to enroll at Seattle University in 1951, but instead was drafted into the United States Army during the Korean War. "He always dropped the Korean War reference, hoping everyone would conclude that he was in combat and might be some sort of hero. Actually, he'd been a lifeguard at Fort Ord in northern California for his entire stint in the military,"

Don Loomis a childhood friend recalled hearing that Eastwood was romancing one of the daughters of a Fort Ord officer, who might have been entreated to watch out for him when names came up for postings. While returning from a prearranged tryst in Seattle, Washington, he was a passenger on a Douglas AD bomber that ran out of fuel and crashed into the ocean near Point Reyes. Using a life raft, he and the pilot swam 2 miles (3.2 km) to safety.

Settling in Piedmont, California as a kid, the Eastwoods lived in an affluent area of the town, had a swimming pool, belonged to a country club, and each parent drove their own car. Eastwood's father was a manufacturing executive at Georgia-Pacific for most of his working life.

Clint has had a rough life. :yesnod:

Link? Who is saying that? Like I said, I've read many times that the lifeguard thing is a rumor.

Anjdog2003 04-18-2023 12:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 2073402)
Link? Who is saying that? Like I said, I've read many times that the lifeguard thing is a rumor.

Google Clint Eastwood

GTOguy 04-18-2023 2:04pm

Eastwood was hitching a ride back to base with the pilot of the dive bomber when it went in (out of fuel IIRC). He swam to shore and survived. The pilot did as well, IIRC.

Back in the late '60's he hit on my stepmother at a Pebble beach golf event. She turned him down and then married my dad. Stepmom was very attractive...a cross between Barbara Carrera and Raquel Welch.

LATB 04-18-2023 2:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yadkin (Post 2073273)
My dad was stationed in TX during the Korean war and taught math.

Hope he survived any paper cuts.

Meanwhile, my dad was “stationed” in Korea during an epic Siberian blizzard.
Part of the 2nd Marine Division out of Camp Lejeune. Where he took a Chinese bayonet to his side in hand to hand combat. Three days before he saw a medic. Constant snowpack on the wound probably saved his life.

Mick 04-18-2023 5:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anjdog2003 (Post 2073408)
Google Clint Eastwood

I have. Link to where you got what you posted?

Yadkin 04-18-2023 5:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LATB (Post 2073486)

Part of the 2nd Marine Division out of Camp Lejeune. Where he took a Chinese bayonet to his side in hand to hand combat. Three days before he saw a medic. Constant snowpack on the wound probably saved his life.

Unlike you, I feel no need to attack a veteran' service. And you did so "stupidly" since you knew no details.

My father is one of the smartest people I know. In junior high, he qualified for a full academic scholarship to Boston College High School. After graduation he went to college for two years then joined the Army Air Corps in 1950. His entrance exam was the highest score recorded that year, so they assigned him to teaching math, physics and ballistics.

During his service, my dad was "volunteered" to witness the first and only firing of the M65 atomic cannon in 1953. "Atomic Annie."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M65_atomic_cannon

LATB 04-18-2023 6:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yadkin (Post 2073644)
Unlike you, I feel no need to attack a veteran' service. And you did so "stupidly" since you knew no details.

My father is one of the smartest people I know. In junior high, he qualified for a full academic scholarship to Boston College High School. After graduation he went to college for two years then joined the Army Air Corps in 1950. His entrance exam was the highest score recorded that year, so they assigned him to teaching math, physics and ballistics.

During his service, my dad was "volunteered" to witness the first and only firing of the M65 atomic cannon in 1953. "Atomic Annie."

M65 atomic cannon - Wikipedia

That’s wonderful.
Too bad he failed you in your math education while he was educating others. :Jeff '79:

higgyburners 04-18-2023 6:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LATB (Post 2073653)
That’s wonderful.
Too bad he failed you in your math education while he was educating others. :Jeff '79:

:rofl:

VITE1 04-18-2023 6:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LATB (Post 2073486)

My Father was in Korea from Sept 1951 to June 1952. Sgt Major 2nd Bat 7th Marines.

He had also served in WWII ( 1/5)

Once the Catholic church allowed cremation he changed his will that day because "I never want to be cold again".