The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   First night at legendary club tonight (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126078)

SnikPlosskin 06-19-2021 1:35pm

First night at legendary club tonight

Lordy Lordy. Some of the folks from Asleep at the Wheel are joining me at Saxon Pub tonight. I heard a rumor people plan out shows. Like they have “song lists” and shit. And they “know songs” and stuff.

This gig will be what is affectionately known as Show and Blow. I’m going to whip some Billie Holiday on those good ‘Ol boys. And Count Basie.

Seriously, Floyd Domino is in the top 1% of players for Western swing, jazz, Boogie Woogie and blues piano. He is also an encyclopedia of the history of American piano styles. Joined The Wheel at age 19 and is George Strait’s piano man too.

Katie Shore has been with the Wheel 8 years. She is a bad ass singer and fiddle player. Rounding it up on drums is Jason Corbierre from Roomful of Blues and Jimmie Vaughan’s band and Johnny Winter bassist Mark Epstein. Who has also played with The Wheel!

What an honor to play with these guys. The Saxon Pub is a landmark in the music business. Bonnie Raitt plays there! :dance: The place is plastered with photos from all the greats who performed on that stage.

I complain a lot here but in reality, I’m blessed.

Austin was where I got my music sensibility as a young man. In my mind, it’s always been THE place to perform. I could not have imagined it playing out like it has.

I may be the luckiest bandleader alive.

snide 06-19-2021 4:37pm

:cool:

69camfrk 06-19-2021 6:08pm

Pete, that passed up cool about 10 miles back!!! Cant' wait to see video!:seasix:

Jeff '79 06-19-2021 6:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69camfrk (Post 1889979)
Pete, that passed up cool about 10 miles back!!! Cant' wait to see video!:seasix:

:iagree: Wish I could be there.:seasix:

markids77 06-19-2021 7:36pm

Slay 'em !!!!

DJ_Critterus 06-20-2021 10:30am

Keep Austin weird :thumbs:

ThePirate 06-20-2021 11:33am

Should be on Austin City Limits.

SnikPlosskin 06-20-2021 12:48pm

1 Attachment(s)
Just. Wow. We sold the joint out. People were going nuts. The band was like a careening train of swing. It had a feel like at any moment it was going to derail - but it doesn't. It felt like both the band and the audience were like "**** it. COVID is over. Let's go for it!"

We played up the "unprepared band" thing. I literally take a seat on the stage and wing it.

I did the 'ol magician thing "Mr. Floyd, have we ever met before this night?" He says "Nope". "Ms. Shore, have we ever met or spoken before this night?" She says "Nope".

"Ladies and gentlemen, I just met these musicians 30 minutes ago an we will now proceed to amaze and amuse you with spirited musical congress right before your very eyes..."

I also locked myself out of my van after loading it at my house before the show. (I told the crowd this story...). We have only one key set.

I freaked. All my gear was in the van. I thought "Who do we know that can break into a van?"

Then I instantly realized: "My neighbor." So we called Michael. We were on our way in eight minutes.

What a crazy night.

Jeff '79 06-20-2021 1:22pm

Awesome :cert:
Jamming is fun stuff and when everyone gets in sync,, the feeling is amazing.
Sounds like you had a lot of good vibrations. :cool1:

JRD77VET 06-20-2021 7:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnikPlosskin (Post 1890146)

I also locked myself out of my van after loading it at my house before the show. (I told the crowd this story...). We have only one key set.

I freaked. All my gear was in the van. I thought "Who do we know that can break into a van?"

Then I instantly realized: "My neighbor." So we called Michael. We were on our way in eight minutes.

What a crazy night.

get a key made and keep it in your wallet. I have one for the 04 Suburban and for the 07 Tahoe ( the Tahoe is a "chipped key" so the one in the wallet will only open the door)

Congrats on a what I can assume was a fantastic show. :cool1:

SnikPlosskin 06-20-2021 7:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRD77VET (Post 1890198)
get a key made and keep it in your wallet. I have one for the 04 Suburban and for the 07 Tahoe ( the Tahoe is a "chipped key" so the one in the wallet will only open the door)

Congrats on a what I can assume was a fantastic show. :cool1:

Yep. This is an odd key in that it’s the fob that has a square end. You stick that in a square hole and turn it. It’s all one piece and something like $250.

DJ_Critterus 06-20-2021 9:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnikPlosskin (Post 1890202)
Yep. This is an odd key in that it’s the fob that has a square end. You stick that in a square hole and turn it. It’s all one piece and something like $250.

Dodge product?

BOTY 06-20-2021 9:52pm

:seasix:

Chemtrails99 06-21-2021 7:04am

Do you happen to know/ play with Carolyn Wonderland? I have no idea why she isn't hugely famous.....

SnikPlosskin 06-21-2021 7:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ_Critterus (Post 1890210)
Dodge product?

Yes. Grand Caravan

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chemtrails99 (Post 1890258)
Do you happen to know/ play with Carolyn Wonderland? I have no idea why she isn't hugely famous.....

Yes. We are friends but have not performed together. She is hardly ever in town.

JetMechZ16 06-21-2021 7:28am

:seasix: Sounds like a really special time. Making great memories makes a great life! :seasix:

Chemtrails99 06-21-2021 8:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnikPlosskin (Post 1890263)

Yes. We are friends but have not performed together. She is hardly ever in town.

First saw her a couple of decades ago after she and the band made a nonstop Texas to Califonia drive to open for Simon Townshend at a tiny club in LA. They were all exhausted, but what an amazing show! Before leaving California I managed to see mst of her SoCal gigs, then heard she got married to AWB and didn't see any more gigs booked. Wasn't surprsied to see whom she is touring with these days when I checked out her website recently. She should be much more famous than she is! I need to catch up on buying a few albums, but her website has no page or links to do so....!

Can't remember her former guitarist's name, but he was way into Wes Montgomery. Wonder if he is still out there making music.....:seasix:

SnikPlosskin 06-21-2021 6:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chemtrails99 (Post 1890287)
First saw her a couple of decades ago after she and the band made a nonstop Texas to Califonia drive to open for Simon Townshend at a tiny club in LA. They were all exhausted, but what an amazing show! Before leaving California I managed to see mst of her SoCal gigs, then heard she got married to AWB and didn't see any more gigs booked. Wasn't surprsied to see whom she is touring with these days when I checked out her website recently. She should be much more famous than she is! I need to catch up on buying a few albums, but her website has no page or links to do so....!

Can't remember her former guitarist's name, but he was way into Wes Montgomery. Wonder if he is still out there making music.....:seasix:

She is hard core on touring because that’s really the only way to make tens of dollars playing blues. I’m hoping she might be in town when we have a date booked. We are now booking well into next year at the Saxon.

I feel like it’s a great privilege to perform there. It’s hard to explain. One doesn’t just saunter into Austin and play there. To be booked for a year is a hell of a validation. Especially since I don’t have a band.

BADRACR1 06-22-2021 8:29pm

Get keys off Ebay. I got two for the daughter in law for like fifty bucks. Most locksmiths can program them for you. I think we ended up like $150 total in two replacements.

SnikPlosskin 06-23-2021 7:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BADRACR1 (Post 1890792)
Get keys off Ebay. I got two for the daughter in law for like fifty bucks. Most locksmiths can program them for you. I think we ended up like $150 total in two replacements.

Will look into that. I think the Dodge will be easier. The 4Runner is much harder because they have a lot of ****ery going on with different fobs, systems, etc.

But, yes. This risk finally caught up with us. Also, now I know how to steal any Dodge van!

1. Find Dodge Caravan
2. Break in
3. Something
4. Drive away
5. Something
6. Profit