The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   My father’s medals (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118288)

Defib1961 12-29-2018 4:26pm

My father’s medals

1 Attachment(s)
Just got these in. Just when I don’t think I can feel more proud of my father, I. Receive these. This represents a time in his life that he just never spoke of.

Attachment 21591

Sea Six 12-29-2018 4:35pm

Very very nice.

Purple Heart

What are the others?

@Norm builds shadow boxes. He doesn't charge anything for his time... only materials.

I wonder what he could come up with for you?

Sea Six 12-29-2018 4:43pm

I looked at this Wikipedia page and don't see any of the other ribbons/ medals you have in your picture.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Awards_and_decorations_of_the_United_States_Armed_Forces

In what country and what service did your father serve? From the boats in the medals I am guessing Navy, Marine or Coast Guard.

Sea Six 12-29-2018 4:46pm

Never mind.

Found them in WWII era medals.

WWII Victory Medal
Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal
European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal
American Campaign Medal
US Navy Occupation Service Medal

I also see a US Navy Honorable Discharge and a USMC Honorable Discharge.

Very nice- any war stories you'd be willing to share?

Antfarmer2 12-29-2018 4:49pm

:patriot::seasix::cert::seasix::patriot:

DAB 12-29-2018 4:58pm

my shadow box will be pretty small. i only have one medal:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antarctica_Service_Medal
:DAB:

:balls:

Sea Six 12-29-2018 4:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 1654502)
my shadow box will be pretty small. i only have one medal:

Antarctica Service Medal - Wikipedia

:DAB:

:balls:

You were in the military and only got one ribbon? Which service were you in?

DAB 12-29-2018 5:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Six (Post 1654503)
You were in the military and only got one ribbon? Which service were you in?

nope, never in the military. but i did spend a year at McMurdo, working for a NSF contractor, doing construction inspection.

this is one of a very few military medals that can also be awarded to civilians.

30 or more days below 60 degrees south earns you a medal. and i also was awarded a Wintered Over bar, since i spent the winter there too.

actually got 2 signed certificates with it. one from the Navy, one from the NSF.

Sea Six 12-29-2018 5:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 1654506)
nope, never in the military. but i did spend a year at McMurdo, working for a NSF contractor, doing construction inspection.

this is one of a very few military medals that can also be awarded to civilians.

30 or more days below 60 degrees south earns you a medal. and i also was awarded a Wintered Over bar, since i spent the winter there too.

actually got 2 signed certificates with it. one from the Navy, one from the NSF.

Very cool.

No pun intended.

:D

Sea Six 12-29-2018 5:04pm

Actually the more I think about it, it's pretty chill.

:leaving:

DAB 12-29-2018 5:09pm

but i'm missing one device. the little round device that would be worn on the ribbon indicating "Wintered Over", a little Bronze (only one winter, would be Gold for 2, Silver for 3 or more) pin with the shape of Antarctica on it.

found them for sale, $2.99+$4.98 shipping.... :toetap:

maybe a gift to myself someday to fill out the collection. have everything else.

Bill 12-29-2018 5:14pm

Dan Dlabay 12-29-2018 5:30pm

Those are some real nice treasures to keep of your dad's service to this great country and to protect our freedom.:patriot::seasix::cert:

mrvette 12-29-2018 6:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 1654506)

Any kids since then???? :issues:

:lol:

Norm 12-29-2018 7:16pm

If you have your Dad's DD214 or any equivalence paperwork, I can put together a nice shadow box for display.

Let me know if you are interested, I can send you some of my sample display boxes via email. Send me a pm.

Defib1961 12-30-2018 9:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Six (Post 1654500)
Never mind.

Found them in WWII era medals.

WWII Victory Medal

Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal

European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal

American Campaign Medal

US Navy Occupation Service Medal

I also see a US Navy Honorable Discharge and a USMC Honorable Discharge.

Very nice- any war stories you'd be willing to share?

Dad was wounded by Japanese artillery on the third day of the battle on Peleliu. Before that day he was on Guadalcanal and
Cape Gloucester. After he recovered he served in the European theatre and was in the Queen Mary (It has been commissioned) when the Japanese surrendered.

His brother was the one that told me about him being wounded. The third day of
The Peleliu battle, a Japanese artillery shell exploded over him and he was hit in the ankle. He told his brother, “Something just told me to move ahead a little bit. I crawled forward just about one body length when the shell exploded.” If he has not moved forward the one body length, he would have been hit in the head.

Sea Six 12-30-2018 9:39am

Awesome story!

He should have some bronze stars for the Asiatic-Pacific Campaign medal that showed he was in more than one enemy engagement in the Pacific Theater.

Did you find those too?

Defib1961 12-30-2018 10:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Six (Post 1654548)
Awesome story!

He should have some bronze stars for the Asiatic-Pacific Campaign medal that showed he was in more than one enemy engagement in the Pacific Theater.

Did you find those too?

Not yet no.

Sea Six 12-30-2018 11:08am

What's the little yellow/gold thing between the Asiatic-Pacific Campaign medal and the Navy Occupation medal?

Looks like it may be an EGA collar insignia, maybe.

Norm 12-30-2018 11:23am

1 Attachment(s)
Could be the "Ruptered Duck", I believe all WWII veterans received one.

http://www.americanwarlibrary.com/theduck.htm