The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   C5 Open Discussion (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Headers are on....now.... (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3340)

zz4vetteguy 07-11-2010 12:30pm

Headers are on....now....

The headers are on and the car sounds great...but, there just seams like there is more of the beast wanting to be unleashed. It is not time to lose the stock axle back and replace it with something else, but what. I THOUGHT I wanted to just get a Z06 TI to put back there, but I think I want something a little more aggressive...but not BB Bullets aggressive (ok I would but since I drive it every day)

What are some suggestions you all have for me on other choices?

WKMCD 07-11-2010 12:45pm

There is a another 3 inch coming to market soon...:yesnod:

Contact Tim - TSTAR - on CF.

tomurphjr 07-11-2010 3:51pm

I really liked the B&B PRT's I had. There was no drone when I had the 2.73 gear out back.

zz4vetteguy 07-11-2010 5:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomurphjr (Post 41232)
I really liked the B&B PRT's I had. There was no drone when I had the 2.73 gear out back.

Were they cat back or axle back? The new system I just put on when to the axles

Y2Kvert4me 07-11-2010 5:23pm

"catback" is a rather generic term.
Concerning C5s, when people refer to that, they mean a muffler system that bolts up at the rear axle flange connection (which 99% of C5 exhaust/header systems retain for compatibility).

Reading the mod party thread, why did you need new header bolts? I've yet to see a header that didn't allow reuse of the stock bolts. :confused5:

:cheers:

zz4vetteguy 07-11-2010 5:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Y2Kvert4me (Post 41244)
"catback" is a rather generic term.
Concerning C5s, when people refer to that, they mean a muffler system that bolts up at the rear axle flange connection (which 99% of C5 exhaust/header systems retain for compatibility).

Reading the mod party thread, why did you need new header bolts? I've yet to see a header that didn't allow reuse of the stock bolts. :confused5:

I was told I should have some just in case.

tomurphjr 07-12-2010 10:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by zz4vetteguy (Post 41241)
Were they cat back or axle back? The new system I just put on when to the axles

They were from the axle back. I had an magnaflow X-pipe.

zz4vetteguy 07-13-2010 5:49am

Anyone know how the Callaways sound?

Cobra4B 07-13-2010 8:40am

If you want soemthing more aggressive than Tis I'd get some Corsa Indys.... they'll be whisper quiet at cruise but loud at WOT.

Peter Pan 07-13-2010 11:26am

I really liked the Corsa Pace Cars I used to havehttp://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...ions/eagle.gif

zz4vetteguy 07-13-2010 6:10pm

I like the way the BB PRT's sound with LTs and I love the way the Speedway Tips look. The more I listen to the car now that the LTs have been on a few days I am reverting back to missing the way my C4 sounded with the bored out cats and straight pipes. I am starting to think I want it to be aggressive sounding all the way around (idle, cruising, & WOT) Maybe on a 1-5 scale a 3 startup/idle, a 2 cruising, and a 4 WOT

paulp 07-13-2010 8:33pm

I took my ti's off and am trying out the xspower axle back and so far i like it. Its loud at wot aggressive at start up and going through the gears and gets quiet cruising and no drone on the interstate. I think ill like it more with lt's and a xpipe to get rid of the boat gurgle it has at idle.

zz4vetteguy 07-14-2010 4:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulp (Post 41414)
I took my ti's off and am trying out the xspower axle back and so far i like it. Its loud at wot aggressive at start up and going through the gears and gets quiet cruising and no drone on the interstate. I think ill like it more with lt's and a xpipe to get rid of the boat gurgle it has at idle.

Did you get them from the other forum? I just installed the XSPower long tubes and they have a good sound to them. I was also looking at that set as well since it is a matched pair.

My office is out in Deep Creek, what section of Chesapeake are you in? Would you mind if I stopped by after work one day and take a listen?

paulp 07-14-2010 6:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by zz4vetteguy (Post 41428)
Did you get them from the other forum? I just installed the XSPower long tubes and they have a good sound to them. I was also looking at that set as well since it is a matched pair.

My office is out in Deep Creek, what section of Chesapeake are you in? Would you mind if I stopped by after work one day and take a listen?

Yea got them from the other forum. Dont mind at all if u want to come by and listen to them im in the great bridge area, i usually get home about 6:30-7 depending on traffic. Just let me know when

Y2Kvert4me 07-14-2010 4:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by zz4vetteguy (Post 41428)
Would you mind if I stopped by after work one day and take a listen?

Keep in mind Paul's car has a moderate cam in it, so it will be louder than what the system would sound like on yours.

My GHLs used to be the perfect compromise...Very deep sounding but not really all that loud. Even with headers and no cats it wasn't crazy-loud.
When I heads/cammed mine is when it became quite loud.
"Ticket me" loud probably describes it best. :D

Although I still think it sounds great (inside and out), and haven't gotten a ticket "yet", I have no desire to change it.
Besides, it's fun to annoy the straight-piped Harley riders who think they have the loudest thing on the road. :rofl:

zz4vetteguy 07-14-2010 6:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Y2Kvert4me (Post 41486)
Keep in mind Paul's car has a moderate cam in it, so it will be louder than what the system would sound like on yours.

SSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHH......don't get my mind working on more then one mod at a time....heads and cam will be next year I hope. :leaving:

paulp 07-14-2010 6:23pm

lol

Y2Kvert4me 07-14-2010 7:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by zz4vetteguy (Post 41498)
SSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHH......don't get my mind working on more then one mod at a time....heads and cam will be next year I hope. :leaving:

Well that's good reason for you to plan ahead.

I'm not saying mod up the engine now too, just consider that in your long term goal. Engine mods do change up the sound of things a LOT!

If you go aggressively loud now, you may find it downright obnoxious after doing heads/cam later on. Might be better to be satisfied with "just ok" for now, and be thrilled with the sound after those further upgrades instead of shopping for a quieter exhaust a year from now.

zz4vetteguy 07-15-2010 6:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Y2Kvert4me (Post 41509)
Well that's good reason for you to plan ahead.

I'm not saying mod up the engine now too, just consider that in your long term goal. Engine mods do change up the sound of things a LOT!

If you go aggressively loud now, you may find it downright obnoxious after doing heads/cam later on. Might be better to be satisfied with "just ok" for now, and be thrilled with the sound after those further upgrades instead of shopping for a quieter exhaust a year from now.

Actually, planned down the road after the rest of the exhaust is rear end (I have 3:12's not sure where I want to go yet), possibly a stall & torque converter, then relatively mild cam and new heads...(prolly while doing the cam/heads, go ahead with an underdrive pulley and loose the stock harmonic balancer since I understand they are notorious for going bad)...prolly spread out over the next 2 to 2.5 years...want to pay cash for everything and not run up my CC

Tulsa Vette Guy 07-28-2010 1:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomurphjr (Post 41232)

I agree, I have LG long tube headers, and B&B PRT's, no cats and 2-1/2" X-pipe. Great sound. :iagree: