The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   C4 Open Discussion (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   storage space (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92019)

Little Bill 12-13-2015 5:00pm

storage space

Question for the guys who have convertibles. I am looking at an '88 convertible, right color, right price. But I have begun to wonder if I go to a car show with the top down is there sufficient room with the top down for a fold up chair and a cooler( small). If not, may have to reconsider and but a mid- 70's simply for the storage when going to a car show. Although a convertible is top desire.

SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84 12-13-2015 8:20pm

sound of crickets...

chevyman_ky 12-13-2015 9:02pm

talked to a guy at a car show last summer he had a c-4 conv. said he could get 2 fold up chairs in it.

SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84 12-14-2015 3:45am

The more I thought about your post, it sounded like you'd be alone?
The passenger seat would hold a good sized cooler and the folding chair(s) in the back?

Little Bill 12-14-2015 5:38am

Thanks guys, normally I have 1 person with me so in reality I would have 2 fold up chairs and probably 2 small coolers plus my container of car wax products.

hcbph 12-19-2015 8:30pm

You need one with the luggage rack on back. If the top is down, you have no storage. With the top up, you could put a couple of small coolers and a couple of chairs that fit in a bag. With the top down you have next to no space for storage. This is all assuming you don't have an open passenger seat.
I have an 86 convertible, that's my issues.

Little Bill 12-21-2015 9:23am

Thanks, hcbph. I put a bid on a 2001$14,000. they were asking $16,000 but they say they have no wiggle room. Even with 100,000 miles on it they stand firm on the price. Oh, well, I have always said the pursuit and acquisition is more fun than the ownership. Quest continues.

hcbph 12-22-2015 7:39pm

If I can offer a thought here, do you know anyone that has a dealers license? I have a friend with one and he's able to bid at car auctions and that's how I acquired my 86. Happens I found the dealers website still had the car info on it and I got it from the auction for quite a bit of change below what they were asking.

Big thing with auctions, there's no mulligans, redo's or remorse. If you get the bid on the vehicle, you bought it and need to be ready to pay right away. Also figure in things like the cost of going and bringing the vehicle back or paying to have it transported to you.

I've so far bought 3 vehicles via a car auction and though each did need some repairs, they were good values overall. As my friend says, dealers don't lie regarding vehicles going to the auction. If caught, no one else will buy their cars in the future so it's in their best interest to be honest about what they're selling.

Just some thoughts.