The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Wrote this song for CFOT (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123292)

ToolMaker 08-06-2020 7:58am

Great job Snake!! :seasix: :cert:

Mike Mercury 08-06-2020 8:24am

Quote:

Wrote this song for CFOT

the sheer negativity there is not something I need.

Oddly, if I post up my art (music) I'm bragging. However, this rule doesn't apply to anyone else.

One douche bag actually got so butt hurt he said "You aren't that good"

dude; like... what did you expect?

Makes no sense to write a good song about CFOT, post it there, then be surprised about all the negativity flung your direction, then to complain about it over here.

Suggestion;
*make songs about places/forums that are friendly... and post it there.
*mention common things about the forum that you appreciate... that others can relate to.

More relateable content.... and posted on the friendlier venue. :thumbs:

SnikPlosskin 08-06-2020 9:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury (Post 1793032)

Makes no sense to write a good song about CFOT, post it there, then be surprised about all the negativity flung your direction, then to complain about it over here.

Suggestion;
*mention common things about the forum that you appreciate... that others can relate to.

That thread was fine. I was speaking generally. But I agree. I’ve been doing a lot lately to cut negativity out of my life. I stayed away from here too since many of the trolls came here. I expect them to show up in this thread eventually.

It is my hope that harassment won’t be tolerated here except for that one guy.

I can break balls with the best of them. But when every thread one posts turns into a contest to argue and belittle, it gets old.

I don’t get the fascination with people attempting to get someone to melt down. One must have a pretty pathetic life to get off on that. Luckily I’ve been around long enough to understand the game.

It’s not that I get butthurt. (I don’t) but it’s stupid. :seasix:

z06psi 08-06-2020 9:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnikPlosskin (Post 1793052)
That thread was fine. I was speaking generally. But I agree. I’ve been doing a lot lately to cut negativity out of my life. I stayed away from here too since many of the trolls came here. I expect them to show up in this thread eventually.

It is my hope that harassment won’t be tolerated here except for that one guy.

I can break balls with the best of them. But when every thread one posts turns into a contest to argue and belittle, it gets old.

I don’t get the fascination with people attempting to get someone to melt down. One must have a pretty pathetic life to get off on that. Luckily I’ve been around long enough to understand the game.

It’s not that I get butthurt. (I don’t) but it’s stupid. :seasix:

#1 starts #2.:yesnod:

I am not musically talented so I have no good opinion to give but your skills sound good to me. :yesnod:

Strats-N-Vettes 08-06-2020 9:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnikPlosskin (Post 1793052)

I bust your chops,
but...

I've never criticized your musical chops....or anybody else's for that matter.

snide 08-06-2020 10:38am

I can't carry a tune in a bucket, so who am I to criticize anyone's musical talent, or lack thereof. :shrug:

Little Red L98. 08-06-2020 11:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strats-N-Vettes (Post 1793060)
I bust your chops,
but...

I've never criticized your musical chops....or anybody else's for that matter.

Not even Kanye? I think he has a lot of talent, but he’s crazy as a loon, and his recent stuff is not as good as his early stuff IMHO. He is one hell of a producer and collaborator.

Strats-N-Vettes 08-06-2020 11:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Red L98. (Post 1793089)
Not even Kanye?

I think he has a lot of talent, but he’s crazy as a loon, and his recent stuff is not as good as his early stuff IMHO. He is one hell of a producer and collaborator.

If I ever see Kanye play an actual instrument .... no. :island14:

Little Red L98. 08-06-2020 11:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strats-N-Vettes (Post 1793091)
If I ever see Kanye play an actual instrument .... no. :island14:

He is more of a producer/writer than a musician. I believe he has chops with keyboard instruments. He might be crazy but he’s no dummy. Just look at his Wikipedia page.

The_Dude 08-06-2020 11:50am

****'em. It's unlikely that any of them would do as well.

MrPeabody 08-06-2020 12:31pm

Snik ain't no Kanye West.

And that's a good thing.:seasix:

Jeff '79 08-06-2020 1:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury (Post 1793032)

Suggestion;

Who here is criticizing ?? Good tuneage Pete !! :seasix:

SnikPlosskin 08-06-2020 7:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff '79 (Post 1793165)
Who here is criticizing ?? Good tuneage Pete !! :seasix:

Nobody yet. But I don’t mind criticizing. What gets old is people just looking for problems. Then doing it on every post one makes. I’ve been in the music business 40 years. I’ve been slammed every which way but loose. Hell I’ve had shot glasses thrown at me. :issues: my Les Paul bears the scars.

My producer is like Simon friggin Cowell. It truly doesn’t bother me. He makes me better. One doesn’t produce an album like my last one without being pushed and with honest criticism.

But I have to wonder about the moral character of someone who would be so derogatory. Even if I was terrible, it’s not something you should say about someone’s passion and art.

I did consider challenging said douche to an online head cutting contest. But I’m not competitive. (Any more. We used to have weekly head cutting sessions in Milwaukee. Absolutely brutal and in front of a live audience. You got judged by applause after the duel. Anyone could walk off the street and challenge the week’s king. So much pointless fun. I got smoked a few times by a guitarist nobody had heard of. Some kid named Kenny Wayne Sheperd.

:dance:

Dan Dlabay 08-06-2020 8:00pm

Sounds good and I like your style.:cert:

ThePirate 08-07-2020 11:42am

Excellent Snick. I only find one type of music that I can't find you playing- Bluegrass. An art form that never has gotten the overall praise it should get. Next time you play here humor me and throw in a little old, timey music. I'll be here "buck dancing" until the cows come home. Sing along it it also. I know that you can do it. Hell, if I can sound reasonable playing G - C- D- Am you would be the bomb and perhaps get you started on a new career. :)

Jeff '79 08-07-2020 1:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnikPlosskin (Post 1793235)
Nobody yet. But I don’t mind criticizing. What gets old is people just looking for problems. Then doing it on every post one makes. I’ve been in the music business 40 years. I’ve been slammed every which way but loose. Hell I’ve had shot glasses thrown at me. :issues: my Les Paul bears the scars.

My producer is like Simon friggin Cowell. It truly doesn’t bother me. He makes me better. One doesn’t produce an album like my last one without being pushed and with honest criticism.

But I have to wonder about the moral character of someone who would be so derogatory. Even if I was terrible, it’s not something you should say about someone’s passion and art.

I did consider challenging said douche to an online head cutting contest. But I’m not competitive. (Any more. We used to have weekly head cutting sessions in Milwaukee. Absolutely brutal and in front of a live audience. You got judged by applause after the duel. Anyone could walk off the street and challenge the week’s king. So much pointless fun. I got smoked a few times by a guitarist nobody had heard of. Some kid named Kenny Wayne Sheperd.

Qusetions about your sonic settings aren't criticisms, just curiosity on your settings.
I find that half the fun of figuring out someone else's song is nailing the sonics.
I'd challenge anyone who criticizes your music to bring it on and throw one down to see how their song is.
That being said, criticizing ones art just comes with the territory. You gotta have thick skin because what's good for one person, may be the opposite for another.
Kinda like politics. :leaving:

MrPeabody 08-07-2020 1:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnikPlosskin (Post 1793235)

I've probably spent more time watching live music in small venues than most people have. While constructive criticism can be a good thing if honestly given and taken, my policy is I will always applaud for any one who just gets on a stage and gives it a try. And if I get a chance, at the end of the show I will personally thank them for making music, because it's a very big and important part of my life, even if I don't have the skill to play it.

SnikPlosskin 08-07-2020 7:11pm

:rofl:s
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff '79 (Post 1793419)
Qusetions about your sonic settings aren't criticisms, just curiosity on your settings.
I find that half the fun of figuring out someone else's song is nailing the sonics.
I'd challenge anyone who criticizes your music to bring it on and throw one down to see how their song is.
That being said, criticizing ones art just comes with the territory. You gotta have thick skin because what's good for one person, may be the opposite for another.
Kinda like politics. :leaving:

Exactly. You learn this early in Art School. If you don’t, you will never survive it. Particularly for commercial art. Until you learn to separate yourself from your art, the corporate world Will earth your ducking lunch. I’ve fired a hell of a lot of prima Donna artists that took things personally.

That’s why I’m absolutely bullet proof. I literally feel nothing if someone criticizes my work (visual, audio, film, design, whatever). Although it’s entertaining when some douch hole is criticizing when they can’t even stand on the same stage with you.

I’ve performed with seven different Grammy winners. (There I said it.) Said douche hole known as MagRedCorvette doesn’t qualify to even suck my dick.

Try working at that level. Talk about harsh assholes. Even the roadies are dicks. :rofl: and some of them can play their asses off. I had a guitar tech that smoked my ass when I was with James Cotton.

I used to teach Graphic Design and Advanced Photography at the University of Wisconsin. The Dean told me my greatest strength was my (his words) “search and destroy” critiques. :) I spared no feelings because I ran an ad agency and Fortune 100 clients would chew us up and spit us out daily. I wanted to prepare those students for the real world. Most thought I was the biggest asshole that lived. A few “got it”. I usually hired them.

SnikPlosskin 08-07-2020 7:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePirate (Post 1793385)
Excellent Snick. I only find one type of music that I can't find you playing- Bluegrass. An art form that never has gotten the overall praise it should get. Next time you play here humor me and throw in a little old, timey music. I'll be here "buck dancing" until the cows come home. Sing along it it also. I know that you can do it. Hell, if I can sound reasonable playing G - C- D- Am you would be the bomb and perhaps get you started on a new career. :)

Ha! A couple years ago I was invited to a private wedding of a major artist. He had two weddings, one public and one private. Of course the room was full of astounding players from all over the world. We jammed together in random groups until the wee hours. Then the acoustics came out and it was all bluegrass. My god it was fun.

I whipped off some lad fills and some chick with fluorescent hair from Hollywood said “holy shit, you can play that thing!” That felt good. Although she was pretty wasted. I surprised myself. When the feeling is right, it’s so easy to scorch.

One dude in a wheel chair started singing. Good lord! Unbelievable voice! Humbling for sure.

I don’t own an acoustic. But in seventh grade, my science teacher used to come in with his brother who played banjo. He played guitar and they would burn the bluegrass. I remember a song called “Mountain Dew”

My brother Bill runs a still on the hill
Where he turns out a gallon or two
And the buzzards in the sky get so drunk they can not fly
Just from sniffing that good old mountain dew.

They call it that old Mountain Dew
And those who refuse it are few
So shut up yer mug and fill up my jug
Of that good ‘ol Mountain Dew

Etc. that’s all I can remember. I love that stuff.