The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   VA Bans Famous WWII Photo of Sailor Kissing Woman after V-J Day (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136703)

Bill 03-05-2024 12:30pm

VA Bans Famous WWII Photo of Sailor Kissing Woman after V-J Day

I hope one of you was holding my beer and watching while I did this.

GTOguy 03-05-2024 12:31pm

:confused5:

Aerovette 03-05-2024 12:36pm

What happened?

Steve_R 03-05-2024 12:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aerovette (Post 2227728)
What happened?

It appears that it is possible to get too far off topic in OT here. :yesnod:

Bill 03-05-2024 12:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aerovette (Post 2227728)
What happened?

It was my thread, so I had the power to nuke the original and repost.

Remember the Vietnam War movie scene where the Americans are being overrun and the commander calls in an airstrike on his own position? That's what happened here. I called in the airstrike, to solve the problem.

04 commemorative 03-05-2024 12:42pm

How ?

LATB 03-05-2024 12:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 04 commemorative (Post 2227745)
How ?

You can actually delete your own thread. :yesnod:

Aerovette 03-05-2024 12:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_daniels (Post 2227742)
It was my thread, so I had the power to nuke the original and repost.

Remember the Vietnam War movie scene where the Americans are being overrun and the commander calls in an airstrike on his own position? That's what happened here. I called in the airstrike, to solve the problem.

Do I need to repost my bitch-**** photo of RimAnAss Nelson ? :D

Bill 03-05-2024 12:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aerovette (Post 2227759)
Do I need to repost my bitch-**** photo of RimAnAss Nelson ? :D

Yes. Yes, you do.

Aerovette 03-05-2024 12:50pm

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_daniels (Post 2227763)
Yes. Yes, you do.

Blame this bitch...

LATB 03-05-2024 12:50pm

I guess I need to keep my opinions to myself, huh? :Jeff '79:

Bill 03-05-2024 12:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LATB (Post 2227768)
I guess I need to keep my opinions to myself, huh? :Jeff '79:

I mean, unless VB wants to be subjected to a Groundhog Day scenario where the same thread keeps getting posted over and over..........

NoOne 03-05-2024 1:44pm

You have got to be shitting me...

I think its going to turn into "Thanks for your service, and sorry for wasting your time".

Tikiman 03-05-2024 2:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aerovette (Post 2227766)
Blame this bitch...

Jabba the Hut has a sister?

StudleyJames 03-05-2024 2:11pm

Maybe she just needs a kiss from a sailor?:leaving:

Tikiman 03-05-2024 2:24pm

I'm telling you, if that were a photo of two hairy men wearing ballerina tutus with brightly colored dildos covering them French kissing, the democrats would have absolutely no issues with it.

Aerovette 03-05-2024 2:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by StudleyJames (Post 2227906)
Maybe she just needs a kiss from a sailor?:leaving:

There's a semen joke there somewhere, but it would take the whole ship to cover that face.

bsmith 03-05-2024 2:51pm

already denying that this is true.

If it were true, it's likely due to the fact that the man in the picture did not know the woman.
He grabbed her on the street and kissed her.

Now it has the backstory of sexual assault linked to it.

Not EVERYTHING is an attempt to further the LGBTQIAQGAFF agenda...

ZipZap 03-05-2024 2:53pm

This why we need X.

To expose the idiocy that exists. Both "sides". Don't care. I hated working with these kind of people.

Even worse when Health and Safety was virtually running the billion dollar company during COVID.

Put light on these any way possible.:seasix:

Steve_R 03-05-2024 2:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsmith (Post 2227954)
already denying that this is true.

It was true, but the head of the VA rescinded it after the SHTF.

Quote:

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Veterans Affairs secretary has reversed a department memo that aimed to ban VA displays of the iconic “V-J Day in Times Square” photograph of a Navy sailor kissing a strange woman on the streets of New York at the end of World War II.

Secretary Denis McDonough acted hours after a copy of a memo from a VA assistant undersecretary requesting the photo’s removal from all VA health facilities was shared on social media. The memo had said the photo “depicts a non-consensual act” and is inconsistent with the department’s sexual harassment policy.

McDonough on Tuesday tweeted out a copy of the image, which appeared in Life magazine, adding, “Let me be clear: This image is not banned from VA facilities — and we will keep it in VA facilities.”

Two people familiar with the memo confirmed that it was authentic and said McDonough had never approved it and rescinded it once informed that it had been sent out. They spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss it publicly.

Copies of the memo racked up millions of views on social media, quickly becoming a political lightning rod.

The photo was taken on Aug. 14, 1945, known as V-J Day, the day Japan surrendered to the United States, as people spilled into the New York City streets from restaurants, bars and movie theaters, celebrating the news. George Mendonsa spotted Greta Friedman, spun her around and planted a kiss. The two had never met.

The photo, by Alfred Eisenstaedt, is called “V-J Day in Times Square” but is known to most people simply as “The Kiss.”