The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Anyone bought from Copart? (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127616)

RMVette 01-12-2022 9:41am

Anyone bought from Copart?

1 Attachment(s)
Well the insurance company has totaled my car after my deer hit and looking at the car it's all body panels, plastic and the hood with no structural damage. I repaired my daughters car after she hit a post last year by buying a painted fender and bumper cover online, however on this one it will need more than that.

I found a totaled car at Copart in La, rear end collision with no damage to the front.

I've registered with Copart to bid on cars, limited amount that they will let me spend without a license.... but the question is has anyone bought from them? Many more added on cost? Good or bad?

Just going over my options at the moment.

Pic of car heading to the body shop for estimate:

Attachment 63099

Thanks all!

DJ_Critterus 01-12-2022 9:42am

How is that totaled?

RMVette 01-12-2022 9:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ_Critterus (Post 1933630)
How is that totaled?

I had the same question... $15K worth of damage, hood, both fenders (folded the metal near the hood when the hood flew up), bumper, radiator support, radiator, condenser, all the crap plastic. 75% of the value of the car vs the repair is what they go by.

Payout for the car is $21,000 (+/-) and byback for the car is $3,400 (+/-). So I'll get a check for $17,600 and the car.

Rodnok1 01-12-2022 10:05am

If check for storage fees, knew someone who won and when I went to get it he owed a shit load for storage. Vehicle had been absolutely stripped inside by workers at the lot too. When i went in to get it workers were taking stuff large and small from every vehicle. Probably depends on location I'm sure.

mrvette 01-12-2022 12:42pm

What is it?? like to have it, looks newer than wife's car, she needs another one.....so how to get it down here to Jax Fl.......

RMVette 01-12-2022 1:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrvette (Post 1933670)
What is it?? like to have it, looks newer than wife's car, she needs another one.....so how to get it down here to Jax Fl.......

My plan is to fix it and give it to my son.

Bill 01-12-2022 1:24pm

Keep in mind that, even if successful in parting out one total to fix another, you'll still end up with a car with a salvage title. Yes, you can drive your money out of it, but when it comes time to sell....no one wants a salvage title.

You'll have to figure what it will cost to purchase both vehicles, have them both shipped to your shop, and what your shop will charge you to put your car back together. Then there's the disposal of the remains of the parts car to consider, although that might be a push if you have it sent to a recycling yard.

Keep in mind that, while you may save on parts by buying a parts car, you'll have the additional expense for labor to remove all those parts from the donor car. If the donor car is the exact same color, that will be a big savings, though.

ZipZap 01-12-2022 1:32pm

The insurance companies understand the used car prices. Accident, or not, if you can repair it do it. I've never heard of Copart, so I can't help you there. Are you sure you can't determine the parts required instead of buying a whole car and paying shipping?

MadInNc 01-12-2022 2:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RMVette (Post 1933678)
My plan is to fix it and give it to my son.

Ya live in Nc.

Drag both in back yard and fix the one, then call to have waste car removed for $500 cash which is avg. price for junker they give here

That’s what Rod would do:yesnod:

RMVette 01-12-2022 2:21pm

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_daniels (Post 1933686)
Keep in mind that, even if successful in parting out one total to fix another, you'll still end up with a car with a salvage title. Yes, you can drive your money out of it, but when it comes time to sell....no one wants a salvage title.

You'll have to figure what it will cost to purchase both vehicles, have them both shipped to your shop, and what your shop will charge you to put your car back together. Then there's the disposal of the remains of the parts car to consider, although that might be a push if you have it sent to a recycling yard.

Keep in mind that, while you may save on parts by buying a parts car, you'll have the additional expense for labor to remove all those parts from the donor car. If the donor car is the exact same color, that will be a big savings, though.

"Salvage" title until you prove repair with the DMV and they will issue a "rebuilt" title. I drive cars for 10 years minimum plus people around here don't seem to car much if the title says "salvage" or "rebuilt". Insurance companies will only let you have libility on the car, no comp if on a "salvage" title. My limit on doing this is $2,000 to $2,500 for the parts car. It's my labor.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZipZap (Post 1933688)
The insurance companies understand the used car prices. Accident, or not, if you can repair it do it. I've never heard of Copart, so I can't help you there. Are you sure you can't determine the parts required instead of buying a whole car and paying shipping?

Whole car with all the parts is easier to source parts from than ordering all the plastic crap that broke under the hood. The one I'm looking at was in a rear end wreck, front totally fine and the same color code as mine. Plus after the donor car is done, it will be sold off again for scrap or parts.

I have a 5 car garage so it'll be easy to pull parts off one and install on the other.

Still thinking about it... not a done deal....

When my daughter wrecked her Lexus I did the same thing but bought painted parts online. The color match was a little off but I didn't care.... she'll hit something again.... :leaving:

This was the Lexus:

Attachment 63103

Attachment 63104

Attachment 63105

ZipZap 01-12-2022 3:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RMVette (Post 1933698)
"Salvage" title until you prove repair with the DMV and they will issue a "rebuilt" title. I drive cars for 10 years minimum plus people around here don't seem to car much if the title says "salvage" or "rebuilt". Insurance companies will only let you have libility on the car, no comp if on a "salvage" title. My limit on doing this is $2,000 to $2,500 for the parts car. It's my labor.

Whole car with all the parts is easier to source parts from than ordering all the plastic crap that broke under the hood. The one I'm looking at was in a rear end wreck, front totally fine and the same color code as mine. Plus after the donor car is done, it will be sold off again for scrap or parts.

I have a 5 car garage so it'll be easy to pull parts off one and install on the other.

Still thinking about it... not a done deal....

When my daughter wrecked her Lexus I did the same thing but bought painted parts online. The color match was a little off but I didn't care.... she'll hit something again.... :leaving:

This was the Lexus:

Attachment 63103

Attachment 63104

Attachment 63105

Nice work on the Lexus. Those headlights alone can put you in the poorhouse. Great you have the space. When I built, that was a necessity:seasix: No kids, but a tractor and implements:rofl:

RMVette 01-12-2022 5:16pm

2 Attachment(s)
Well I may bid on the car at Copart... it's at $125 now and no reserve. Tough part will be to get it from Shreveport to Charlotte! Any takers??? :D

Here's the donor car....

Attachment 63108

Attachment 63109

Rodnok1 01-12-2022 5:25pm

I'd help you with getting home if i could... Love a road trip for stuff like that.

Bill 01-12-2022 5:38pm

You might call a couple of transport companies in Shreveport and ask them for rough quotes. It looks like they'll have to do some extra work to get that loaded and the loose parts securely strapped down. If the car costs you $ 2K and the transport is another $ 2K, plus what you'll have in buying your vehicle back, I think you've got a really good sweat equity project.

RMVette 01-12-2022 5:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_daniels (Post 1933728)
You might call a couple of transport companies in Shreveport and ask them for rough quotes. It looks like they'll have to do some extra work to get that loaded and the loose parts securely strapped down. If the car costs you $ 2K and the transport is another $ 2K, plus what you'll have in buying your vehicle back, I think you've got a really good sweat equity project.

Yep, the transport that Copart has on their website shows $1,579 to ship. The issue will be how to get it off the truck at the house. Looks like it won't roll (totally) but there's nothing wrong with the engine.

After stripping it I could sell back to a junk yard and recoup some $$'s.

RMVette 01-12-2022 5:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodnok1 (Post 1933725)
I'd help you with getting home if i could... Love a road trip for stuff like that.

I may be open to suggestions!

Rikki Z-06 01-12-2022 6:28pm

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by RMVette (Post 1933732)
I may be open to suggestions!

I'm in :yesnod:

Attachment 63113

Rodnok1 01-12-2022 6:28pm

Chain to a tree and yank the trailer out from under it. Problem solved. Throw dollys under back wheels start it up if runs and move it around. I may have done that a few times. If no tree available yank off with a car or truck, can put dollys under it on trailer but they don't do well unless an enclosed trailer and a slight slope. If want to be more gentle engine hoist and lift back and slowly pull trailer out while letting back down so doesn't ruin frt fascia(or remove on trailer so don't damage it before hand). If no hoist jack up put plywood under the back if anything hanging down so it'll slide off trailer.
I don't recommend uhaul trailers for this as not flat if you don't have a trailer and decide to go get it.
It's not really that hard to get them off, in a controlled manner is the issue. Sloped driveways suck :slap:

RMVette 01-12-2022 7:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rikki Z-06 (Post 1933736)
I'm in :yesnod:

Attachment 63113

I need it as intact as possible... it's been totaled once.... :rofl:

Rikki Z-06 01-12-2022 8:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RMVette (Post 1933765)
I need it as intact as possible... it's been totaled once.... :rofl:

:funniest::funniest::funniest::funniest: