The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Git ready (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116689)

Ol Timer 07-11-2018 12:43pm

Git ready

If memory serves, someone posted a video years ago of himself attacking a hornet's nest. Well, I just discovered an active nest under construction on the soffit of my sunroom. As soon as I walked up to the window under the nest, the little bastages started attacking the window.

Anyway, I'm declaring chemical warfare at dusk tonight. Anyone interested in buying a subscription to a live feed? :issues:

snide 07-11-2018 12:44pm

I do believe you're referring to @Fastguy.

Jeff '79 07-11-2018 12:54pm

No but I will definitely pirate it off of Live Leak !
I just shot three big nests down off the exterior of my house.
I sure am glad that they make those cans that spray a stream 10' - 15' feet or so.
That gives you time to soak it and run. :Jeff '79:

Good luck !!

bsmith 07-11-2018 1:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by snide (Post 1636059)

:iagree:

Stevedore 07-11-2018 1:02pm

I just dealt with that myself. I saw a gray paper-looking nest starting on the soffit at the peak of the roof at the end of our house the other day, & it grew to softball size within 2 days.

What are you going to use to get rid of them?

I used Talstar-P in a hose end sprayer; as soon as I blasted them & they started flying out I jumped into my nearby waiting car & waited until they settled down. (Talstar isn't an instant kill) The next day I sprayed the nest with plain water & no more signs of life.

Good luck!

Ol Timer 07-11-2018 1:39pm

Quote:

yes!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevedore (Post 1636063)
I just dealt with that myself. I saw a gray paper-looking nest starting on the soffit at the peak of the roof at the end of our house the other day, & it grew to softball size within 2 days.

What are you going to use to get rid of them?

I used Talstar-P in a hose end sprayer; as soon as I blasted them & they started flying out I jumped into my nearby waiting car & waited until they settled down. (Talstar isn't an instant kill) The next day I sprayed the nest with plain water & no more signs of life.

Good luck!

I'll use the instant kill foam and start at the entrance on the bottom of the nest

Years ago, I had a can of spray and went after a nest. As soon as the first shot hit the nest, a gust of wind came up and broke up the spray. Mad as a hornet is a meaningful phrase.

I screamed and ran like a 5 year old. No stings, but a lesson learned.

mrvette 07-11-2018 1:50pm

O'Reilly AP BRAKE CLEANER......instant kill....the whole nest funny to watch them fall away .......then pop the nest/mud off the structure....dun.....

total time maybe as much as 4 minits.....

:seasix::hurray:

VITE1 07-11-2018 1:52pm

Nasty little f**kers. I sue to go around early in the season and spray the places I'd found them building before.

If you have a pool or open water they really like your house.

Black94lt1 07-11-2018 5:29pm

Several years ago when we first moved into this house, I found a small hole in the rim joist on the back of the house and one day while working outside near that I noticed one fly in and out of that hole. Shortly after that I was stung. I went to the basement and after pulling down some of the insulation in the floor, found a basketball sized nest attached to the bottom of the subfloor :ohnoes: After hurrying out to the store for several cans of spray and soaking the nest and shopvacing it up, I had the nest gone and the hole sealed up. There were literally thousands of larvae in that nest ready to hatch inside my house!

Bill 07-11-2018 5:43pm

Malathion. When you absolutely, positively, have to kill every mother****ing wasp in the nest, accept no substitutes.

Ol Timer 07-11-2018 6:05pm

I went out to plan my attack and realized that I can’t get close enough from the ground to get a reliable stream of foam on the nest. My next tool is the phone.

My Bug Zero Guy will be here at 7:00 AM. I’m getting wiser as I get older. Sorry, no video. :seasix:

mrvette 07-11-2018 6:13pm

Well, we can go to an auto parts house, like O'reilly and pay 4-5 bux a can, and so for the nest that size....two cans, ten bux.....

or go to some store and pay ten times the amount and get slow response time in killing the bugs......

your choice.....:lol::cert:

lspencer534 07-11-2018 6:45pm

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 17120

JRD77VET 07-11-2018 7:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol' Timer (Post 1636058)
If memory serves, someone posted a video years ago of himself attacking a hornet's nest. Well, I just discovered an active nest under construction on the soffit of my sunroom. As soon as I walked up to the window under the nest, the little bastages started attacking the window.

Anyway, I'm declaring chemical warfare at dusk tonight. Anyone interested in buying a subscription to a live feed? :issues:

Quote:

:iagree:

:funniest:

marrepka 07-11-2018 7:46pm

Quote:

:iagree: Good thread