The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Bought my youngest a car (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118859)

69camfrk 03-08-2019 6:01pm

Bought my youngest a car

1 Attachment(s)
Nope, not a Corvette. I found a reasonable deal on a 2003 Mustang Mach 1. Paint is only driver quality (true 10 footer) but the interior is clean, the body is in good shape, and it is pretty clean under the hood. I had my oldest son drive it back from Albany Ga today. My youngest is tickled with it, and obviously, we will have to lower it in the near future to make it look right. It does have '04 OEM Cobra wheels, which I like much more than the stock Mach 1's. It has a nice radio, cold air intake, and a X pipe with Flowmaster's. Sounds fantastic. In the long run, the car will appreciate if he takes good care of it. The color is a one year only too. Hopefully he gets many good miles and smiles out of it.:seasix:

Attachment 23887

Antfarmer2 03-08-2019 6:41pm

So excited it takes two hands. :drivingskid:

86RAG 03-08-2019 7:50pm

That is one big ass smile on his face! :cert:

markids77 03-08-2019 8:17pm

He's gonna shoot his eye out with that! (JK) Nice looking ride.

boracayjohnny 03-08-2019 8:54pm

That's a damn nice first car, James. :seasix::cert:

JRD77VET 03-08-2019 8:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by boracayjohnny (Post 1661281)
That's a damn nice first car, James. :seasix::cert:

:iagree:

Hope it turns out to be a great ride for him :yesnod:

tjfontaine 03-08-2019 10:00pm

Should have made him work and buy his own car ....

Black94lt1 03-09-2019 1:57am

Nice car, he looks ecstatic!

Datawiz 03-09-2019 6:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjfontaine (Post 1661290)
Should have made him work and build his own car ....

:leaving:

69camfrk 03-09-2019 7:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjfontaine (Post 1661290)
Should have made him work and buy his own car ....

Truth is, he will start working when he hits 16, and will need a car. Both my sons are straight A students, they stay out of trouble, etc. Not a lick of a problem for me to buy them a car.:seasix: Not like I went out and bought them a new C7 and said have at it. Hell, that Mustang is older than my kid.

bill_daniels 03-09-2019 7:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69camfrk (Post 1661306)
Truth is, he will start working when he hits 16, and will need a car. Both my sons are straight A students, they stay out of trouble, etc. Not a lick of a problem for me to buy them a car.:seasix: Not like I went out and bought them a new C7 and said have at it. Hell, that Mustang is older than my kid.

Exactly. You'll need a graduation present, and you want it to be a nice one.

:dance:

StaticCling 03-09-2019 7:57am

Those are really neat cars. I worked with a guy that bought one in 2003, and had the opportunity to buy it a number of years ago...I probably should have.

Those motors are significantly different from the standard Ford Modular V8. They are 4 Valve DOHC, versus the 2 Valve SOHC used in the regular GT. Plus I believe they are all aluminum, whereas the GT used a cast iron block and aluminum heads. They have higher compression and I believe the horsepower numbers were actually underated on those.

At any rate, that is a REALLY cool car and it is definitely a collectible. Make sure he takes care of that thing, it's a special one! :seasix:

Oh, and the interiors are really cool on those. Comfort Weave seats, and retro instrument cluster. COOL!

Brubie 03-09-2019 7:59am

Nice first ride. The smile says it all. 😎

69camfrk 03-09-2019 8:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by chinaski (Post 1661309)
Those are really neat cars. I worked with a guy that bought one in 2003, and had the opportunity to buy it a number of years ago...I probably should have.

Those motors are significantly different from the standard Ford Modular V8. They are 4 Valve DOHC, versus the 2 Valve SOHC used in the regular GT. Plus I believe they are all aluminum, whereas the GT used a cast iron block and aluminum heads. They have higher compression and I believe the horsepower numbers were actually underated on those.

At any rate, that is a REALLY cool car and it is definitely a collectible. Make sure he takes care of that thing, it's a special one! :seasix:

Oh, and the interiors are really cool on those. Comfort Weave seats, and retro instrument cluster. COOL!

Those are reasons that I bought it. It has an automatic, which I didn't want, but the price was really good. A fresh paint job, and the car would look new, but even at that, it should appreciate as long as it is kept up. My oldest son has a C5, and he really keeps it up, and has enjoyed having it. Like I said in another post, I don't mind doing things like that for my kids as long as they hold up their end of the deal, which without a doubt they will. Thank goodness they are nothing like me! They would both be driving shit boxes if that were the case!

ToolMaker 03-09-2019 9:36am

You Sir are a great Dad!

This car reminds me very much of the 71 Mach 1 I bought used in 73! :yesnod:

69camfrk 03-09-2019 9:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_daniels (Post 1661307)
Exactly. You'll need a graduation present, and you want it to be a nice one.

:dance:

We went on a family cruise with a couple of neighbors when my eldest graduated. Had an absolute ball.

StaticCling 03-09-2019 9:57am

How bad is the paint? Sometimes doing a correction with a Porter Cable and some good polish can really clean things up. Have the bumpers repainted etc. Is there flaking clear coat or something?

69camfrk 03-09-2019 12:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chinaski (Post 1661321)
How bad is the paint? Sometimes doing a correction with a Porter Cable and some good polish can really clean things up. Have the bumpers repainted etc. Is there flaking clear coat or something?

Overall it is not terrible, but there are places that no amount of buffing will take care of. I feel certain this has been an outdoor car. We have been taking care of what we can with some buffing compound this morning. It really needs a re-shoot, but it can wait a year or so. He gets his learners permit in two weeks, and I want him to have as much practice as he can get in the car he will be driving. The car is obviously not all that and a bag of chips, but it seems pretty solid, and everything so far, works. Air blows ice cold, etc. Once I get some lowering springs on it, and the chin spoiler back on it should look pretty jam up. In case anyone wonders what I paid for it, I gave $6950 for it with 136k miles on it. By far the cheapest Mach 1 I found. It had been traded in at a Chrysler dealer in Albany. Fortunately for me, they had already put brand new tires on it.:seasix: I'm not sure how folks here feel about Chrysler's, but the people at that dealer treated me like gold even though I was buying an old used car. And I got me a jam up SRT hat for free. If I were to ever buy a Mopar, it would be from them.

78SA 03-09-2019 6:38pm

So he is your least favorite. :lol:

Olustee bus 03-09-2019 7:53pm

Going to be re nice. Glad for hom.