The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Looks like we dodged a bullet coming back from Nebraska. (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129630)

Datawiz 09-16-2022 7:39am

Looks like we dodged a bullet coming back from Nebraska.

1 Attachment(s)
In prepping for this weekend's local race, I noticed the trailer tires. All 4 inside shoulders looked like this one. :willy:

New tires installed this morning already. :hurray:

Mick 09-16-2022 7:40am

What do you think caused that?

Tikiman 09-16-2022 7:45am

Glad that nothing bad happened. I was just checking my trailer tires the other day and, despite having lots of tread, they are old and beginning to dry rot. Four new tires coming soon.

Datawiz 09-16-2022 7:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 1990205)
What do you think caused that?

Tight turns on a solid axle with no differential would be my guess. Trailer tires have a tendency to drag in tight turns. Lotta miles on those tires too...Charlotte, NC, Bristol, TN and then Lincoln, NE.

Strats-N-Vettes 09-16-2022 7:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Datawiz (Post 1990211)
Tight turns on a solid axle with no differential would be my guess.

That; and also axle flex under load.

DJ_Critterus 09-16-2022 8:22am

:banghead: I gotta buy 6 new tires for Das Boat's trailer, too, but I only move it 150yds at a time from storage to the water, so I can hold off for a little bit.

ptindall 09-16-2022 9:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Datawiz (Post 1990211)
Tight turns on a solid axle with no differential would be my guess. Trailer tires have a tendency to drag in tight turns.

Not really. Diff has nothing to do with it as each tires is already free to turn independant of the one on the opposite side. Tight turns are hard on them, but for every tire being dragged outboard, there is one being dragged inboard. Therefor inside edge and outside edges should be equally worn and they are not. This is an alignment issue. Probably some combination of camber and toe. Of course the alignment is not adjustable so if you don't have bent axles I guess you just have to live with replacing the tires periodically.

My utility trailer I use to tow my RZR did the same thing. I assume a previous owner overloaded it at some point and bent the axle. I went to a trailer store and bought a new axle. They even stock them at Tractor Suppy.

mrvette 09-16-2022 9:37am

ASSuming the other tire,s,....are worn similar, just swap sides, keeping the same rotation direction......I did that for 20 bux on back of my '72 vette, in the rear, worn link in the suspension, but between my skeleton and the weather....and the fact I don't drive it much these daze.....I in no hurry....

may consider similar for yawl's shituations.....

:issues::issues::seasix:

VatorMan 09-16-2022 10:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptindall (Post 1990261)
Not really. Diff has nothing to do with it as each tires is already free to turn independant of the one on the opposite side. Tight turns are hard on them, but for every tire being dragged outboard, there is one being dragged inboard. Therefor inside edge and outside edges should be equally worn and they are not. This is an alignment issue. Probably some combination of camber and toe. Of course the alignment is not adjustable so if you don't have bent axles I guess you just have to live with replacing the tires periodically.

My utility trailer I use to tow my RZR did the same thing. I assume a previous owner overloaded it at some point and bent the axle. I went to a trailer store and bought a new axle. They even stock them at Tractor Suppy.

Good point. You might want to check if the axles are straight.

Grey Ghost 09-16-2022 10:09am

Quote:

Bad wheel bearings?

GTOguy 09-16-2022 10:18am

Over the past 10-15 years, all rubber made is inferior due to 'green' policies. Trailer tires that used to last years now turn into bombs at 3 or 4 years of age, car tires 6 or 7. Tires used to last 15-20 years or more. It's all about turning the water temp up slowly so we don't notice how shitty the 'new normal' really is.

Strats-N-Vettes 09-16-2022 10:26am

Quote:

Tight turns are hard on them.

I took what he wrote as exactly that...non steering.

Rodnok1 09-16-2022 1:20pm

Trailer tires don't scrub in turns like that, i would also recommend checking axles for straightness.
That's a severe amount of wear, is there anything they could rub on when bounces (compresses)?
It's not alignment as all 4 same condition.
I've seen many trailers be overloaded and bend axles in.

ratflinger 09-16-2022 5:11pm

Good catch. My Dad changed the tires on his RV every other year, regardless.

Datawiz 09-16-2022 5:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodnok1 (Post 1990370)
Trailer tires don't scrub in turns like that, i would also recommend checking axles for straightness.
That's a severe amount of wear, is there anything they could rub on when bounces (compresses)?

It's an older trailer, but I can't believe that a C8 is overloading this trailer. Now that I know how it behaves, I'll just monitor tire wear. Stark, FL - Charlotte, NC - Bristol, TN - Lincoln, NE is about 8,000 miles. Will likely do some SCCA track days in 2023 as well. I may just need to plan on replacing tires every year. At $466 installed, it's a no-brainer.

Bill 09-16-2022 5:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Datawiz (Post 1990463)
It's an older trailer, but I can't believe that a C8 is overloading this trailer. Now that I know how it behaves, I'll just monitor tire wear. Stark, FL - Charlotte, NC - Bristol, TN - Lincoln, NE is about 8,000 miles. Will likely do some SCCA track days in 2023 as well. I may just need to plan on replacing tires every year. At $466 installed, it's a no-brainer.

Monitor the new tires, and before they get to that point, have them dismounted and installed flipped over.

Datawiz 09-16-2022 5:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_daniels (Post 1990467)
Monitor the new tires, and before they get to that point, have them dismounted and installed flipped over.

The fee to flip them isn't much different than just replacing them. Pretty sure I'll just make it an annual thing. Replace these bitches.

I need to find a Class C RV next. :yesnod:

GTOguy 09-16-2022 5:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodnok1 (Post 1990370)

Good observation, and easy to check with a string and a weight or a level. Check for negative camber....the tops of the tires tilted inward toward the trailer. Will cause excessive wear (as illustrated by the OP) on the inboard edge of the tire.

MikeB 09-16-2022 5:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Datawiz
Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_daniels

The fee to flip them isn't much different than just replacing them. Pretty sure I'll just make it an annual thing. Replace these bitches.

I need to find a Class C RV next. [/quote]

https://c.tenor.com/XYMCSWgDsJkAAAAM/do-it.gif

Looks good to me... https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/a...1&d=1517670774