The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   DD AC Recharge (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129166)

Grey Ghost 07-30-2022 12:05am

DD AC Recharge

DD was blowing warm air in this crazy heat wave this year. Is it just me or has this summer been worse than others?

Anyways, went to O'O'O'Reillys to rent a vacuum pump, gauge set, cans of R134, etc...I've always been told not to mess with the high side unless absolutely a good reason to do so. Hooked up low side and drew a vacuum for about 45 min. Tried to add the R134 and it never would draw it in. I was about to jump down that rabbit hole and convince myself I had a bad compressor, relay, blend doors and whole list of things to frustrate and aggravate me just to try to get some cold air blowing. I screwed around with the low pressure hose for about 15 minutes and found out it wasn't really going down enough to press the schrader valve enough to work correctly. I finally got it mangled enough to work and it took the R134. CRAPPY AZZ LOANER TOOLS about had me chasing my tail, wasting time, money, etc...for a faulty hose.

I was mad for a bit and then realized I don't have to buy/install a compressor or chase non-existent problems. I don't know whether to tell them when I turn it back in or not. The kids behind the counter didn't know a thing about AC service when I went to get the stuff. I asked two or three simple questions they couldn't answer while there. Blank stares and "I don't know".

allthrottleandsomebottle 07-30-2022 4:51am

Yep, always start with the basics....had that one before and a leaking one too!...like you said, twas an easy fix!

Rodnok1 07-30-2022 7:33am

A good reason not to use the loan a tool... 75% of the time something is broken or wrong with it.

Yadkin 07-30-2022 12:04pm

A vacuum and gauge set is not that expensive, cheaper than having a shop do the job. I justify many tool purchases that way.

GTOguy 07-30-2022 1:16pm

Funny how in other states you guys live in you can buy refrigerant over the counter and charge your own cars. Here in CA, I have to show my ASE recovery certificate I got back in 1990 to buy commercial R-12 or R134a. Joe Blow can't buy the stuff. I guess it's like ammunition or non-ethanol gas. Can't buy a lot of things in my home state anymore. But the government DOES give out free needles, free crack pipes, and free Narcan kits to keep the drug addicts thriving and multiplying. So there's that...

mrvette 07-30-2022 1:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTOguy (Post 1975167)
Funny how in other states you guys live in you can buy refrigerant over the counter and charge your own cars. Here in CA, I have to show my ASE recovery certificate I got back in 1990 to buy commercial R-12 or R134a. Joe Blow can't buy the stuff. I guess it's like ammunition or non-ethanol gas. Can't buy a lot of things in my home state anymore. But the government DOES give out free needles, free crack pipes, and free Narcan kits to keep the drug addicts thriving and multiplying. So there's that...

:dance::lol:

Figgers......BUT illegal drugs can't be COOL anymore without Freon.....

:seasix:

m and t's77 07-30-2022 8:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTOguy (Post 1975167)

Live Free Or Die.

Got the a/c card still,though I never had to prove it.