The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Ethnic bars (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76555)

Aerovette 01-26-2015 1:53pm

Ethnic bars

Anyone ever go to one? I remember being in my late 20s and going to a Houston bar called Cartoons and me and my buddy being the only two white people in the whole place. I will tell you, we never bought one drink, danced with all kinds of wimminz, and had a group hanging with us that we had fallin' out from laughing so hard. We were the life of the party. It was a great time. I don't think I'd do that today though. :D

onedef92 01-26-2015 2:08pm

and shet....

MrPeabody 01-26-2015 2:12pm

Where I live, we have two kinds of bars. Raiders and 49ers.:yesnod:

Aerovette 01-26-2015 2:15pm

Ethnic bras, bars, whatever.

Yep, that was exactly how we thought it was going to go (Animal House), but it was really cool. It wasn't really intentional. The club used to be called something else and we went there all the time. It changed names and we went to check it out. We walked in, paid the cover, swung open the double doors and had this "Uh-oh" moment. I told him I was going to go take a leak and then we'd go. I came back from the bathroom and he was dancing with two women. They motioned for me to join them and we ended up staying for hours.

(Is this still a parrot? I 'm not sure anymore. :lol:)

onedef92 01-26-2015 2:34pm

(Is this still a parrot? I 'm not sure anymore)

Don't axe me. I just come for the free appetizers after 5 p.m.

69camfrk 01-26-2015 2:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by onedef92 (Post 1306168)
(Is this still a parrot? I 'm not sure anymore)

Don't axe me. I just come for the free appetizers after 5 p.m.

You too????:D

8Up 01-26-2015 4:28pm

When I lived in Japan (OK I was stationed in Japan) my Japanese GF used to take me places in Naha where I was the only round eye for miles. Bars, restaurants, movie theaters, I think she was trying to find someone to kick my white ass. I was usually at least half a head taller than 90% of the people around me. I slouched down in the movies so as not to impede the view of the folks behind me. There is no way they would stoop so low as to get mad about it or heaven (or Buddha) forbid, ask me to move. So I just slouched for hours just so they would be able to see. My GF was about 4'10", I'm 5'10" with shoes on.

lspencer534 01-26-2015 4:41pm

OP, I'm just kinda free associating about this. I, too, went to a black bar in my 20s-30s with no problems. NaNa (for Nathaniel) was my best friend. He gave me jewel of a piece of advice about women: We were talking about girl-on-girl action. and I told him I didn't know any women who'd do that. He finally said, "I don't know any who wouldn't...."

I doubt that I'd tried to repeat going to black bars now. Times have changed a lot, and I just don't feel the unity I once did.

OddBall 01-26-2015 6:06pm

You were in a black bar called "Cartoons"

Guess you were "Casper"

island14 01-26-2015 6:25pm

There was a bar on the west side of town that we use to go to quite often that was open after hours.

No liquor license and about everyone knew about it, but for some reason no one cared, and never got raided that I can remember.

You had to know someone to get in, but once they knew you, it was ok to bring your friends also.

We had a lot of good times there and never any problems.

Might even still be open to this day.. :island14:

Dan Dlabay 01-26-2015 7:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by island14 (Post 1306354)
There was a bar on the west side of town that we use to go to quite often that was open after hours.

No liquor license and about everyone knew about it, but for some reason no one cared, and never got raided that I can remember.

You had to know someone to get in, but once they knew you, it was ok to bring your friends also.

We had a lot of good times there and never any problems.

Might even still be open to this day.. :island14:

Back in the early 80's we went to a after hours bar just west of the 3rd street bridge. They had plenty of booze, good food and gambling. The owners were black but most of the customers were white. Never any problems. The place is gone now.:cert:

VetteBoy1979 01-26-2015 9:36pm

Head over to Skinnys on Fry. I think it's close to you. Should bring back some memories.

Blue 92 01-26-2015 9:47pm

Many years ago I worked for a line and uniform supply company 10 years.

I've been in every type of bar you can think of, from "Ethnic" to redneck to disco to good old boy farming communities.

Don't even ask about restaurant kitchens........

Aerovette 01-26-2015 10:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by VetteBoy1979 (Post 1306449)
Head over to Skinnys on Fry. I think it's close to you. Should bring back some memories.

If I knew I would survive, I'd go. I looked at it on line. I'll bet that place is a hoot.

NEED-A-VETTE 01-26-2015 10:17pm

I like the bars in Korea town. They're some hard drinkin' mofos. :funny:

The ethnic bras aren't bad, either.

:leaving:

Aerovette 01-26-2015 10:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEED-A-VETTE (Post 1306467)
I like the bars in Korea town. They're some hard drinkin' mofos. :funny:

The ethnic bras aren't bad, either.

:leaving:

I worked for a Japanese company for many years and talk about drinking. They'd be fall down drunk and in at 6:00 am like nothing happened.

NEED-A-VETTE 01-26-2015 10:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerovette (Post 1306469)
I worked for a Japanese company for many years and talk about drinking. They'd be fall down drunk and in at 6:00 am like nothing happened.

Tell me about it. I was at a karaoke bar in Japan. Two things they don't take lightly: drinking and karaoke. :rofl:

Fastguy 01-26-2015 10:49pm

Years ago my buddy and I along with two girls were waiting in line to go into some club in Boston. It was probably around 5* out and we got stuck otuside. After about 15 minutes we said, "funk this" and walked to another club around the block. We get inside and realize it was a latino club and we were the only crackers there. My date was the only blonde in the entire club. The girls started dancing and everything was cool but it was a bit odd at first.

...Whitepower... 01-26-2015 10:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerovette (Post 1306134)
I don't think I'd do that today though. :D

I do it weekly.

Aerovette 01-26-2015 11:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ...Whitepower... (Post 1306480)
I do it weekly.

:lol:

I'll go with you then. :seasix: