The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   GWiz got the green light... (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119531)

Datawiz 06-10-2019 4:22pm

GWiz got the green light...

To build her cloud-based POC to manage 40k data points and automate graphing. She'll have it knocked out by this weekend. :rofl:

JUST WATCH where this goes.... ;)

DAB 06-10-2019 6:03pm

POC?

enlighten the unwashed, what is she doing? what goes in, what comes out?

Bill 06-10-2019 6:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by datawiz (Post 1673172)
To build her cloud-based POC to manage 40k data points and automate graphing.

https://i.imgflip.com/14u3si.jpg

Datawiz 06-10-2019 7:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 1673176)
POC?

enlighten the unwashed, what is she doing? what goes in, what comes out?

Proof of Concept. She'll have working software eliminating her own job, and that of many more, and giving management insights that they've never had before...in real time. :seasix:

erickpl 06-11-2019 9:22am

So she's much more than a mechanical engineer/designer. She works on business/production processes too?

What's her specialty at Ga Tech?

dvarapala 06-11-2019 9:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 1673176)
POC?

Piece Of Crap? :shrug:

Datawiz 06-11-2019 10:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by erickpl (Post 1673214)
So she's much more than a mechanical engineer/designer. She works on business/production processes too?

What's her specialty at Ga Tech?

She doesn't specialize at GT. She was going to go with an automotive concentration, but ultimately didn't like the classes. She's worked with my company for the past 4 years analyzing business requirements, and writing software in the cloud to implement/automate those needs. She seems to be a natural at that, and she really enjoys it. Having an opportunity to use both sets of skills at one company would be exciting to her.

dwjz06 06-11-2019 10:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by datawiz (Post 1673172)
To build her cloud-based POC to manage 40k data points and automate graphing. She'll have it knocked out by this weekend. :rofl:

JUST WATCH where this goes.... ;)

:seasix::cert:

Mike Mercury 06-11-2019 10:19am

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...n1ct5iVvGQYQiw

Stangkiller 06-11-2019 12:15pm

Woohoo very cool!

RonC5 06-11-2019 1:19pm

So when will she write software that puts you out of work? :D

DAB 06-11-2019 1:36pm

Hal, make me dinner.

I’m sorry G, I’m afraid I can’t do that.

Datawiz 06-11-2019 2:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonC5 (Post 1673229)
So when will she write software that puts you out of work? :D

Nope. I make money when she writes software for my client. :D

tjfontaine 06-11-2019 3:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by datawiz (Post 1673218)
She doesn't specialize at GT. She was going to go with an automotive concentration, but ultimately didn't like the classes. She's worked with my company for the past 4 years analyzing business requirements, and writing software in the cloud to implement/automate those needs. She seems to be a natural at that, and she really enjoys it. Having an opportunity to use both sets of skills at one company would be exciting to her.

Craig - I think I mentioned before - that is EXACTLY what I did. I had computer skills from 4 years in the NAVY and another 3 working part time in I.T. before I graduated in Mechanical Engineering. I started as a process (mfg) engineer, and moved on to CAD and CAM support from there. Got into the support area for all kinds of different scientific and engineering software, rose through the ranks, got swallowed up into I.T., and became the IT director for world wide Engineering and R&D for our company. I had 150+ staff members in my area. I loved combining BOTH SKILLSETS almost no one could walk and talk high tech Engineering and Science AND I.T. stuff so it really helped my career. Retired young and living the good life now.

Datawiz 06-11-2019 4:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjfontaine (Post 1673238)
Craig - I think I mentioned before - that is EXACTLY what I did. I had computer skills from 4 years in the NAVY and another 3 working part time in I.T. before I graduated in Mechanical Engineering. I started as a process (mfg) engineer, and moved on to CAD and CAM support from there. Got into the support area for all kinds of different scientific and engineering software, rose through the ranks, got swallowed up into I.T., and became the IT director for world wide Engineering and R&D for our company. I had 150+ staff members in my area. I loved combining BOTH SKILLSETS almost no one could walk and talk high tech Engineering and Science AND I.T. stuff so it really helped my career. Retired young and living the good life now.

That's an awesome story, and it also confirms that her unique mix of skillsets should probably help her advance much more quickly, no matter where she ends up. The best part about her is she doesn't need to be told, she just observes and makes recommendations for process improvements.

GentleBen 06-12-2019 10:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by datawiz (Post 1673231)
Nope. I make money when she writes software for my client. :D

If she is working as an intern to Schlumberger how do you make money from her efforts? It would seem that she is paid directly by the company and not as a subcontractor to your effort.

'Splain please.

Datawiz 06-12-2019 10:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by GentleBen (Post 1673329)
If she is working as an intern to Schlumberger how do you make money from her efforts? It would seem that she is paid directly by the company and not as a subcontractor to your effort.

'Splain please.

I don't make money off of SLB, she ALSO works for me on my concrete client and has been working for my company for 4 years. She does this during off hours at her apartment. She logs a lot of time on that account, she makes monster money for a kid her age, and I make a little bit too for every hour she works.

GentleBen 06-26-2019 10:47am

So how did the POC go? If she had the processes ready to test on the 10th or so the test should be completed by now.

Chuck A 06-26-2019 1:39pm

Very cool indeed

Datawiz 06-26-2019 2:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by GentleBen (Post 1674636)
So how did the POC go? If she had the processes ready to test on the 10th or so the test should be completed by now.

She's still building it and it's ROBUST!!