The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Soap question (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119046)

69camfrk 04-02-2019 5:09pm

Soap question

Ok, is it just me, or is there something to this? It seems like back in the day, a bar of soap would last for hell and ever. Now, if you get a week out of one, it's a miracle. Quick dissolving formula???

Datawiz 04-02-2019 5:10pm

Likely.

Barn Babe 04-02-2019 5:25pm

Like, how long ago? When you were a kid? You're bigger now, so you use more of it. :D

Mike Mercury 04-02-2019 5:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69camfrk (Post 1664756)
a bar of soap would last for hell and ever. Now, if you get a week out of one, it's a miracle.

how about.... stop buying soap that's shaped like a

penis.

69camfrk 04-02-2019 5:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury (Post 1664759)
how about.... stop buying soap that's shaped like a

penis.

Ahhh...You Mistah funny man!:D I'll have you know that I use Irish Spring for that fresh drinking in the shower smell...

69camfrk 04-02-2019 5:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barn Babe (Post 1664758)
Like, how long ago? When you were a kid? You're bigger now, so you use more of it. :D

You're getting technical here BB! Hell, I don't know if I'm talking 5 years ago or 15. All I know is the shit don't last long!!:leaving:

Barn Babe 04-02-2019 5:46pm

Maybe you're bigger than you were 5 years ago... :leaving:

mrvette 04-02-2019 5:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69camfrk (Post 1664764)
You're getting technical here BB! Hell, I don't know if I'm talking 5 years ago or 15. All I know is the shit don't last long!!:leaving:

I have noticed the same thing, and I suspect it's because the soap bars are made softer and rounded, concave/convex, so there is less actual soap per bar than used to be....maybe buy laundry bar soap??

:issues:

m and t's77 04-02-2019 5:57pm

Do you share in your household?

Aerovette 04-02-2019 6:01pm

I noticed the same thing. A package of 8 bars of soap was a freakin' year's supply. Now it's a couple months.

I'm going to start using Lava. I don't think they've softened up at all.

86RAG 04-02-2019 6:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerovette (Post 1664770)
I noticed the same thing. A package of 8 bars of soap was a freakin' year's supply. Now it's a couple months.

I'm going to start using Lava. I don't think they've softened up at all.

Ewww, the boys are hurting just thinking of that! :rofl:

bsmith 04-02-2019 6:47pm

I can't remember the last time I saw a bar of soap.
If I had to guess, it was before I got engaged. :lol:

MrPeabody 04-02-2019 6:54pm

The bars are probably smaller than they used to be, like just about every product you buy.

JRD77VET 04-02-2019 7:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69camfrk (Post 1664756)
Ok, is it just me, or is there something to this? It seems like back in the day, a bar of soap would last for hell and ever. Now, if you get a week out of one, it's a miracle. Quick dissolving formula???

If the water splashes on the soap while you shower, it disappears quickly. If the soap dish / rack is out of the way, it lasts much longer. :yesnod:

markids77 04-02-2019 7:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRD77VET (Post 1664786)
If the water splashes on the soap while you shower, it disappears quickly. If the soap dish / rack is out of the way, it lasts much longer. :yesnod:

I was thinking the same thing. Our soap shelf thingy is away from direct stream and has drain troughs molded in. We use Dial and are always certain to put the bar away with the "crown" of the bar facing up so there is very small contact and it can dry quickly and not get all gooey.

JRD77VET 04-02-2019 7:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by markids77 (Post 1664788)
I was thinking the same thing. Our soap shelf thingy is away from direct stream and has drain troughs molded in. We use Dial and are always certain to put the bar away with the "crown" of the bar facing up so there is very small contact and it can dry quickly and not get all gooey.

My wife likes Dove so that's the soap we get. At the previous house, the shower head splashed water on the soap and we went thru it fast. When we moved to this house, the shower head did not hit the soap and it lasted much longer.

Not much of a scientific experiment but a real life observance. :yesnod:

04 commemorative 04-02-2019 9:26pm

I buy and like Kirkland soap but as a kid loved Ivory....do they still make that:confused5:

Bill 04-02-2019 9:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrPeabody (Post 1664780)
The bars are probably smaller than they used to be, like just about every product you buy.

This. I use Ivory soap, and they used to have two sizes of soap, the small, and 'family size.' Well, they don't sell the big bars anymore, and now sell the small bars for the price of the big bars.

Everything has shrunk though. Coffee used to be a one pound can, now it's as little as 10 or 12 ounces. Potato chips used to be a pound, now they are about 10 ounces. I'm surprised they haven't started selling smaller heads of lettuce, smaller oranges, etc.

04 commemorative 04-02-2019 9:43pm

They have

MrPeabody 04-02-2019 9:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_daniels (Post 1664801)
This. I use Ivory soap, and they used to have two sizes of soap, the small, and 'family size.' Well, they don't sell the big bars anymore, and now sell the small bars for the price of the big bars.

Everything has shrunk though. Coffee used to be a one pound can, now it's as little as 10 or 12 ounces. Potato chips used to be a pound, now they are about 10 ounces. I'm surprised they haven't started selling smaller heads of lettuce, smaller oranges, etc.

One of our local grocery stores had heads of Cabbage on sale before St. Patrick's Day. A must to go with the Corned Beef when you are married to an Irish girl. The heads were about the size of a softball. They were accordingly cheap, but they were the smallest heads of Cabbage I have ever seen.