The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   DOGS, and pets in general........ (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137348)

mrvette 04-16-2024 8:39am

DOGS, and pets in general........

I got a dawg when I was about 8 y/o and it lasted about 12 years or so......

BUT I have had the general opinion since then, I do NOT see anything/reason to have a pet of any kind, especially a dawg......

My attitude is 'WHY BOTHER???'

out of any pet around my house, me experience is that a cat is by far the easiest/cheapest to have.....

I just don't understand the attraction for having ANY pets......

Watt say Yawl?????

vettemed 04-16-2024 8:45am

Companionship, loyalty, alertness to invaders on your property (human or animal).

But, if you have to ask, I don't see me swaying your opinion.

Have fun cleaning the litterbox.

Steve_R 04-16-2024 8:46am

Dogs are pets. Cats allow you to live with them if you feed them and keep a clean litterbox.

Yadkin 04-16-2024 8:47am

I adopted my last dog when she was a year old and she lived to be about 18. She was my best friend and my kids loved her. She loved us all with no conditions. I rarely walked her on a leash as she hated that, but together we hiked thousands of miles.

If you want to live as a hermit, sitting on your ass watching Oprah, by all means knock yourself out.

zeek 04-16-2024 9:05am

If you have to ask what it is about having dogs as pets, you should not get one. Especially since you did actually have one up till you were 20 yrs old. If you didnt feel the bond you never will. Get the cat....:yesnod:

Rodnok1 04-16-2024 9:08am

Dogs as companions and or guard dogs.
Noki was the best at both I've ever seen with zero training.
He would have laid his life down to protect the wife or son, well unless a turtle was involved. I would rough house with the boy and Noki would grab my wrist and pull me off. He always put himself between perceived danger and the family.
It was scary and amazing to see.
The perfect travel companion as well.
I've had a dog around since I was born minus a few months.

Cats poop in the house... I don't do pets that go in the house.

Bruze 04-16-2024 9:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrvette (Post 2246877)
I got a dawg when I was about 8 y/o and it lasted about 12 years or so......

BUT I have had the general opinion since then, I do NOT see anything/reason to have a pet of any kind, especially a dawg......

out of any pet around my house, me experience is that a cat is by far the easiest/cheapest to have.....

I just don't understand the attraction for having ANY pets......

Watt say Yawl?????

I had several dogs years ago. They are a PITA.

I've been living in the woods for 43 years, and there is an endless supply of rodents. I went three years one time with no cats and will never do that again. Over a year or two, the mice gradually started moving into the house.

All the "new mousetraps" are just a big filthy PITA. Cats are much easier, work at least as good, and provide company with minimal attention. My house cat has a food hopper so she can eat whenever she wants, and can go outside or come in at her pleasure. She does ALL her "business" outside, so no litter box to contend with.

I have two wild barn cats also, so any mice around here have very short lives.

Bruze 04-16-2024 9:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodnok1 (Post 2246891)
Dogs as companions and or guard dogs.
Noki was the best at both I've ever seen with zero training.
He would have laid his life down to protect the wife or son, well unless a turtle was involved. I would rough house with the boy and Noki would grab my wrist and pull me off. He always put himself between perceived danger and the family.
It was scary and amazing to see.
The perfect travel companion as well.
I've had a dog around since I was born minus a few months.

Cats poop in the house... I don't do pets that go in the house.

Cats poop in the house if you never let them out. So would a dog or any other animal.

AUTOHOLIC 04-16-2024 9:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by vettemed (Post 2246881)
Companionship, loyalty, alertness to invaders on your property (human or animal).

But, if you have to ask, I don't see me swaying your opinion.

Have fun cleaning the litterbox.

:iagree: With the above regarding dogs and to expand on the loyalty I believe they actually LOVE their masters. They are always happy to see you and are thankful for the care and affection you show them with little expectation. Many people prefer their company over MANY humans. If you don’t get this then you should not have a dog. From you statement it seems as if you are only interest in some type of business arrangement between you and a pet. Is that the way you also view a relationship with all other human beings or a life partner? If so, those are some classic sociopathic symptoms.

dvarapala 04-16-2024 9:38am

I've had both dogs and cats and love them both. But these days it's ridiculously expensive to take care of them as they get old, plus they hamper your ability to travel. So when my last cat died I decided to take a break from pet ownership.

AUTOHOLIC 04-16-2024 9:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvarapala (Post 2246899)
I've had both dogs and cats and love them both. But these days it's ridiculously expensive to take care of them as they get old, plus they hamper your ability to travel. So when my last cat died I decided to take a break from pet ownership.

:iagree: With this above also. If you can’t afford them or they hinder your travel you can still enjoy other people’s pets by simply visiting your local dog park. :seasix:

Don Rickles 04-16-2024 9:49am

I grieve over our lost dogs, more than humans.

StudleyJames 04-16-2024 9:52am

2 Attachment(s)
If you have to ask

Onebadcad 04-16-2024 10:03am

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrvette (Post 2246877)

You should not bother.
Some have the same attitude regarding children.

You either love pets, or you do not, there is no in-between.

I love our doggies, they do not judge you, they love you regardless, they can make your worst day a great day, while requiring nothing in return.

I would argue that dogs are GOD's greatest creation.

Rodnok1 04-16-2024 10:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruze (Post 2246896)
Cats poop in the house if you never let them out. So would a dog or any other animal.

Absolutely true, house only cats what i was referring to. We had barn cats when lived on the farm. They did their jobs and seldom did we feed them.

DJ_Critterus 04-16-2024 10:29am

Gene, if you are looking for easy to care for and cheap when it comes to pets, you might take a cue from Yaddy and get yourself a Pet Rock.

mrvette 04-16-2024 10:40am

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ_Critterus (Post 2246917)
Gene, if you are looking for easy to care for and cheap when it comes to pets, you might take a cue from Yaddy and get yourself a Pet Rock.

We just borrow our neighbor's dawg during the daze, she works odd hours, and so her dawg looks like a sister to the white/brown dawg on the floor sleeping in front of a sofa, another pix of a sofa is I FREEKING DENTICAL to the one I setting on now.....dark brown leather/recliner.....

as you can see, that face, well there ARE exceptions.....

mtnman 04-16-2024 2:03pm

1 Attachment(s)
I have 2 shop / yard cats. They are awesome at controlling the mice, mole, squirrel populations.

Louie Detroit 04-16-2024 2:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtnman (Post 2247002)
I have 2 shop / yard cats. They are awesome at controlling the mice, mole, squirrel populations.

Did that cat jump up on that post?

Bruze 04-16-2024 2:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Louie Detroit (Post 2247019)
Did that cat jump up on that post?

I'm guessing it clawed its way up. :)