The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   I love dogs, i really do....but (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66368)

Brett K 05-11-2014 7:42pm

I love dogs, i really do....but

Dogsitting other peoples dogs can be exhausting and frustrating. Let me preface this story by stating that I am sick. I have been running around doing errands all day in addition to doing some tile work with a fever and a chest full of cement. We are dog sitting my brother-in-law's grey hound. He is a sweet and affectionate couch potato that my daughters love to walk and cuddle with. There is one golden rule with greyhounds is never let them off the leash. They will be gone! The other rule is don't bother trying to teach them anything. My BIL kind if gave up on him after 2 years and he barely knows his name.

I came home today feeling like death. I open up the door with 2 kids and bags of groceries. He is usually on the couch drooling. Not today though. He bum rushed me and exited the doorway midstride at 40mph. He then continued to run laps around the neighborhood as if chasing an imaginary rabbit while me and the kids gave chase. I thought i had him once and ended up eating grass. The kids were crying. I was cursing. My daughter ended up finally catching him when he stopped to pee on my truck tires. I think i am having a heart attack. Now my daughter is upset because she overheard my say many not-so nice things about her belived Rocky. Ugh!

Sea Six 05-11-2014 7:55pm

wait... what?

:confused5:

DukeAllen 05-11-2014 7:55pm

I don't know whether to send sympathy or laugh.

Hope you feel better. But try to stay sick long enough to give it to your BIL :funny:

Jeff '79 05-11-2014 7:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DukeAllen (Post 1174797)

Hope you feel better. But try to stay sick long enough to give it to your BIL :funny:

:iagree::rofl:

CertInsaneC5 05-11-2014 7:59pm

:rofl:

Sorry, but damn. :lol:

Sounds about like my cousins Sheltie. She is a handful. Costs me $$ every time she stays here. If she is not escaping the house, she is tearing something up inside. And herding everything in site. :D

Brett K 05-11-2014 8:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Six (Post 1174795)
wait... what?

:confused5:

Sorry, i am seeing doubleand posting on my phone.

polarbear 05-11-2014 11:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brett K (Post 1174783)
Dogsitting other peoples dogs can be exhausting and frustrating. Let me preface this story by stating that I am sick. I have been running around doing errands all day in addition to doing some tile work with a fever and a chest full of cement. We are dog sitting my brother-in-law's grey hound. He is a sweet and affectionate couch potato that my daughters love to walk and cuddle with. There is one golden rule with greyhounds is never let them off the leash. They will be gone! The other rule is don't bother trying to teach them anything. My BIL kind if gave up on him after 2 years and he barely knows his name.

I came home today feeling like death. I open up the door with 2 kids and bags of groceries. He is usually on the couch drooling. Not today though. He bum rushed me and exited the doorway midstride at 40mph. He then continued to run laps around the neighborhood as if chasing an imaginary rabbit while me and the kids gave chase. I thought i had him once and ended up eating grass. The kids were crying. I was cursing. My daughter ended up finally catching him when he stopped to pee on my truck tires. I think i am having a heart attack. Now my daughter is upset because she overheard my say many not-so nice things about her belived Rocky. Ugh!

We used to have an Afghan Hound. Same thing, just larger and more fur.

Next time he bolts, fire up the car and open up a door. They'll jump right in. I'm serious- only thing that works. Chasing them is just a game they're very good at. Doggie is probably still laughing it up over the incident.:rofl:

Milton Fox 05-11-2014 11:30pm

pics of rocky? :waiting:

Hoog 05-12-2014 9:13am

My neighbor had an ex-racing Greyhound that would bolt out the front door, hang a left and run 2 or 3 laps around the house...wide ass open. After that, he would stop by the front door and look at his owner. If you chased him, the dog would run. If you said "come on" and walked in the house, the dog would follow.

It was cool as hell to watch that dog run...blazing fast and seemingly effortless.

'77Babe 05-12-2014 10:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DukeAllen (Post 1174797)

I know I'm laughing.:funnier:

Barn Babe 05-12-2014 10:20am

That's why I charge $18/hour :D

carlton_fritz 05-12-2014 6:47pm

I need video to fully understand what happened.

Craig 05-12-2014 8:27pm

Don't chase them, it's useless. I've heard one way to get them is to make eye contact then run away, they usually can't resist the natural urge to chase you. I don't even do that any more. I've had three labs, two that would bolt if given half a chance. And while labs can't do 40MPH, I ain't going to catch them even at 30...

Rufas is my current miscreant (he came to us as Dufas...). Now I just leave the gate/door open and five minutes later, he'll return. I then close the gate/door and beat and swear at him until I feel better.

nhra_ta 05-13-2014 4:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by polarbear (Post 1174853)
We used to have an Afghan Hound. Same thing, just larger and more fur.

Next time he bolts, fire up the car and open up a door. They'll jump right in. I'm serious- only thing that works. Chasing them is just a game they're very good at. Doggie is probably still laughing it up over the incident.:rofl:

I thought I was the only one that had actually three Afghan Hounds. You don't hear about them at all. And yes, chasing them is useless and playing right into their game. The car door method worked for me every time. :)

Kevin_73 05-13-2014 4:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by nhra_ta (Post 1175453)
I thought I was the only one that had actually three Afghan Hounds. You don't hear about them at all. And yes, chasing them is useless and playing right into their game. The car door method worked for me every time. :)

When I was a kid my step mother had Afghan hounds. We lost one of them when we were in Little Rock Ar attending a dog show. We were in the hotel room and one of the dogs bolted out of the door when I opened it to go out. The dog ran all the way around the hotel, across a wide grassy knoll, then straight out onto I-30. :sadangel:

onedef92 05-14-2014 11:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin_73 (Post 1175479)
When I was a kid my step mother had Afghan hounds. We lost one of them when we were in Little Rock Ar attending a dog show. We were in the hotel room and one of the dogs bolted out of the door when I opened it to go out. The dog ran all the way around the hotel, across a wide grassy knoll, then straight out onto I-30. :sadangel:

Whoops. That didn't end well. The car door thing doesn't work on our very busy Boxer Bruce, either.

We can bribe him with FOOD and that's it. I've learned to keep a snack handy should he ever escape from the house.

Craig 05-14-2014 11:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by onedef92 (Post 1175796)
Whoops. That didn't end well. The car door thing doesn't work on our very busy Boxer Bruce, either.

We can bribe him with FOOD and that's it. I've learned to keep a snack handy should he ever escape from the house.

Weve tried that with Rufas, he makes no move toward us, just stands there in the distance...and starts to drool. I told ya'll he was weird.

onedef92 05-14-2014 1:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig (Post 1175800)
Weve tried that with Rufas, he makes no move toward us, just stands there in the distance...and starts to drool. I told ya'll he was weird.

It's hard to determine a dog's temperment and inclinations, even if you watched him from a pup amongst his/her littermates. But I can say without a doubt some of the smartest, most loyal dogs were ever had were the strays who literally came in from the rain.