The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   very bad news from the vet about Levi (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119105)

JRD77VET 04-09-2019 7:30pm

very bad news from the vet about Levi

Levi was a bit "off" last week. Sometimes his breathing was quick, he'd snub his food and at times restless. Sunday he ignored his food all day and around supper time his stomach seemed firm so we called the vet and took him over. The vet looked him over and ended up drawing blood, a couple x rays and we agreed to let him there overnight.

We got a call early evening and his white blood count was super high. Another blood draw to send to the lab.

We went over yesterday after work to see him but the lab results were not complete. He stayed over again.

Today we got the results and brought him home. He has acute leukemia and doesn't have much time left. :cry: Depending on how the meds work to stimulate his appetite, it might be days, a week or maybe a month.

I'll be over here ----> sitting with Levi crying my eyes out.

Mary and I already discussed that we will do what is best for Levi. No selfishness on our part, only what is best for him. He's comfortable right now :yesnod:

Here's Levi as a puppy

Jeff '79 04-09-2019 7:35pm

HoLeeFk....
That's tough.... He's so young...
No matter what course you take, it'll be the right one.
Poor doggie...

markids77 04-09-2019 7:40pm

We're sorry to hear this. Hope you get some real quality time in.
Sending hugs for all of you...

JRD77VET 04-09-2019 7:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff '79 (Post 1665861)
HoLeeFk....
That's tough.... He's so young...
No matter what course you take, it'll be the right one.
Poor doggie...

He just turned 6 March 30. We have pet insurance on him, made sure he had good food and took good care of him.

This sucks

Rob 04-09-2019 7:49pm

Dang man, I am so sorry to hear. I hate losing a doggy and I hate hearing about it happening to others as well. Make that guy some bacon and a good steak.

MEANZ06 04-09-2019 7:50pm

So sorry to hear this Jeff! :sadangel: Spoil the shit out of him while you can :yesnod:

JRD77VET 04-09-2019 7:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MEANZ06 (Post 1665866)
So sorry to hear this Jeff! :sadangel: Spoil the shit out of him while you can :yesnod:

:yesnod: Already started. He already had over a half pound of turkey lunchmeat. :hurray:

Vet said "don't worry about the diet, let him eat whatever he wants".

They're sad at the vet office too. They all loved Levi too.

SnikPlosskin 04-09-2019 7:58pm

Oh man, I’m so sorry. I know you love that big boy. That sucks.

MrPeabody 04-09-2019 8:02pm

So sorry to hear this. Make the most of the time you have left with him.

bsmith 04-09-2019 8:06pm

:( sorry to hear that.

Coming up on two years since we lost Missy.
<----

bryanZ06 04-09-2019 8:08pm

Damn. I’m so sorry to hear that Jeff.

StaticCling 04-09-2019 8:19pm

I am very sorry to hear this Jeff. My thoughts are with you. Been through this a few times the last few years, it's a tough thing to deal with. Cook him a big steak before he leaves you, pamper him! :sadangel:

Ol Timer 04-09-2019 8:37pm

So very sorry. The loss of our best friends is so difficult but the joy they have given us makes it worth it.

Bill 04-09-2019 8:38pm

That's just really awful and I'm very sorry to hear that. :sadangel:

Black94lt1 04-09-2019 9:10pm

Damn that sucks, hopefully he can enjoy the time he has left

C3C7NIC 04-09-2019 9:50pm

So sorry to hear. Furbabies are family.

DAB 04-09-2019 9:58pm

Awwww... give him a hug from me.

Millenium Vette 04-09-2019 10:46pm

So sorry, absolutely heartbreaking.

Aerovette 04-09-2019 10:47pm

Losing one of these babies sucks. I feel for you. It never gets easier. Quite the opposite.

LilRedCorvette 04-10-2019 12:36am

We all love you, Levi

My heart absolutely sank to the pit of my stomach when I saw the title of this thread...so very sorry to read of this horrible news. :sadangel:

To me it seemed like he was still a puppy :yesnod: such a tough diagnosis to swallow at age 6 (although he could be 16, still would never be ready to say goodbye) :nonod:

I know all too well the heartache you have right now, has only been just over 5 months since I lost Cosmo...still feels like it happened just yesterday...

Sending you, Mary, and Levi my very best thoughts and prayers...and please give Levi a great big hug for me.

mrvette 04-10-2019 3:45am

Shit, too bad.....we have sympathy and empathy with your shituation there, as our last round of pets are getting old now about a dozen years for the two cats, and the Chiwawa, the signs of ill health and age are all around, the ONE cat seems more or less fine, but his smaller sister is sick and tossing up all the time, lays around all day, moves ok when she wants to, but loosing weight too, Chiwawa is fat, but deaf as a stone and turning grey on the snout.....I swear her vision is not what it once was ......and instead of being decisive about what she wants, it takes an effort for us to let her out front to run a bit, they all have pet doors for out back.....and the amount of time going in/out back is much reduced from what it once was.....:sadangel::shots:

Olustee bus 04-10-2019 4:28am

1 Attachment(s)
I have searched for some quotes to bring you some happiness but nothing seems helpful. I am so sorry about Levi.

69camfrk 04-10-2019 4:51am

I'm sorry to hear Jeff.:sadangel:

86RAG 04-10-2019 6:19am

Very sorry to hear this. Been through this too damn many times and it never gets easier :sadangel:

Stevedore 04-10-2019 7:13am

So sorry to hear of your pup's troubles, OP; such a hard time. We lost one of our 3 a year ago, & I still think of him every time we come home & the other 2 come running down the hall to greet us.

As I've gotten older, each loss has been harder for me than in the past.

simpleman68 04-10-2019 7:29am

Damn Jeff, I'm so sorry to hear about Levi. :sadangel:

Let me know if there is anything we can do to help. You know we're close by.
Scott

04 commemorative 04-10-2019 7:41am

So sorry man,wife & I are going through this with Ty who is 14......5 vets in 3 weeks.....we will also not let him suffer.....when time comes we decided to take a break for awhile.....stay strong and know everyone here cares :sadangel:

Blademaker 04-10-2019 8:05am

I'm truly sorry to hear this....:sadangel:

"The more I know about people, the more I love my pups."
-Book of Steve

dwjz06 04-10-2019 8:47am

So sorry sir. Very tough to lose a family member. :sadangel:

Barn Babe 04-10-2019 9:13am

Ugh :sadangel:

Norm 04-10-2019 9:59am

Sorry to hear, hard to loose a pet that loves you for who, what you are, no judgments.

JRD77VET 04-10-2019 7:33pm

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks everyone. Today was a little better for Levi but still not good. Unless there is a major turnaround, he'll be lucky to see the weekend. :cry:

From better times

MrPeabody 04-10-2019 7:42pm

Now that's a dog.:seasix:

snide 04-10-2019 8:44pm

Best wishes for a positive outcome! :angel: :angel: :angel:

JRD77VET 04-10-2019 8:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by snide (Post 1666078)
Best wishes for a positive outcome! :angel: :angel: :angel:

Excuse me for being blunt but there is no positive outcome in this scenario. :sadangel: With canine leukemia, this is as bad as it gets.

But a sincere thank you :yesnod:

DAB 04-10-2019 8:59pm

You cared for him and loved him as best you could. That’s all he could ask for. :grouphug:

Stangkiller 04-10-2019 9:07pm

I am so sorry to hear this, that’s just awful.

JRD77VET 04-11-2019 7:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 1666089)
You cared for him and loved him as best you could. That’s all he could ask for. :grouphug:

And he continues to get spoiled. Mary hand fed him her homemade beef stew, plus cheeses and lots of treats.

Friday at 5:30 in the afternoon the vet is coming over to end his suffering. He's not as good as earlier in the week and we will both do what's best for him.

SteelCityBlue 04-11-2019 7:51pm

:sadangel:

Rob 04-11-2019 8:19pm

WOEII 04-11-2019 8:25pm

Aww man! We love them so much. I just grab the cat and gave him a hug after reading this. You both are good parents. :yesnod:

TripleBlack 04-11-2019 9:35pm

Sorry to hear. :sadangel::sadangel:

Still very sad over the lost of our last one and that's been several years.

LilRedCorvette 04-11-2019 10:12pm

So very sorry.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRD77VET (Post 1666276)
And he continues to get spoiled. Mary hand fed him her homemade beef stew, plus cheeses and lots of treats.

Friday at 5:30 in the afternoon the vet is coming over to end his suffering. He's not as good as earlier in the week and we will both do what's best for him.

So heartbreaking to read this :sadangel: but def understand/have been there.

Will be saying some extra prayers at 5:30 tomorrow :yesnod: hoping Levi finds Mochi, Cosmo, and all our departed fur friends to play with at the Rainbow Bridge. :angel:

Now if you'll excuse me, I have something in my eye...
:cry:

Millenium Vette 04-11-2019 10:50pm

ZipZap 04-11-2019 10:55pm

Always sad to see these posts. They are so much a part of our lives...

Black94lt1 04-12-2019 1:02am

Datawiz 04-12-2019 5:38am

:sadangel: Poor Levi. :sadangel::sadangel:

86RAG 04-12-2019 5:51am

Very sorry for your loss, but he won't be suffering anymore. My sincerest condolences :sadangel:

Olustee bus 04-12-2019 8:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRD77VET (Post 1666069)
Thanks everyone. Today was a little better for Levi but still not good. Unless there is a major turnaround, he'll be lucky to see the weekend. :cry:

From better times

Levi has a pretty smile!

snide 04-12-2019 9:07am

69camfrk 04-12-2019 4:03pm

I hope my dogs know how they are truly loved at my house. They have been the best, but are getting on up there in age. Things are ok for the moment, but they have really slowed down. I'm afraid our house will be next on the hit parade. :sadangel:

Aerovette 04-12-2019 4:05pm

My two can't wait to play with Levi on the other side.

JRD77VET 04-12-2019 6:24pm

Levi has passed onto the other side :cry:

The vet and two techs came over the house just after 5:30. They all knew and loved Levi.

Mary and I were holding Levi as the end started, telling him how much we loved him.

The vet gave Levi a little bit of a sedative and he just slid down to a laying position. Then the final shot. :sadangel:

We're getting him cremated and also a paw print.

I know we did the right thing but it still hurts.

Thanks everyone

JRD77VET 04-12-2019 7:01pm

Just figured out how to get this video off my phone

snide 04-12-2019 7:08pm

:sadangel::sadangel::sadangel:

markids77 04-12-2019 7:38pm

You timed things perfectly in my opinion. He left while he could still feel your love.

Millenium Vette 04-12-2019 8:40pm

:sadangel::sadangel::sadangel::sadangel:

I am not ashamed to say I am choked up by this and have tears in my eyes. I have been there, as have many, and it hurts like hell.

JRD77VET 04-12-2019 8:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Millenium Vette (Post 1666537)

I am not ashamed to say I am choked up by this and have tears in my eyes. I have been there, as have many, and it hurts like hell.

:iagree: I've been a wreck all week at work. We did what was best for Levi but it still hurts.

Other folks have mentioned how their pets that passed earlier still have a special place in their hearts. Levi won't be forgotten :angel:

Loco Vette 04-12-2019 9:00pm

Quote:

:iagree:

Aerovette 04-12-2019 9:35pm

I don't want to make this about me, but I just went through this a few weeks ago so I truly feel in my heart what you are feeling. It is the hardest decision to make when your brain is in conflict with your heart. The brain knows it is time for us to let them go and our hearts want to keep them alive forever. :sad:

JRD77VET 04-12-2019 9:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerovette (Post 1666551)
I don't want to make this about me, but I just went through this a few weeks ago so I truly feel in my heart what you are feeling. It is the hardest decision to make when your brain is in conflict with your heart. The brain knows it is time for us to let them go and our hearts want to keep them alive forever. :sad:

Sorry to hear you just went thru this. :sadangel:

I completely understand. I was hoping that when the vet showed up there would be some story about "switched results". I knew in my heart Levi was going downhill but still wanted him around.

The final result is that the correct decision was made. :angel:

Nox 04-12-2019 10:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRD77VET (Post 1666552)
Sorry to hear you just went thru this. :sadangel:

I completely understand. I was hoping that when the vet showed up there would be some story about "switched results". I knew in my heart Levi was going downhill but still wanted him around.

The final result is that the correct decision was made. :angel:

Sorry to hear about this. It never gets any easier. I’m getting to the point that I am not sure I will replace my buddies when they are gone. It’s just too hard.

LilRedCorvette 04-13-2019 12:28am

Quote:

:iagree: I'm not ashamed to say so either...I cried knowing what was coming today. :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nox (Post 1666558)
Sorry to hear about this. It never gets any easier. I’m getting to the point that I am not sure I will replace my buddies when they are gone. It’s just too hard.

:iagree: I am not sure I could go through it again either. Probably the hardest thing I've ever had to do. Which sucks because I just love dogs so much.

mrvette 04-13-2019 3:11am

Quote:

Wife said that some years ago when our now 12 y/o Chiwawa passes on, at our age group, we not need other pets, guy next door lost his dawg a couple years ago, and not gotten another, same boat....:sadangel::sadangel::sadangel:

09CTSV 04-13-2019 6:06am

Our condolences to you and your wife. It is the toughest decision to let a pet cross the rainbow bridge. Ours have always been family to us and each one takes a small piece of your heart with them. Our vet and techs have come to the house for each one of ours, they all had tears in their eyes like us. We learned early when our first Aussie had cancer when it was time to let go. The well being of them is more important than the heartache we feel. They will be waiting for us at the Rainbow bridge to play again.
We have gone thru the tough decision 7 times over the last 11 years and each one is as tough as the last. We adopted two large breed dogs knowing the lifespan is short for a Bernese Mountain Dog. Each day we spend with them is a blessing which fills our hearts and souls with so much joy and love.

Broken Wind 04-13-2019 6:26am

I’ve been through that so many times I’ve lost count. The latest was just before the holidays last year. As painful as it is, there’s no way I wouldn’t want the joy they bring while they’re here.

My condolences to you.

C3C7NIC 04-13-2019 7:35am

My heart breaks for you. We too lost a pawsome furry son to cancer. We miss him EVERY day! Dogs are just able to reach onto our souls and touch a part that even people cannot. They live a life free from concerns about money, looks, religion, politics, jobs or any of the crap that clouds our human minds. That freedom to just live life and enjoy the things that count, and live in the moment is what makes them so amazing, and what breaks our hearts when they are no longer with us.

My deepest condolences are with you and your family, the memories will last forever.

This was our boy, Sarge the Boxer Extraordinaire (Big dogs RULE!)

https://sargetheboxer.tripawds.com/f...ster-Sarge.jpg

LilRedCorvette 04-13-2019 9:30am

1 Attachment(s)
Have been a lifelong Boxer household...this is Cosmo, who just crossed the Rainbow Bridge 11/3/18. :sadangel:

When I donated a bunch of Cosmo's things to the local county animal shelter, I found out that they had a pet loss support group that meets monthly. It has been comforting to be around others who understand this kind of loss and a big help in navigating the grief process.

Just thought I'd pass that info on for people who might want to seek out something similar who are going through this now. :yesnod:

09CTSV 04-13-2019 5:18pm

2 Attachment(s)
These are our two clowns, they keep us young.
They are in the same lineage as Levi.

JRD77VET 04-13-2019 6:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 09CTSV (Post 1666644)
These are our two clowns, they keep us young.
They are in the same lineage as Levi.

:iagree: Levi and Mochi's "long haired cousins".

They are great family dogs and protective of "their" family.

And as C3C7NIC wrote, BIG DOGS RULE :yesnod:

JRD77VET 04-13-2019 6:48pm

Quote:

:iagree: Maybe time time will heal but right now, I don't honestly know if I'll do this again. Mary and I will discuss this later.

The neighbor Will already offered his dogs anytime we need a "doggie fix". :seasix:

simpleman68 04-13-2019 7:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRD77VET (Post 1666652)
:iagree: Maybe time time will heal but right now, I don't honestly know if I'll do this again. Mary and I will discuss this later.

The neighbor Will already offered his dogs anytime we need a "doggie fix". :seasix:

That's what we rely on for now. We have a bunch of neighbors with loaner "kids" we get to play with.

Molly the lab next door is sweetheart
Bronx is a bulldog 3 doors down and always stops by for scritches
Emmet the boxer is 5 doors down and stops by to play in the sprinklers
Just met a couple Mastiffs that are gentle giants

I totally understand not being sure if you guys want to try again. It's tough to handle the loss but it's also tough to enjoy them if you worry about it.
Scott

JRD77VET 04-13-2019 7:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by simpleman68 (Post 1666655)
That's what we rely on for now. We have a bunch of neighbors with loaner "kids" we get to play with.

Molly the lab next door is sweetheart
Bronx is a bulldog 3 doors down and always stops by for scritches
Emmet the boxer is 5 doors down and stops by to play in the sprinklers
Just met a couple Mastiffs that are gentle giants

I totally understand not being sure if you guys want to try again. It's tough to handle the loss but it's also tough to enjoy them if you worry about it.
Scott

Big dogs know they are in control of the situation and are able to sit back and enjoy.

Mochi was about 165 lbs and he loved it when the little kids would run up to him when we were walking him at the local park. Little kids ( who knew him from earlier walks ) would run up and hug him around the neck. They loved it and he did too.

One the home protection front, both Levi and Mochi were extremely protective of "their" house and vehicles if we were out. Get into their "protection zone" and they let you know.

Aerovette 04-13-2019 10:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRD77VET (Post 1666657)
Big dogs know they are in control of the situation and are able to sit back and enjoy.

Mochi was about 165 lbs and he loved it when the little kids would run up to him when we were walking him at the local park. Little kids ( who knew him from earlier walks ) would run up and hug him around the neck. They loved it and he did too.

One the home protection front, both Levi and Mochi were extremely protective of "their" house and vehicles if we were out. Get into their "protection zone" and they let you know.

When my Cabo died, I felt less safe in the house. He was all bark, but it sure kept people at bay. I remember the first week he was gone, I was paranoid about a break in.

NEED-A-VETTE 04-13-2019 10:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRD77VET (Post 1666508)

The vet and two techs came over the house just after 5:30. They all knew and loved Levi.

Mary and I were holding Levi as the end started, telling him how much we loved him.

The vet gave Levi a little bit of a sedative and he just slid down to a laying position. Then the final shot. :sadangel:

Thanks everyone

So sorry. :sadangel:

StaticCling 04-13-2019 10:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRD77VET (Post 1666508)

Thanks everyone

I am sorry Jeff. I can relate, did the same exact thing last year with our Izzy dog. It's the hardest thing to deal with.

We had a mobile vet that specializes in at home euthanasia come to our house for both Izzy dog and Annie cat. Izzy was 17 and Annie cat had bone cancer...she was about 16. They both died within a month of each other.

I carried Izzy's body out after she died to the mobile vet's car. It was the last thing I did for her. I loved my little dog, we were together for a long time.

Sorry to hijack. I just want you to know that I have been there. :sadangel:

NEED-A-VETTE 04-13-2019 11:23pm

1 Attachment(s)
Just saw this today on FB and thought of you, Jeff. :cry:

Attachment 24986

09CTSV 04-14-2019 7:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRD77VET (Post 1666651)
:iagree: Levi and Mochi's "long haired cousins".

They are great family dogs and protective of "their" family.

And as C3C7NIC wrote, BIG DOGS RULE :yesnod:

We thought of the same thing of not getting another dog when we lost our Aussie's. I am glad we adopted a Big Dog. Our male Chester is such a goof and loving animal. Kids love him, neighbors love him and he loves them back. The most gentle creature we have ever had as part of our family. We unexpectedly lost our 11 year old Aussie the day after Christmas in 2017. Chester was not his normal happy self without her. We decided to take a plunge again with another Berner, Lulu the mischievous female. She again is loving and a goof but more of the protector than Chester.
Big Dogs do rule, their life span is shorter and we know the breeds have known issues with cancer but for each second, minute, hour, day, week, month, year they spend with us the memories and joy of having them in our lives and as part of our family is worth it.
They both would protect us and we would do the same for them. Heck, we went out and bought a H2 Hummer just so the two of them would have enough room to travel, tell me that isn't spoiled!!

C3C7NIC 04-14-2019 7:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEED-A-VETTE (Post 1666686)
Just saw this today on FB and thought of you, Jeff. :cry:

Attachment 24986

So true.... luckily, lots of videos of our big boy, watch them all the time now that he is gone!

69camfrk 04-14-2019 7:40am

As tough as most of us sound, we all have a huge heart for our dogs (and cats). They are members of our family without question, and they add to our lives. Not having them around is just like losing a close relative, and many of the same decisions have to be made. I know my time for all of this is coming up way faster than I would like, but time marches on, and the memories of my dogs will be with me forever. Hang in there everyone.:sadangel:

allthrottleandsomebottle 04-14-2019 12:11pm

Sorry to read it, never easy and each has their own personality like humans...…...cheers to a good life

JRD77VET 04-14-2019 6:45pm

Just wanted to thank everyone again for the posts, comments, emails, texts, PM's and phone calls. It really helps. :yesnod:

We give all we can and they seem to multiply it and give back more. That must be why it hurts so bad when we lose them. :sadangel:

Jeff

MrPeabody 04-14-2019 7:09pm

There's a reason why we generally outlive them.

It's hard on us, but we have ways of dealing with it, such as the comfort you have received from your friends here. Imagine what it is like for them when we leave this earth before they do. We owe it to them to be there with them in their final hours and moments, like most of us have done at one time or another. It's a small thing considering the unconditional love we get from them for what is to them a lifetime. You did a noble thing, and Levi knew it and loved you for it.:seasix:

LilRedCorvette 04-15-2019 11:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRD77VET (Post 1666764)
Just wanted to thank everyone again for the posts, comments, emails, texts, PM's and phone calls. It really helps. :yesnod:

We give all we can and they seem to multiply it and give back more. That must be why it hurts so bad when we lose them. :sadangel:

Jeff

Still in my thoughts and prayers :yesnod: it really does hurt something awful for such a very long time. :sadangel:

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrPeabody (Post 1666772)
There's a reason why we generally outlive them.

It's hard on us, but we have ways of dealing with it, such as the comfort you have received from your friends here. Imagine what it is like for them when we leave this earth before they do. We owe it to them to be there with them in their final hours and moments, like most of us have done at one time or another. It's a small thing considering the unconditional love we get from them for what is to them a lifetime. You did a noble thing, and Levi knew it and loved you for it.:seasix:

This comment really struck a chord with me.

Cosmo unexpectedly lost his first owner several years ago (went to the hospital for a procedure and didn't make it out :( )...his family found my email and he ended up with me. :angel:

Cosmo almost lost me (his second owner) when I full-coded/required resuscitation after a surgery I had in November 2017.

I lost Cosmo on 11/3/18 and often thought that it would have been easier on me if I ended up going first that year ahead...but then thought about how selfish that thought was, and how awful for him it would have been if that did happen. As much as this grief process has sucked, you're absolutely right; I have the resources to get through it more than he would have.

Thank you for the reminder. :yesnod:

JRD77VET 04-18-2019 6:54pm

I guess this will be the final entry. The vet called and we went down to pick up Levi's ashes. :sadangel:

Mary and I got plenty of hugs from the techs plus we got to thank them for taking care of Levi all thru his life. They all enjoyed Levi and they will miss him too.

Jeff

LilRedCorvette 04-18-2019 7:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRD77VET (Post 1667334)
I guess this will be the final entry. The vet called and we went down to pick up Levi's ashes. :sadangel:

Mary and I got plenty of hugs from the techs plus we got to thank them for taking care of Levi all thru his life. They all enjoyed Levi and they will miss him too.

Jeff

I remember how difficult getting the ashes back was. So sorry again for your loss...take care :angel:

bsmith 04-18-2019 7:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRD77VET (Post 1667334)

Jeff

The brings back some feelings.
Our vet is an older lady and very detached from what is going on.
Bedside manner might be a little lacking for some people, but she is great.

Missy was completely unexpected and when we took her in the last time, she had tears in her eyes.

bsmith 04-18-2019 7:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LilRedCorvette (Post 1667340)
I remember how difficult getting the ashes back was. So sorry again for your loss...take care :angel:

I pulled in my garage with the ashes and some asshole door to door saleswoman started yelling at me to wait for her.
Yeah, I wasn't in the mood.

JRD77VET 04-18-2019 7:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsmith (Post 1667343)
I pulled in my garage with the ashes and some asshole door to door saleswoman started yelling at me to wait for her.
Yeah, I wasn't in the mood.

One the way back home , Mary held the box with his paw print and ashes in the urn. She was holding him when we got him and on his final trip home.

Luckily no idiots, I wouldn't have been in the mood either.

LilRedCorvette 04-18-2019 7:58pm

1 Attachment(s)
We got the paw print immediately after 'the end'. :sadangel: We had the option of picking up the ashes or having them delivered. Hub saw how hard I was taking the loss, stepped in and said, "please deliver them".

I remember the day...it was dark and rainy. Something told me to open the front door...there was the box, labeled with the pet crematory's name on it. Hugged that box and cried for a good long time. They did a beautiful job.

So sad to read about but also glad that everyone's beloved pets remains are home where they belong. :yesnod: :angel:

WOEII 04-18-2019 8:06pm

https://imgur.com/dJbWjEH.jpg
Charlie. :)

SnikPlosskin 04-18-2019 8:48pm

I’m so glad you were there for him at his last moments. Too many people don’t want to feel the pain of being there. They don’t get that it’s not about them. A bit of pain is a small price to pay to ensure your best friend leaves this world with you telling him/her you love them in their ear. I honestly believe they know what it means and your soothing voice makes a huge difference. I see it as respect too. With large dogs, you have to have mutual respect. That breeds loyalty.

I’ve lost nine dogs. All in my arms with me whispering in their ears. Hard on me. Good for them. I believe I owe my dogs everything. They will put their life down for me without a second thought. I am responsible for them from birth to the end. Their needs come first.

Hang in there Jeff. You did everything right. I’m sure Levi is so grateful to have your love from beginning to end.

LilRedCorvette 04-19-2019 6:37pm

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by SnikPlosskin (Post 1667360)
I’m so glad you were there for him at his last moments. Too many people don’t want to feel the pain of being there. They don’t get that it’s not about them. A bit of pain is a small price to pay to ensure your best friend leaves this world with you telling him/her you love them in their ear. I honestly believe they know what it means and your soothing voice makes a huge difference. I see it as respect too. With large dogs, you have to have mutual respect. That breeds loyalty.

I’ve lost nine dogs. All in my arms with me whispering in their ears. Hard on me. Good for them. I believe I owe my dogs everything. They will put their life down for me without a second thought. I am responsible for them from birth to the end. Their needs come first.

Hang in there Jeff. You did everything right. I’m sure Levi is so grateful to have your love from beginning to end.

So very well said. :yesnod:

Being there at the end is probably the hardest thing I've ever done, but it's the right thing to do. I got down on the ground and laid next to Cosmo, held his paw, sang him his special song, and told him that I loved him. Hub captured me holding his paw for the very last time, a moment I'll treasure forever.

I know in my heart of hearts that Levi knew you loved him and were there till the very end. Still in my thoughts and prayers, I know it has been a week today and am sure the pain is still very much raw. :sadangel: