The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Serious music talk not about me (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125768)

SnikPlosskin 05-13-2021 8:06pm

Serious music talk not about me

I don't think I've posted this video

There are two things that stand out to me and I'd be vastly entertained by robust intellectual intercourse with regard to the other guitar player and the saxophone man.

Derek Obrien is the guy SRV begged to get on the stage as a kid. Derek said no for a long time. Then, he said yes and did his part to change the course of blues music by introducing Stevie to the stage. Yet he is unknown.

Check out his solo around 2:42 - he his a minimalist player. you can hear where Stevie picked up some of the licks and the tone.

What do you think of this playing - I know you guys are into shredders so I'm curious if you see the beauty of Derek's playing.

at 2:11 saxophonist Joe Morales absolutely eats this tune for lunch, barfs it back up, eats it again and eats it for dinner. I've played with Joe a few times. He is an animal with the horn. Standing in front of him is like getting punched in the face with sweet sweet horny horn honking and spirited musical congress.

I don't actually play much at all in the tune.

snide 05-13-2021 8:14pm

:thumbs::thumbs:

:cheers:

69camfrk 05-13-2021 8:21pm

Good shit right there. Very soulful singer...Awesome!!:seasix:

Strats-N-Vettes 05-14-2021 5:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnikPlosskin (Post 1881091)
Check out his solo around 2:42 - he his a minimalist player.

"why play 100 notes when you can say the same thing in ten..."

DJ_Critterus 05-14-2021 7:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snik
intellectual intercourse...

Is that a mind ****? Maybe you meant intellectual discourse?

SnikPlosskin 05-14-2021 7:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ_Critterus (Post 1881142)
Is that a mind ****? Maybe you meant intellectual discourse?

Look up the word intercourse. After you are done fapping, get back to us.

DJ_Critterus 05-14-2021 8:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnikPlosskin (Post 1881156)
Look up the word intercourse. After you are done fapping, get back to us.

Intercourse that...I'm too lazy.

Giraffe (He/Him) 05-14-2021 8:37am

I don't think that solo was particularly minimalist do you? When I think minimalist I think Robert Cray or maybe Jimmy Vaughn. Even David Gilmour is more frugal than this guy.

I liked the solo BTW. Not bagging on it at all.

73sbVert 05-14-2021 9:21am

What is it about most guitarists, afraid to use ALL their fingers?? :confused:
Four-finger leads seem more efficient to play than 3-finger...

Props to the group though, very well put together! And the singer was great, that's not an easy song to sing!

Giraffe (He/Him) 05-14-2021 9:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 73sbVert (Post 1881183)

Props to the group though, very well put together! And the singer was great, that's not an easy song to sing!

Pinkies are uncooperative. :rofl:

Many many of the pentatonic wailers don't use their pinky as the scale is *generally* (Not always) played more in the box position which doesn't require big stretches.

73sbVert 05-14-2021 9:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giraffe (Post 1881187)
Pinkies are uncooperative. :rofl:

Many many of the pentatonic wailers don't use their pinky as the scale is *generally* (Not always) played more in the box position which doesn't require big stretches.

Yah, I get it. But watching those that CAN play 4-finger is very satisfying! For instance, the other thread with Glen and Roy, just wow!

And Petrucci, Vai, Satch, Bumblefoot, et al, they seem to do just fine with their pinkies! :rofl:

:cheers:
Paul

John E 05-14-2021 10:02am

Django Reinhardt: "If you need more than two fingers, you're doing it wrong"

Thraak: ":funnier::funnier::funnier: "

Nice Pete, enjoyed it. Who's the goofy looking dude in the cowboy hat though?

vetsalsman 05-14-2021 2:19pm

enjoyed very much

SnikPlosskin 05-14-2021 6:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giraffe (Post 1881167)
I don't think that solo was particularly minimalist do you? When I think minimalist I think Robert Cray or maybe Jimmy Vaughn. Even David Gilmour is more frugal than this guy.

I liked the solo BTW. Not bagging on it at all.

He did light it up the second time around. I suppose he is minimalist compared to the million note a second dudes.

I just love the guy. He is a consummate pro and one of the nicest people you will ever meet. His nickname is Derek "Big House" Obrien. He did some time in the 70s for possession of weed.

Thousands of people petitioned the governor to release him. He was released but is still a past felon. This was during the hey day of Austin's drug scene - Club owners were dealing coke out of the back room. Poor Derek just had under an ounce.

I walked him to his car one night after a late gig downtown (I walk the old guys and the women) and he noticed my sidearm. He told me he would get one if he could - then told me the story.

Holy shit. My nickname is "saw a prison movie once"

SnikPlosskin 05-14-2021 6:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 73sbVert (Post 1881183)

It's not fear.

The vast majority of guitarists are self taught. I am self taught. (When I was learning tablature was new and there was no Internet. We dropped needles on albums and learned the songs)

You are right - the correct way to span four notes is to use the pinky. I use mine all the time but I will also stretch my third finger to hit the note.

Here's why. The pinky is weak.

It can hit notes and adds some efficiency on fast runs but when you want to nail a note like the fist of an angry god, the third finger is stronger.

Derek is also bending heavily (two steps) with heavy strings (that is a 1957 Strat btw running through a 1960 Deluxe Reverb). The third finger, supported by the middle finger allows enough leverage to not just bend, but bend powerfully.

Also the blues scale has a lot of notes that are two frets apart.

If you want inefficient - watch Jimmie. He uses two fingers, lifts his hand way up for every note - it's crazy. But it contributes to his sound. I'll find a video.

He also knows the fretboard like an animal. And hates what is going on in the country. He was unusually friendly at Antone's last month. Maybe I finally won him over. :)

SnikPlosskin 05-14-2021 6:18pm

SnikPlosskin 05-14-2021 6:30pm

SnikPlosskin 05-14-2021 6:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny (Post 1881192)
Django Reinhardt: "If you need more than two fingers, you're doing it wrong"

Thraak: ":funnier::funnier::funnier: "

Nice Pete, enjoyed it. Who's the goofy looking dude in the cowboy hat though?

No idea. Dude is not good.

John E 05-14-2021 6:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnikPlosskin (Post 1881327)
No idea. Dude is not good.

:skia: Strongly disagree. Just goofy lookin' :D (The grin I forgot on previous post) :cert:

SnikPlosskin 05-14-2021 9:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69camfrk (Post 1881096)
Good shit right there. Very soulful singer...Awesome!!:seasix:

That is Jacqui Walker, she is a local band leader. We have performed together quite a bit. I’ve been working with singers since I came out of music retirement but tomorrow I’m back to my roots handling vocals with an unbelievable rhythm section as a four piece - drums from Christopher Cross (the guy on the big hits), my man from Johnny Winter on bass and BB King saxophone man.

We have never played together before in this combination.

Come to think of it, I should start a thread with a link to the live stream. Maybe y’all can tune in. Show is at 6pm central.