The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Hate March's Spring Forward? (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125228)

Mike Mercury 03-10-2021 1:29pm

Hate March's Spring Forward?

There's Some Promising News
15 states hope to make daylight saving time permanent

https://www.newser.com/story/303520/...ss_world_login

If you hate losing an hour of sleep each spring owing to daylight saving time, we have good and bad news. The bad news is that most Americans will still have to move clocks forward one hour at 2am Sunday. The good news is that "momentum for ending the time change is stronger now than ever before," one "time activist" tells USA Today.

Fifteen states—Arkansas, California, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Louisiana, Maine, Ohio, Oregon, South Carolina, Tennessee, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming—have enacted legislation to make daylight saving time a permanent practice, rather than one observed only from March to November. That would mean no more switching of the clocks twice a year, which messes with our circadian rhythms and reportedly leads to an increase in fatal auto accidents. Yet none of the aforementioned states can have their way without federal intervention.

Under the Uniform Time Act of 1966, states have two options: to switch to DST on a particular day or stick with standard time—usually observed from November to March—throughout the year, as is done in Arizona (with the exception of the Navajo Nation, following a decades-old federal exemption, per KNXV), Hawaii, and Puerto Rico. Georgia could soon join that group as a bill requiring year-round standard time has passed the state Senate in the absence of a federal amendment. But Florida Sen. Marco Rubio hopes that amendment will come soon. He's reintroduced the Sunshine Protection Act of 2019, which would allow for year-round daylight saving time across the country, per WTSP. However, it and the similar Daylight Act have "stalled in the House Committee on Energy and Commerce," per USA Today.

https://mamasgeeky.com/wp-content/up...gs-meme-2.jpeg

dvarapala 03-10-2021 1:49pm

Long overdue IMHO.

Vandelay Industries 03-10-2021 2:44pm

[AOC] It means an extra hour of sunlight to charge your car!:hurray: [/AOC]

Little Red L98. 03-10-2021 5:23pm

1 Attachment(s)
It would help me with the SAD.

BayouCountry 03-10-2021 5:37pm

Great news! Every year I had to manually stop software services and wait an hour. Even doing that, software companies could not get it right. I wasted many man-hours fixing databases.

ZipZap 03-10-2021 6:45pm

That's just one of the reasons (not enacting it) that Gavin is being called out on...

Mick 03-10-2021 7:24pm

Cidadian rhythms? The town I live in was founded in 1620, well before the implementation of DST in WW1. We have been getting the Cicadas every 17 years since the town records have been kept. Last time was 2013, I'm betting on 2030 regardless of what the government decides about DST.

snide 03-10-2021 7:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 1865457)
Cidadian rhythms? The town I live in was founded in 1620, well before the implementation of DST in WW1. We have been getting the Cicadas every 17 years since the town records have been kept. Last time was 2013, I'm betting on 2030 regardless of what the government decides about DST.

*Cicadian?
*Circadian?

:shrug:

Anjdog2003 03-10-2021 8:45pm

California voted unanimously not to change clocks a few years ago and we still have to observe it. Almost 2 million petitions getting Newsom out. :yesnod:

ZipZap 03-10-2021 10:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by snide (Post 1865467)
*Cicadian?
*Circadian?

:shrug:

Cicadas. 17 year BroodX coming this year on the east coast. Mick needs another Ambien.

Broken Wind 03-11-2021 2:40am

I don’t understand why changing the time twice a year upsets people. Change your clock and you’re over it in a couple of days if that.

snide 03-11-2021 6:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZipZap (Post 1865528)
Cicadas. 17 year BroodX coming this year on the east coast. Mick needs another Ambien.

:yesnod:

Mick 03-11-2021 7:40am

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZipZap (Post 1865528)

These were taken in late May of 2013.

A few of you need your humor meter serviced.

dvarapala 03-11-2021 11:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broken Wind (Post 1865533)
I don’t understand why changing the time twice a year upsets people. Change your clock and you’re over it in a couple of days if that.

I don't understand why some people want to change the time twice a year. Are you that bored that you need to go around your house and manually reset your clocks every six months or so? :shrug:

Stevedore 03-11-2021 12:59pm

Quote:

Because it's complete horseshit. If your personal life, job, business, hobbies, or whatever you're involved in depend on daylight or nighttime, change your schedule & leave the rest of us alone.

The_Dude 03-11-2021 1:01pm

Quote:

There are measurable health impacts.

ZipZap 03-11-2021 1:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Dude (Post 1865632)
There are measurable health impacts.

Please elaborate...:seasix:

The_Dude 03-11-2021 1:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZipZap (Post 1865644)
Please elaborate...:seasix:

Google will give you a pretty long list of articles.

ZipZap 03-11-2021 1:58pm

Quote:

Not necessarily "upsetting", just stupid. The earth is on a polar axis where the relationship with the sun changes throughout the year. Just deal with with it. I've heard about farmers, school kids, etc., why DST is a good thing. I would suggest the right thing is don't change your clock and you're over it immediately:D

The_Dude 03-11-2021 2:03pm

I don't change the clock in my cars. It stays on DST year round.