The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Thoughts on the DR death toll (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119593)

markids77 06-18-2019 8:48pm

Thoughts on the DR death toll

I have not seen even a whiff of wonder in our mainstream media whether any other country's nationals are dying of "heart attacks" while on vacation in the Dominican Republic. Are any of you aware if French, English, German or other tourist nationalities are suffering similar fates while on holiday there, or is this truly an American only abnormality?

Stangkiller 06-18-2019 8:55pm

Sounds like poisoned minibars to me.

MrPeabody 06-18-2019 9:02pm

https://news.yahoo.com/dominican-rep...210053172.html

bill_daniels 06-18-2019 9:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stangkiller (Post 1673983)
Sounds like poisoned minibars to me.

I think so, too. Finally, being cheap pays off for me. I won't die from drinking tainted minibar liquor, because I just make a liquor store run instead if I want a drink.

markids77 06-18-2019 9:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrPeabody (Post 1673985)

Nice recap for USA... are we truly the only country whose citizens die while in the DR?

MrPeabody 06-18-2019 9:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by markids77 (Post 1673987)
Nice recap for USA... are we truly the only country whose citizens die while in the DR?

Maybe, but I would like to be able to put it into the context of what percentage of tourists there are Americans. If we are, say 95 % of the tourists, then there's nothing odd about it. If we were, say, 30%, then that would be abnormal.

In days long ago a good journalist would do some research and include that info in the article. Now it's just let's write a few paragraphs with a clickbait headline and hope Yahoo picks it up.

TripleBlack 06-18-2019 9:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrPeabody (Post 1673988)
Maybe, but I would like to be able to put it into the context of what percentage of tourists there are Americans. If we are, say 95 % of the tourists, then there's nothing odd about it. If we were, say, 30%, then that would be abnormal.

In days long ago a good journalist would do some research and include that info in the article. Now it's just let's write a few paragraphs with a clickbait headline and hope Yahoo picks it up.

Google sez:
Last year, the Dominican Republic received a record-breaking 6.18 million visitors, which was a 3.9 percent increase compared to 2016. The main source market for the country's tourism was the United States, which made up more than two million of the Caribbean nation's total visitors.May 31, 2018

MrPeabody 06-18-2019 9:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripleBlack (Post 1673989)
Google sez:
Last year, the Dominican Republic received a record-breaking 6.18 million visitors, which was a 3.9 percent increase compared to 2016. The main source market for the country's tourism was the United States, which made up more than two million of the Caribbean nation's total visitors.May 31, 2018

Now that's what I mean. The reporter could have found that out in a few minutes. Thanks.

SnikPlosskin 06-18-2019 10:24pm

Isn’t pulmonary edema a symptom of cyanide poisoning? And insecticide parathenon poisoning.

99 pewtercoupe 06-19-2019 6:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_daniels (Post 1673986)
I think so, too. Finally, being cheap pays off for me. I won't die from drinking tainted minibar liquor, because I just make a liquor store run instead if I want a drink.

Most of those resorts are “all inclusive” so in room alcohol is included. Problem is these are not the typical bottles (airline size) you see in domestic mini bars. They are full size bottles with brand name labels that are in the room when you check in however they are usually already open and partially consumed. I think it is more likely the resorts are refilling bottles with homemade hooch and that is what is poisoning people. This practice is not limited to the DR. Very common in Mexico also

Thunder22 06-19-2019 7:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99 pewtercoupe (Post 1674018)
Most of those resorts are “all inclusive” so in room alcohol is included. Problem is these are not the typical bottles (airline size) you see in domestic mini bars. They are full size bottles with brand name labels that are in the room when you check in however they are usually already open and partially consumed. I think it is more likely the resorts are refilling bottles with homemade hooch and that is what is poisoning people. This practice is not limited to the DR. Very common in Mexico also

And it's not limited to those 2 areas either, TGI Friday's in NJ got caught doing it a few years ago. I was one of the people who noticed it. My cousin works close by a TGIF in NJ so we stopped in for a drink. I ordered a Crown Royal and Coke, which is my primary drink when i'm out, so i know exactly how it should taste, and it was very very off. I had maybe 2 sips and switched to beer thinking it was the ice or something.

Found out a few months later that it tasted odd because they were filling the bottles with rubbing alcohol.

https://www.nydailynews.com/life-sty...icle-1.1414597

VetteBoy1979 06-19-2019 9:24pm

I’ll be there in September. Will report back....or will I? :sadangel:

Stangkiller 06-19-2019 9:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by VetteBoy1979 (Post 1674091)

Can I babysit the go Kart? Just in case :leaving:

VetteBoy1979 06-19-2019 10:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stangkiller (Post 1674093)
Can I babysit the go Kart? Just in case :leaving:

Can you fit in the kart? 🤣

Mike Mercury 06-20-2019 8:22am

https://pics.ballmemes.com/minibars-...up-3473512.png

DAB 06-20-2019 10:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by VetteBoy1979 (Post 1674091)

new AD campaign: come for a week, stay forever.... :slap::leaving:

Mike Mercury 06-20-2019 10:36am

come to relax.

Stay because you were poisoned.

Thunder22 06-29-2019 6:35am

The over simplification of what's going on in the DR is what annoys me. The defenders in the travel business say "x% of people die there all the time!" or "this is nothing new, 15 Americans died there last year!".

But that's just b.s. defensiveness because this is hurting their profession (travel agents).

It's not the quantity of people who have died, it's the causes.

Take for example last year - the State Department said that roughly 13 Americans died in the DR last year- were all from suicide, drownings, automobile accidents, etc. which aren't suspicious!

This year, the deaths are suspicious - healthy people passing out in their rooms and never regaining consciousness after drinking something.... not drowning, or suicide or car accident etc.

The Travel industry is spinning this like crazy, let's see what the FBI finds after it completes the tox reports on teh people who died that the DR didn't cremate.