The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Iranian Jets can't hit chit (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43074)

Bucwheat 11-09-2012 12:06pm

Iranian Jets can't hit chit

An Iranian jet shot at a U.S. predator drone last week over the Persian Gulf, the Pentagon confirmed Thursday.
Pentagon spokesman George Little said the drone was not downed and was over international waters. The incident was first reported by CNN.
Little said the drone was performing "routine surveillance" and was about 16 miles off the Iranian coast when an Iranian SU-25 warplane intercepted it and opened fire. He said it was the first time an unmanned U.S. aircraft was shot at in international airspace over the Gulf, and would not say which branch of the military the drone belonged to.
Little said the U.S. informed the Iranians that it would continue to conduct such surveillance flights in international airspace.
The drone's still and video cameras allegedly captured the Nov. 1 incident, CNN reports.
The Iranian jet was part of the infamous Revolutionary Guard, which is generally seen as more aggressive than the regular Iranian military, CNN reports.

:dance:

onedef92 11-09-2012 12:13pm

Aren't those bitches still trying to keep aloft those ancient F-4 Phantoms they purchased from us back in the day before the Shah got overthrown in '79 and shit?

jaxgator 11-09-2012 12:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by onedef92 (Post 808720)
Aren't those bitches still trying to keep aloft those ancient F-4 Phantoms they purchased from us back in the day before the Shah got overthrown in '79 and shit?

I don't know about that but the SU-25 is an old bird too.

Quote:

After testing, the aircraft went into series production in 1978

Sukhoi Su-25 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Doug28450 11-09-2012 12:23pm

Maybe they are mixing and matching the F-4/SU-25 parts.

boracayjohnny 11-09-2012 12:24pm

Wait, they didn't shoot it down but only shot it? I mean, if they're pissed off enough to shoot at it wouldn't it follow they'd shoot it down? So, the folks use their aircraft like their hand held weapons; spray and pray. :D

Cybercowboy 11-09-2012 12:24pm

Yeah, it was just another story the media/government complex buried until after the election. Can't give the electorate actual news that could adversely affect their opinion of Dear Leader.

69camfrk 11-09-2012 12:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cybercowboy (Post 808737)
Yeah, it was just another story the media/government complex buried until after the election. Can't give the electorate actual news that could adversely affect their opinion of Dear Leader.

Makes me trust the .gov even more!!!!:sadangel::leaving:

onedef92 11-09-2012 12:30pm

So, the folks use their aircraft like their hand held weapons; spray and pray.

Smells like that's the way many of them use their deodorant and other personal hygiene products, too. :ack:

Bill 11-09-2012 12:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug28450 (Post 808734)
Maybe they are mixing and matching the F-4/SU-25 parts.

That would probably be cool to see.....kinda like the old American classics in Cuba kept running with Russian parts.

Neccessity is the mother of invention.

Iron Chef 11-09-2012 12:33pm

Quote:

Yup...and F-14 Tomcats too. Unfortunately, they can't get parts for them so the only way they're keeping them flying is cannibalization of other aircraft.

Would love to see an F-14 of theirs come up against an F-22. :D

Bill 11-09-2012 12:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron Chef (Post 808749)
Yup...and F-14 Tomcats too. Unfortunately, they can't get parts for them so the only way they're keeping them flying is cannibalization of other aircraft.

I'd prefer NOT to see that happen.....then again, I'm a peacenik*.

*....except for the pacifist part. I believe in a strong defense.

onedef92 11-09-2012 12:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron Chef (Post 808749)

Hell, an F-18 Super Hornet could take out a greenhorn fighter jock in a Tomcat, let alone an F-22.

FasterTraffic 11-09-2012 12:37pm

Iran is the world's troll. My guess is they shoot at the drone, but don't hit it, intentionally to provoke an aggressive response. Shooting down the drone would cross the line; there's actual damage. If they shoot at the drone and get America to shoot back, you better believe there'd be "Great Western Satan Attacks Peaceful Muslim Country" headlines all over the place.

Saddam might have been using the same playbook thinking the other Muslim countries would come to his aid against the West after taunting the world with WMD threats.

Craig 11-09-2012 12:40pm

I guess that's why they want a nuke; you don't have to be all that accurate with a nuke.

boracayjohnny 11-09-2012 12:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by onedef92 (Post 808744)
So, the folks use their aircraft like their hand held weapons; spray and pray.

Smells like that's the way many of them use their deodorant and other personal hygiene products, too. :ack:

It's true. Them fellas is ripe.

onedef92 11-09-2012 12:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by FasterTraffic (Post 808757)
Iran is the world's troll. My guess is they shoot at the drone, but don't hit it, intentionally to provoke an aggressive response. Shooting down the drone would cross the line; there's actual damage. If they shoot at the drone and get America to shoot back, you better believe there'd be "Great Western Satan Attacks Peaceful Muslim Country" headlines all over the place.

Saddam might have been using the same playbook thinking the other Muslim countries would come to his aid against the West after taunting the world with WMD threats.

Just another punk-assed tactic. The same way they harass our Navy using highly manuverable surface craft to race around our destroyers and other ships and pick at our 5-Inch/54-caliber (Mk 45) lightweight gun crews.

Iron Chef 11-09-2012 12:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_daniels (Post 808750)
I'd prefer NOT to see that happen.....then again, I'm a peacenik*.

*....except for the pacifist part. I believe in a strong defense.

OK...I take it back. I'd love to see an F-22 toy with one of their F-14's like a cat plays with a ball of yarn.

THEN blow it to pieces. :D

Bill 11-09-2012 12:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig (Post 808766)
I guess that's why they want a nuke; you don't have to be all that accurate with a nuke.

Think they'd settle for hand grenades and horse shoes?

Kevin_73 11-09-2012 12:43pm

Quote:

F4 Phantoms would be easy to get parts for since so many other countries employed them (and some still do).
You are probably thinking of the F-14 Tomcats that Iran purchased from us before the fall of the Shah. I have read several places that the Grumman maintenance contractors that were in Iran as instructors for their air force might have sabotaged all (or most) of those F-14's on their way out of town.
I don't think any of them ever flew again.

Bill 11-09-2012 12:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron Chef (Post 808771)
OK...I take it back. I'd love to see an F-22 toy with one of their F-14's like a cat plays with a ball of yarn.

THEN blow it to pieces. :D

The coffee soaked keyboard.....it's going on your tab.

:rofl: