The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Is it Thursday already? I feel like I lost a couple of days... (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120452)

snide 10-10-2019 7:34pm

Is it Thursday already? I feel like I lost a couple of days...

Maybe that's because I did!

For the last couple of weeks, I've been feeling run down, in excruciating pain, along with numbness in my left arm. Tuesday morning, I took a look at WebMD and typed in the symptoms. Naturally, the first possible problem listed was "mild heart attack". Oh, and when I got up Tuesday morning, my left arm had massive bruises.

This information freaked out the wife, so she made me go to the ER to get checked out. After an EKG and some bloodwork in the triage area, they wheeled me back into the ER. When a room became available, I was put into a room.

After a few more tests, they told me that they wanted to keep me overnight. They did tell me, however, that I did not have a heart attack, but that I was suffering from a drug overdose!

So, a heartfelt thank you to everyone how has ever suggested "hookers and blow" on this board. :cheers:

But seriously folks, I've been on Warfarin/Coumadin/rat poison for over 24 years. Not sure how, but my INR (blood coagulation coefficient) was not measurable. The scale goes up to 8.0, and I was over. Go big, or go home, right? :D

After a couple of days of IVs, my INR came back down to 3.4, which, while still "high", is within acceptable parameters. After the pulmonary embolism I had 7 1/2 years ago, my doctor wanted to keep me in the 2.7 to 3.0 range.

Bottom line is, if I hadn't gone to the ER on Tuesday, I probably wouldn't have been able to type this thread. Laurie would have posted a different thread.

:cheers:

snide 10-10-2019 7:34pm

TL;DR: Almost died, but didn't.

markids77 10-10-2019 7:44pm

My Dad recently had a similar reaction... they pumped him full of vitamin K and sent him home with this little test kit he uses once a week and phones the numbers in to his cardiologist. No one can tell us what triggered his excursion; I hope you find the cause of yours.

Grey Ghost 10-10-2019 8:01pm

I thought they kept a blood check on anyone taking coumadin?

YOU are VERY lucky and smart to have gone to the ER. My cousin was also on it for years. A new Dr. switched him to a different blood thinner with or without much knowledge or consideration. He literally bled out in a McDonald's bathroom. They got him to the hospital, but could not get his blood to coagulate with the new thinner he had been taking. I think with coumadin they have a drug to stop it and get your blood back to normal. They gave my cousin countless blood products...and couldn't get it reversed. He died a horrible death from it.

Don't ever hesitate to go to the ER when you are on any blood thinner.

Glad you are here to start this thread.

I also had another friend go the hosp. a couple of weeks ago with arm pain. Heart attack and he also died.

simpleman68 10-10-2019 8:05pm

Damn Al, glad you got in to find out what was going on.
Coumadin is really strong med. What is your BP range without it?

My Aunt had high blood pressure most of her life and at 75 they took her off of it for a surgery and her BP went to near perfect levels and stayed there until the day she died.

I often wonder WTH was up with that.
Scott

Millenium Vette 10-10-2019 8:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by snide (Post 1685347)
TL;DR: Almost died, but didn't.

Ohhhh, we read it alright, just thankful you are still among us. :seasix:

:cert:

marrepka 10-10-2019 9:33pm

Glad you're still with us, take care :seasix:

dwjz06 10-10-2019 10:24pm

Damn Alan. Glad you got it checked out. :cert:

SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84 10-11-2019 12:58am

Glad your wife took the lead!!! Scary stuff!
New chapter, new life!:seasix:

Olustee bus 10-11-2019 3:50am

Glad you went to the ER, albeit a little late. Hey guys, if you have SERIOUS symptoms, see a doctor soon.

Black94lt1 10-11-2019 4:10am

Damn that’s scary, hope they determine what caused it to go so far out of whack. Glad you went to the ER, as guys we’re too stubborn when it comes to getting medical help

86RAG 10-11-2019 4:26am

Damn Alan, glad you caught it in time, but just make sure to keep an eye on this. Hope they get you all figured out and back to being healthy! :cert:

Much happier to be reading this thread than the one Laurie would have been posting :yesnod: :seasix:

Datawiz 10-11-2019 6:20am

:angel:

Rodnok1 10-11-2019 7:02am

Glad you're gonna be alright man.

Norm 10-11-2019 8:07am

Pulled through, good. :seasix::cert:

Mike Mercury 10-11-2019 8:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by snide (Post 1685346)
Laurie would have posted a different thread.

For Sale; large sized clothing, snow-cone maker, and misc items. :)

https://pics.me.me/buti-love-warfari...t-42214409.png

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/21/40...70a47466e4.jpg

snide 10-11-2019 9:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury (Post 1685398)

This is exactly why I stopped shaving my legs. :leaving:

Bill 10-11-2019 12:21pm

Sounds scary. Going forward, see if maybe you can just drink heavily to thin out your blood, vs. taking the rat poison. Do it the natural way...a few shots of your favorite libation every so often.

Glad you decided to get it checked out when you did.

Jobaka 10-11-2019 1:54pm

Damn, it's hard to get rid of you.

Please keep it that way.

Rob 10-11-2019 4:10pm

Glad you are still here man. You need to give the Mrs my number so she can let me know these things. Maybe can’t do much from here, but you will be in our prayers