The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Gun question (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126338)

Stevedore 07-16-2021 7:28am

Gun question

I recently acquired a Beretta 92FS, and am interested in the extended magazine release offered by Beretta, part # C86992P. I can't comfortably release the magazine without using 2 hands, and I'm thinking the larger button might help.

My question: Does anyone here know for certain that the extended release can be installed on either the left or right side, as is possible with the factory release, or will it only work on the left side?

The Ebay seller I asked said something like "To the best of my knowledge it should work." Not very reassuring.

Thanks. :cert:

Strats-N-Vettes 07-16-2021 7:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevedore (Post 1897614)
I recently acquired a Beretta 92FS, and am interested in the extended magazine release offered by Beretta, part # C86992P. I can't comfortably release the magazine without using 2 hands, and I'm thinking the larger button might help.

My question: Does anyone here know for certain that the extended release can be installed on either the left or right side, as is possible with the factory release, or will it only work on the left side?

The Ebay seller I asked said something like "To the best of my knowledge it should work." Not very reassuring.

Thanks. :cert:

@Hardluck aka Porter may know.

DAB 07-16-2021 7:52am

Works either way.

Installed mine a few years ago. Easy. Videos on YouTube to guide you.

Stevedore 07-16-2021 10:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 1897618)
Works either way.

Thanks! I ordered the "D" spring you had recommended in an earlier post of mine, just need to schedule some quiet time to install it. I'll get the mag release & do it all at once, I guess.

At the same time, I'm going to trace, measure, etc., the grips with the long-term intention of making some wood grips. With your woodworking skills, have you ever done any? Seems like it could be a tedious, but rewarding, small project.

SnikPlosskin 07-16-2021 1:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 1897618)
Works either way.

Yup. On the 96 too.

DAB 07-16-2021 1:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevedore (Post 1897664)
Thanks! I ordered the "D" spring you had recommended in an earlier post of mine, just need to schedule some quiet time to install it. I'll get the mag release & do it all at once, I guess.

At the same time, I'm going to trace, measure, etc., the grips with the long-term intention of making some wood grips. With your woodworking skills, have you ever done any? Seems like it could be a tedious, but rewarding, small project.

long ago i tried to make some 1911 grips out of some exotic wood scraps. not worth the effort. i think the 92 would have the same result.

Beretta offers some nice wood grips on their website, and lately i've been favoring the VZ grips for the 92 and 1911. checkering is fine for me, they have other patterns too, and the G10 material can be had in lots of colors, so pick one you like. they don't wear out like walnut or rosewood.

hammer spring swap is way easy. there is a trick to the mag release, the far end goes in first, not the button end. and then it just snaps in, and you wonder "why does everyone have trouble with this?" this was easy.

i might have a "few" Berettas.....cough.....

BADRACR1 07-16-2021 3:05pm

92's are good shooters. I had a few.

markids77 07-16-2021 9:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevedore (Post 1897664)

Never did a set of grips for the 92 but I have made grips for 1911 and Hi Power.
It is possible to make nice grips with basic tools but the learning curve is steep.
I would start with something like clear poplar or "white wood" from the local Home Lowe's before probably ruining a nice set of exotic blanks. A set of wood carving chisels and a set of forstner bits are essential; along with a well developed resistance to swearing blue streaks and throwing tools.

DJ_Critterus 07-17-2021 6:19am

I might just have the one pictured below. Hated carrying the 92FS when I was in the Army. IT's better than nothing, but the 9mm ball round is worthless.

https://picturearchive.gunauction.co...afc17d5d70.jpg

Torqaholic 07-17-2021 7:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ_Critterus (Post 1897798)
... the 9mm ball round is worthless.

Yup, not much different than using a pointy stick, but handloaded soft lead ball is not too shabby when you're pushing it to near store bought 357 velocities.

For factory loads there was Nyclad. A nylon coated soft lead hollow point over a standard powder load. Those puppies worked as intended. Can't get them in 9mm anymore though. If they were still made it's all I'd shoot out of my punk guns.

Norm 07-17-2021 8:01am

Used to carry one back in my Coast Guard days, got some of my best qualification scores with that.
My son has one, been targeting with it, still have a good shot pattern.
Been thinking about picking one up just for S&G's, will look good in the armory with the others. :D

https://www.beretta.com/en/92-fs/

Norm 07-17-2021 8:48am

2 Attachment(s)
With another agency, we were allowed to carry our own as long as it met their criteria, shot pretty decent with that too.
That Beretta Cougar 8000 still pulls security duty at the ready on my desk. :D

ZipZap 07-17-2021 12:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevedore (Post 1897614)
I recently acquired a Beretta 92FS

Good luck against the F-15's and nukes...

DAB 07-17-2021 4:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZipZap (Post 1897858)
Good luck against the F-15's and nukes...

pfft, have two A-10s in the garage, and picked up a used Scud missile for cheap.

ZipZap 07-17-2021 10:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 1897884)
pfft, have two A-10s in the garage, and picked up a used Scud missile for cheap.

I'm sure you could carve something like a tank:rofl:

DJ_Critterus 07-18-2021 8:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norm (Post 1897816)
Used to carry one back in my Coast Guard days, got some of my best qualification scores with that.
My son has one, been targeting with it, still have a good shot pattern.
Been thinking about picking one up just for S&G's, will look good in the armory with the others. :D

https://www.beretta.com/en/92-fs/

Good luck finding ammo any time soon.

Norm 07-18-2021 5:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ_Critterus (Post 1897999)
Good luck finding ammo any time soon.

Both son and myself have been stocking up over the years, have a decent cache of 9mm ammo.