The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Our classy First Lady... (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46398)

lspencer534 01-22-2013 5:37pm

Our classy First Lady...

First the rolling of her eyes...then the elbow on the table...then chewing with her mouth half-open. What a class act for the world to see. Taken at the post-inaugural luncheon:

DropTheTop 01-22-2013 5:46pm

Wow. I need to show my Mom this. We were raised with great table manners, in case we ever had the opportunity to eat with the President! We used to think that was such a lame explanation.

lspencer534 01-22-2013 5:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DropTheTop (Post 866538)
Wow. I need to show my Mom this. We were raised with great table manners, in case we ever had the opportunity to eat with the President! We used to think that was such a lame explanation.

As some of you know, I grew up in a very poor family. That did not keep me from being taught good table manners. My grandmother (who raised me) made sure that all of us kids were properly trained to eat at any table, even the White House table. We also ended every sentence to everyone with "Ma'am" or "Sir".

DukeAllen 01-22-2013 5:53pm

I guess Han Solo just never taught Chewbacca any table manners.

lefthander 01-22-2013 5:57pm

a Wanna be who is arguably the biggest racist this side of Al Sharpton.

Giraffe (He/Him) 01-22-2013 5:59pm

Agreed, the elbow on the table probably isn't the height of good manners, and chewing your food with your mouth open is worse.

Having your every move caught on camera probably isn't much fun either.

Cybercowboy 01-22-2013 6:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas (Post 866548)

I feel so sorry for her.

lspencer534 01-22-2013 6:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas (Post 866548)
Agreed, the elbow on the table probably isn't the height of good manners, and chewing your food with your mouth open is worse.

But so easily preventable--learn some manners!

Giraffe (He/Him) 01-22-2013 6:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cybercowboy (Post 866550)
I feel so sorry for her.

I don't. :shrug:

Sea Six 01-22-2013 6:05pm

Michelle Obama... putting the "assy" back in "classy."

:hurray:

That's one stupid stunt.

MEC5LADY 01-22-2013 6:05pm

I didn't get past the President picking his nose. :puke:

MrPeabody 01-22-2013 6:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by lspencer534 (Post 866541)
As some of you know, I grew up in a very poor family. That did not keep me from being taught good table manners. My grandmother (who raised me) made sure that all of us kids were properly trained to eat at any table, even the White House table. We also ended every sentence to everyone with "Ma'am" or "Sir".

True for most from our era. Today you're lucky if everybody even eats at the table at the same time. Food preparation has become too fast and convenient. A family meal used to be an event.

When my grandchildren were younger and lived nearby, both of their parents and my wife worked a lot of odd hours. I was always off on weekends and insisted that at least every Sunday night they come to my house and sit down for dinner at a certain time. This day, they will tell you they appreciated it.

lspencer534 01-22-2013 6:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrPeabody (Post 866561)
True for most from our era. Today you're lucky if everybody even eats at the table at the same time. Food preparation has become too fast and convenient. A family meal used to be an event.

When my grandchildren were younger and lived nearby, both of their parents and my wife worked a lot of odd hours. I was always off on weekends and insisted that at least every Sunday night they come to my house and sit down for dinner at a certain time. This day, they will tell you they appreciated it.

Amen! Some peeps reading this may think that meals weren't very enjoyable at your house and mine, but they would be wrong. As soon as manners become second-nature everyone at the table has a wonderful time: Laughing, telling stories, just having fun. Yes, you can have manners and fun at the same time.

OddBall 01-22-2013 6:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MEC5LADY (Post 866557)

:iagree: at the table for chrissakes!

Sneaks 01-22-2013 6:28pm

You can take the rat out of the hood, but you can't take the hood out of the rat. :leaving:

Giraffe (He/Him) 01-22-2013 6:30pm

Quote:

True for most from our era.
No doubt. :cert:

Quote:

A family meal used to be an event.
It wasn't an event at our house, it was just part of the day. You were expected to be there, have manners, and contribute. At my house it was; "Are you TRYING to get kicked out of school? Why can't you be more like your sister!!" :D

lspencer534 01-22-2013 6:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas (Post 866589)
No doubt. :cert:

It wasn't an event at our house, it was just part of the day. You were expected to be there, have manners, and contribute. At my house it was; "Are you TRYING to get kicked out of school? Why can't you be more like your sister!!" :D

What did your sister look like? Pics?

Giraffe (He/Him) 01-22-2013 6:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by lspencer534 (Post 866590)
What did your sister look like? Pics?

I've posted them in the past. :lol:

DaveK88 01-22-2013 6:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MEC5LADY (Post 866557)

At least he didn't flick it :shots:

:cert:

Kerrmudgeon 01-22-2013 6:46pm

:p......you people are pretty hard on them. Except for the elbow, it looked perfectly fine to me, and he's not picking his nose, he's rubbing it, probably itchy. Doesn't your nose get itchy once in a while. Give 'em a break. :slap: