The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Ring Doorbell- Thoughts? (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119781)

Stevedore 07-16-2019 7:20am

Ring Doorbell- Thoughts?

We've been thinking of a couple of security cameras for our house; one for the front door & one for the driveway near the garage doors. We'd primarily like to see who's outside before answering.

For the front, I'm thinking of the Ring Doorbell 2, an Amazon Prime day deal. There's also a Ring camera combined with security lights that would be good for the driveway area. It's direct wired, so would be an easy replacement for the motion lights we have there now.

A lot of the reviews of the Ring products complain that they're slow to start recording, and you get delayed alerts while someone is outside. As with most reviews, you can never tell if the reviewer has a legitimate complaint, or if he/she is just a moron who doesn't know how to configure or use the thing.

Any experience here with Ring products? Thoughts, opinions? I know they charge you a few $ per month to store your video, which is a downside compared to local storage, but probably acceptable to me.

mrvette 07-16-2019 7:28am

All I know is that when the guy across the street passed on, his niece had a cam installed in the doorbell spot, it sees all the way across the street, and alarms if anyone approaches the door, she monitors over the .net from her house on other side of town.....she sees Chuck and I get the paper every AM and set out front chatting and reading in the AM.....and she commented about me sticking my tongue out at the cam....so this AM I saw some ads hanging on the door, and picked them up, waved them in front of the cam, and stuck my tongue out......:lol:

dvarapala 07-16-2019 7:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevedore (Post 1676530)
A lot of the reviews of the Ring products complain that they're slow to start recording, and you get delayed alerts while someone is outside.

:yesnod:

Ring is a toy. Yeah, it's easy to set up and use, and it's cheap, but when it comes to the things you really need a security camera for it falls flat.

Unfortunately if you want something better it's going to cost a lot more and be a lot more difficult to set up, especially for remote access.

This site has lots of good info. Many of the regulars are professional CCTV installers.

LilRedCorvette 07-16-2019 11:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevedore (Post 1676530)
We've been thinking of a couple of security cameras for our house; one for the front door & one for the driveway near the garage doors. We'd primarily like to see who's outside before answering.

For the front, I'm thinking of the Ring Doorbell 2, an Amazon Prime day deal. There's also a Ring camera combined with security lights that would be good for the driveway area. It's direct wired, so would be an easy replacement for the motion lights we have there now.

A lot of the reviews of the Ring products complain that they're slow to start recording, and you get delayed alerts while someone is outside. As with most reviews, you can never tell if the reviewer has a legitimate complaint, or if he/she is just a moron who doesn't know how to configure or use the thing.

Any experience here with Ring products? Thoughts, opinions? I know they charge you a few $ per month to store your video, which is a downside compared to local storage, but probably acceptable to me.

Hopefully this guy doesn't come visit you...

Stangkiller 07-16-2019 11:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvarapala (Post 1676547)
:yesnod:

Ring is a toy. Yeah, it's easy to set up and use, and it's cheap, but when it comes to the things you really need a security camera for it falls flat.

Unfortunately if you want something better it's going to cost a lot more and be a lot more difficult to set up, especially for remote access.

This site has lots of good info. Many of the regulars are professional CCTV installers.

agreed, I vote HikVision.

HOWSER 07-16-2019 11:50am

I’ve used Ring for the last year and love it.

Uncle Meat 07-16-2019 12:51pm

We have the Ring Doorbell Pro and I just recently added the Ring Floodlight Cam for the driveway. It all seems to work just fine. I have no complaints thus far.

U.M.

C3C7NIC 07-16-2019 3:31pm

We have our entire property monitored by cameras w/night vision. Also have cameras set up inside the house.

Between our dogs and the cameras, we have had no issues with break ins etc.. the neighbors, however, have had several circumstances where they have needed our video footage as we are on a cul-de-sac. Have zero regrets about installing this system. Ours is hard wired and programmed to record motion.

We do not have ring, but very happy with our current system. Little bit of a learning curve to use Watchnet system.

Peace of mind as we can keep an eye on everything when we are away from home.

bsmith 07-16-2019 5:34pm

I didn't do a lot of research like I normally do, but took the recommendation of a buddy and got a Pro.
It's on sale tonight $169 and comes with one of the little Amazon devices.
I paid $199 a month ago for just the doorbell...and that was a sale.
Added the security system, and ordered another camera today.

3 of my neighbors bought doorbells this week, and two ordered the security system.

Black94lt1 07-16-2019 9:21pm

We’ve had a ring pro for about a year and a half and are very pleased, the only complaint I have is if you are on cellular data trying to communicate with someone at the door, it can be pretty broken if the cell signal is week