The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   KEEBLER 1 ; Girls Scouts 0 (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106903)

Aerovette 03-16-2017 3:06pm

KEEBLER 1 ; Girls Scouts 0

I have been to three different grocery stores over the last several days and no urchins in green selling cookies. I went rogue and I'm not going back. More cookies, less money, same taste.

https://images.kglobalservices.com/w...shopper_3d.png

https://smedia.webcollage.net/rwvfp/...b.png.w960.png

thecornerman 03-16-2017 3:38pm

That's funny
I'm sitting there right now
I'll go ask whyhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...b1a201deb7.jpg

Aerovette 03-16-2017 3:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecornerman (Post 1547163)
That's funny
I'm sitting there right now
I'll go ask whyhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...b1a201deb7.jpg

Not at all how I imagined the inside of a hollow tree to look.

boracayjohnny 03-16-2017 3:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerovette (Post 1547169)

:rofl::seasix:

DAB 03-16-2017 3:55pm

Quote:

it's BIG tree, in fact, it's YUGE!!!

C5SilverBullet 03-16-2017 6:49pm

You've missed all the Girl Scouts, that was a few weeks ago.

thecornerman 03-16-2017 8:44pm

Quote:

That sign came from the roof of the old hollow tree
And no
It's not hollow anymore

Sneaks 03-16-2017 8:57pm

Quote:

:lol::lol:

Bill 03-16-2017 9:19pm

I only had one Girl Scout come to my door this year. I usually buy a box or two from any kid that is out pounding the pavement, just because. Setting up a table in front of a big box store? Uh, no. Thanks for phoning it in and everything, but I really don't WANT your overpriced cookies that aren't really that great.

SteelCityBlue 03-16-2017 10:10pm

DO the keebler ones really taste like thin mints and samoas?

Iron Chef 03-16-2017 11:54pm

Bunch Of Damn Whiners

You guys really amaze me. All you do is bitch about how kids these days are idiots, can’t think, can’t work, snowflakes, millenials, blah blah blah. Along comes the Girl Scouts...good kids selling cookies to raise money for their Troop and actually do some good, and that’s not good enough for you either. Now they’re accosting you because they’re basically asking for help. POLITELY. And somehow their cause has suddenly become less worthy because they won’t hoof it down your street. So by all means don’t help them out. Really award winning logic there.

And complaining about the cost of the cookies? Seriously? We’re on a friggin’ CORVETTE forum. Many of us drive “toys” costing north of $60,000 and you’re bitching about the cost of a box of cookies? Has it occurred to any of you that it really isn't about the cookies? As our old Scoutmaster explained: "It's really like a gift they give you when you donate to public television." Girl Scouts do not receive funding from the National Level and around 70% of the cost of the box of cookies goes to the local council.

My son was in Scouting for 11 of his first 18 years and is an Eagle Scout. Part of the reason he became the outstanding person he is today is due in no small part to what he learned and experienced in Boy Scouts. I can’t believe that Girl Scouts would be any different.

I don’t buy the cookies because I don’t eat a lot of sugar. But whenever I see the kids out there in front of the store, Girl or Boy Scouts, I always peel off a few dollars and give it to them as a donation. It’s the least I can do and I look at it as an investment in this country’s future.

Keebler didn't win anything. In fact, it's us who lost.

:spdchk: :spdchk: :spdchk: :spdchk:

mrvette 03-17-2017 4:35am

Many of the best times I had with my kids was during/tied in with scouting adventures......I about grinned and laughed my ass off......like the skeleton on a cart at night, lit up just right, it was PHREEEEEKOUT time for the newbies.....

and the fishing trips on the Chesapeake Bay.....on a headboat .....catching fish over 2' long, some closer to 3'.....

and the girl scouts in my garage, under my car, learning how to change oil, and how brakes, steering, suspension worked, what made an engine run/turn over what a trans and diffy were about.....some of them actually got alll.....

ICKY/GREEEZZZZZZY......totally shocked and amazed for a few GIRL scouts.....

:rofl::issues:

Black94lt1 03-17-2017 6:27am

Rather than quoting IC's post I'll just say I agree. I work with a guy who's daughter is a Girl Scout and the money each girl nets goes into an individual account for their activities so it really does have a direct positive impact on what they are able to participate in and experience. I try not to eat many of them, but I buy several boxes and share them with the office. BTW if you haven't tried the Savanna Smiles (lemon shortbread) they are tasty :D

Chris Fowler 03-17-2017 7:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_daniels (Post 1547271)
I only had one Girl Scout come to my door this year. I usually buy a box or two from any kid that is out pounding the pavement, just because. Setting up a table in front of a big box store? Uh, no. Thanks for phoning it in and everything, but I really don't WANT your overpriced cookies that aren't really that great.

They actually discourage them from going door to door these days. Apparently it's gotten too dangerous. :cuss:

WalkerInTN 03-17-2017 7:46am

In my area, I haven't seen a Girl Scout at my door in 3-4 years. Even though a parent was with her, it's probably still a safety issue these days. :yesnod:

As far as seeing them at the stores, they only work weekends. Try in front of a Walmart on a Saturday or Sunday morning for the best results. :seasix:

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelCityBlue (Post 1547278)

They're similar & still pretty good, but I still prefer the Samoas. :cert:

Aerovette 03-17-2017 8:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron Chef (Post 1547283)
You guys really amaze me. All you do is bitch about how kids these days are idiots, can’t think, can’t work, snowflakes, millenials, blah blah blah. Along comes the Girl Scouts...good kids selling cookies to raise money for their Troop and actually do some good, and that’s not good enough for you either. Now they’re accosting you because they’re basically asking for help. POLITELY. And somehow their cause has suddenly become less worthy because they won’t hoof it down your street. So by all means don’t help them out. Really award winning logic there.

And complaining about the cost of the cookies? Seriously? We’re on a friggin’ CORVETTE forum. Many of us drive “toys” costing north of $60,000 and you’re bitching about the cost of a box of cookies? Has it occurred to any of you that it really isn't about the cookies? As our old Scoutmaster explained: "It's really like a gift they give you when you donate to public television." Girl Scouts do not receive funding from the National Level and around 70% of the cost of the box of cookies goes to the local council.

My son was in Scouting for 11 of his first 18 years and is an Eagle Scout. Part of the reason he became the outstanding person he is today is due in no small part to what he learned and experienced in Boy Scouts. I can’t believe that Girl Scouts would be any different.

I don’t buy the cookies because I don’t eat a lot of sugar. But whenever I see the kids out there in front of the store, Girl or Boy Scouts, I always peel off a few dollars and give it to them as a donation. It’s the least I can do and I look at it as an investment in this country’s future.

Keebler didn't win anything. In fact, it's us who lost.

:spdchk: :spdchk: :spdchk: :spdchk:

Someone missed their nap.

Rather strong response over 6 dollars worth of cookies. I don't think my Kroger purchase is going to bring down scouting. Also, if they were at the stores over the last few weekends, they were not any the three near me. If they had been, I would have EASILY walked off with 10 boxes. :seasix: Maybe more.

I used to buy the cookies from someone I worked with to support GS, BUT, since no one I work with now was selling them, and no girls were in sight AND, I had a hankering for them, I bought Keebler's which I can get YEAR ROUND and will continue to, until Girls Scouts are back in front of the stores.

Boy Scouts don't sell cookies and somehow they have managed to carry on without that revenue stream.

Deep breaths...:cool1:

Aerovette 03-17-2017 8:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelCityBlue (Post 1547278)

Yes.. More than likely because of this...

Only two companies make all the Cookies

Girl Scout Cookies are made by two licensed bakers: ABC Smart Cookies and Little Brownie Bakers (A subsidiary of KEEBLER). Each Girl Scout council can choose who they want to provide their beloved biscuits, just like each baker gets to choose what to call their Cookies and what recipe to use. That’s why you wept that time you wanted Tagalongs, but thought you could only get Peanut Butter Patties before realizing they were the same thing.

VatorMan 03-17-2017 8:56am

Apparently my wife has a standing order with one of the locals. A bunch of assorted cookies for us and an order for the troops overseas. I pass by the munchkins at Lowes with my head held high. lol