The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Never Before Seen WW2 Photographs (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116043)

StaticCling 05-15-2018 10:31am

Never Before Seen WW2 Photographs

5 Attachment(s)
These have never been published anywhere, as they were found in my Grandfather's belongings when he passed away a few years ago. He served with the 332nd Engineers and received battle participation credits for Normandy, Northern France and Germany.

The story my Grandfather told me was that the airplane ditched after getting hit with our AA fire. Grandpa and his friend took the pilot prisoner and swiped his brand new P-38 pistol.

The last pic is my Grandfather...

StaticCling 05-15-2018 10:33am

I believe the 1st and 3rd pic is a different aircraft than the first two pictures. I have some other pics located somewhere, i'll try to dig them up. My father has the originals. The 2nd pic is definitely a FW-190, I believe the 1st and 3rd pics are an ME-109

There is another pic somewhere of that ME109, which appeared to be hidden in a hedgerow...They probably took that base over or something after running the Germans out.

04 commemorative 05-15-2018 11:42am

Now you can't say that.......cool pics though

VITE1 05-15-2018 11:47am

:seasix::shots:

Defib1961 05-15-2018 12:36pm

:USA::USA::halfmast::halfmast:

snide 05-15-2018 1:22pm

I wish that I had had the time to talk to my grandfather about his experience in WWII. When I was a kid, he never talked about. He unfortunately passed when I was a teen, so I didn't really get to talk to him.

VITE1 05-15-2018 1:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by snide (Post 1628043)
I wish that I had had the time to talk to my grandfather about his experience in WWII. When I was a kid, he never talked about. He unfortunately passed when I was a teen, so I didn't really get to talk to him.

I tried for years to get my Father to tell me more about his time in WWII and Korea. Never got much except epic stores of R&R's that would make Penthouse letters blush.

But once in a while I'd get my Godfather a little drunk and he would tell stories about my father. They were down right scary.

MrPeabody 05-15-2018 1:56pm

My dad never talked much about WWII until the 80s when he went to some reunions of his bomber group. We actually talked quite a bit about it before he passed away in '90. I still have a thousand questions I would like to ask him, though.:yesnod:

PortDawg 05-15-2018 5:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrPeabody (Post 1628045)
My dad never talked much about WWII until the 80s when he went to some reunions of his bomber group. We actually talked quite a bit about it before he passed away in '90. I still have a thousand questions I would like to ask him, though.:yesnod:

My Dad was 91st Bomb Group. Yours?

MrPeabody 05-15-2018 5:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PortDawg (Post 1628055)
My Dad was 91st Bomb Group. Yours?

449th based in Italy.

Grey Ghost 05-15-2018 6:33pm

Very cool.

Here is ME109 'white 7' before going down.
https://www.worldwarphotos.info/gall...sseldorf-1940/

You can google FW190 'red 11' and get a couple of hits for it.

tjfontaine 05-15-2018 9:05pm

My Dad was with Patton's 3rd in WWII. He had quite a bit of war memorabilia which I now having including an iron cross still in the box and a Walther P38 taken from a Nazi SS major. He spoke quite a bit of the war and I got into it a lot more when I was in my 30s ... which was good as he passed when I was 35. He vividly described the Battle of the Bulge when the 3rd army was overrun by the Nazis in the forest in the winter. It was so vivid when I saw this scene in Band of Brothers I had a big feeling of deja vu.

I was also fortunate that a guy serving with my Dad is STILL ALIVE !! And sharp - our family got a detailed letter from him describing the whole campaign which was great.

Thanks OP for the pics post more if you find them.

NEED-A-VETTE 05-15-2018 9:11pm

Very cool. :patriot:

StaticCling 05-15-2018 9:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grey Ghost (Post 1628059)
Very cool.

Here is ME109 'white 7' before going down.
https://www.worldwarphotos.info/gall...sseldorf-1940/

You can google FW190 'red 11' and get a couple of hits for it.

WOW!!!

Grey Ghost 05-15-2018 9:58pm

My Uncle was there kicking ass in a tank destroyer unit. His unit arrived just after D-Day. I believe they assisted in breaking up the Battle of the Bulge. Then onto the street fighting in Germany.

https://i.imgur.com/tKWila7.jpg

Lakota 05-16-2018 7:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjfontaine (Post 1628082)
My Dad was with Patton's 3rd in WWII. He had quite a bit of war memorabilia which I now having including an iron cross still in the box and a Walther P38 taken from a Nazi SS major. He spoke quite a bit of the war and I got into it a lot more when I was in my 30s ... which was good as he passed when I was 35. He vividly described the Battle of the Bulge when the 3rd army was overrun by the Nazis in the forest in the winter. It was so vivid when I saw this scene in Band of Brothers I had a big feeling of deja vu.

I was also fortunate that a guy serving with my Dad is STILL ALIVE !! And sharp - our family got a detailed letter from him describing the whole campaign which was great.

Thanks OP for the pics post more if you find them.

The 3rd Army WASN'T surrounded. Elements of the 3rd Army came to the relieve of Bastone, in the Battle of the Bulge. My Dad was in the 3rd Army as an infantryman in the 4th Armored Division and this Division did the mentioned relieve.

Lakota 05-16-2018 7:43am

The picture with the troop behind the anti-aircraft gun, it looks like the barrels are missing from the weapon.

tjfontaine 05-16-2018 3:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakota (Post 1628097)
The 3rd Army WASN'T surrounded. Elements of the 3rd Army came to the relieve of Bastone, in the Battle of the Bulge. My Dad was in the 3rd Army as an infantryman in the 4th Armored Division and this Division did the mentioned relieve.

My Dad's small unit was pulled and reassigned to ??? for a short time ... it is in the description his (still alive) friend wrote about but I don't have that handy ... the unit they were assigned to were dug into foxholes in the snow and were overrun (albeit slowly, they had time to fall back) by the Germans.

VITE1 05-16-2018 6:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakota (Post 1628097)

:iagree:

My Uncles was with the 3rd Army ( 1st Army Division, Big Red one) and this matches what he told me.

Tough fighting to hold on at the Bulge and tough fighting to get to them.