The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   C1 & C2 Corvette Open Discussion (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   "Air" Heater Control on '61 Vette (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63700)

Larry 03-03-2014 11:39am

"Air" Heater Control on '61 Vette

1 Attachment(s)
Greetings. I'm new to "The Vette Barn" and recently purchased a restored '61 Vette (picture attached). SWEET!! Can anyone please tell me what the "Air" knob on the heater control panel does? I have the original owner's manual, but it doesn't say anything at all about that control. I think that it could allow outside air to enter the cabin, but I'm not sure. Thanks for your help. Larry

wwomanC6 03-03-2014 11:48am

Welcome to the Barn, Larry! Congrats on your recent 61 purchase! :hurray:

If it does not mention it in the owners manual, could this be a restore mod?

Larry 03-03-2014 11:53am

Thanks for your quick response. It's an original heater control labeled "Air" and is actually shown in a picture in the original owner's manual, but the instructions for the heater controls don't list anything about what the knob does. The instructions tell what every other heater control knob does except the "Air" knob.

wwomanC6 03-03-2014 12:01pm

Corvette Fresh Air Inlet Cable, With Knob, 1961-1962 - Corvette Parts And Accessories

Does it look like the one in this link. If so it's listed as a fresh air inlet cable with knob and your assumption would be correct.

Larry 03-03-2014 12:17pm

Yes. It's a pull knob like that, although all the heater knobs look the same. You're probably correct that it allows fresh air to enter the cabin. However, I'm not sure if it should be used in conjunction with the "Temp" knob that adds heat, or if opening the "Air" knob defeats the purpose of heater by bringing in cold, unheated air. To be honest, the Vette has unfortunately been in the garage all winter so I haven't had any opportunity to experiment with the heater controls. Can't wait for warmer weather!!!

wwomanC6 03-03-2014 12:29pm

Amen on the warmer weather!!!

Hopefully one of our guys that owns a C1 will be along soon to be able to answer your question. I was unable to find anything online about it yet.

:squirrel: Wendy

Kerrmudgeon 03-03-2014 8:45pm

1 Attachment(s)
Do yourself a favour and pick up an assembly manual and a shop manual. Here's the controls from the ass. manual. One pull is for the door that opens the fresh air under the hood through the "dryer tube", and the other is the temp control, and of course the fan switch in the middle. :cheers:

Lets' see some more pics of your 61!.....I've owned my 62 for 35+ years.
Robbie :D

Larry 03-03-2014 11:28pm

Thanks very much for the help. The car hasn't been out of the car cover or garage all winter and the picture I posted is the only good one I have right now. I'll post more when the weather breaks.

Kerrmudgeon 03-04-2014 7:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry (Post 1135348)
Thanks very much for the help. The car hasn't been out of the car cover or garage all winter and the picture I posted is the only good one I have right now. I'll post more when the weather breaks.

Your welcome Larry. Copy that diagram into your computer fairly soon because I'll have to take it down from tiny pics soon. Any questions on the old cars feel free to PM me. There's not much traffic on this part of the Barn Forum unfortunately (mostly new Vettes around here, and, 'other topic' jockeys) :seasix:
:Sweet90: