The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   What's Cooking? (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   Anyone have any pointers for smoking a brisket??? (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13965)

bryanZ06 05-11-2011 8:32pm

Anyone have any pointers for smoking a brisket???

I've had my Green Egg for a couple of months now, and I feel that I have a pretty good handle on cooking on it. So far I've done ribs, steak, beer can chicken, pizza, deer tenderloin, and brats on it. Sometime in the next couple of weeks I'm wanting to smoke a brisket. The last one that I helped a friend with on his smoker had good flavor and wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. It seems like everyone suggests different things to do to the brisket before you cook it, but what's worked for you guys?

Datawiz 05-11-2011 8:33pm

Paging all VBOT women. :leaving:

RonC5 05-11-2011 8:45pm

Hey... smokin' meat (as in a carcass) is a man thing.

Coat it lightly with a yellow mustard, sprinkle with a dry rub, let it sit overnight. Let it sit out and come to room temp, then smoke using a combo fo apple/hickory wood. Mist with apple juice every 30 minutes or so. Let it rest for 10-15 minutes out of the smoker before you slice it.

bryanZ06 05-11-2011 8:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by datawiz (Post 271598)

:lol: Those aren't the meat smoking tips that I was hoping for.

kingpin 05-11-2011 8:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by datawiz (Post 271598)

They are too busy getting pregnant and keeping the house. :leaving:

Stangkiller 05-11-2011 8:47pm

If only there was a forum for food and cooking

kylebuck 05-11-2011 8:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stangkiller (Post 271611)
If only there was a forum for food and cooking

I thought this was about smoking weed?? :confused5:

Stangkiller 05-11-2011 8:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by joebuck (Post 271612)
I thought this was about smoking weed?? :confused5:

Son that explains a lot about you.

Rotorhead 05-11-2011 8:55pm

I have some insight. A rub of raw sugar, a little cayene, lots of paprika, some garlic powder, mix very well. NO SALT! Innject with Paul Newman vinegrette in many places, trying to place it in the fat layer. Put a layer of oil on that won't smoke (canola) and rub it down heavily with the rub. Cook at 215 -225 for about 12 hours ( it has to be a full brisket, not cut in half at the fat layer). Find a good bbq sauce that is not vinegar based, coat it, then coat it again an hour later (makes a nice bark with the sugar). 12-14 hours cooking time. I have a friend that competes with this method and has done very very well. He uses sraight kingsford charcoal with nothing else. No oak, hickory, or applewood.:drool:

SnowDale 05-11-2011 8:55pm

I'll get a super trimmed piece of brisket from the store. I'll put some olive oil on it, put a nice dry rub on it, make sure that it's room temp, then throw it on the smoker.

I'll smoke it for 12 to 14 hours at about 165* and I'll use a variety of woods. I'll wrap it in foil, and raise the temp to 250*, and when the internal temp is over 190*, I'll take it off. Let it rest a bit, then cut across the grain. I'll take the top cap, and chop it up for sandwiches.

Rotorhead 05-11-2011 9:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnowDale (Post 271618)
I'll get a super trimmed piece of brisket from the store. I'll put some olive oil on it, put a nice dry rub on it, make sure that it's room temp, then throw it on the smoker.

I'll smoke it for 12 to 14 hours at about 165* and I'll use a variety of woods. I'll wrap it in foil, and raise the temp to 250*, and when the internal temp is over 190*, I'll take it off. Let it rest a bit, then cut across the grain. I'll take the top cap, and chop it up for sandwiches.

Cooking that low then raising the temp in foil is a new method to me. Then again. I've only helped my buddt who got grand reserve in KC. Some things he keeps secret from me such as his chicken.

themonk 05-11-2011 9:16pm

Plain or a rusty brisket?

Kerrmudgeon 05-11-2011 9:28pm

I think I'm going to ignore all cooking threads in the wrong place. The creators were good enough to supply a cooking forum for this stuff and it's getting used less and less all the time. It's a shame! :toetap:

Rotorhead 05-11-2011 9:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by themonk (Post 271636)
Plain or a rusty brisket?

What does that mean? I know how to do it with a nice bark, smoke ring, and outstanding results.

John Wiz 05-20-2011 9:55pm

Took me a while to get a decent brisket done on the smoker, and what we like is to marinate it overnight in Guiness. I use a rub consisting of Kosher salt, fresh cracked pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, chili powder and some cayenne pepper. I have an offset smoker and use white oak chunks.

I'll have to see if I can find some pictures of it, but did 20lbs of for work and it was gone in no time.

Cybercowboy 05-29-2011 2:15pm

You have a BGE, which is very similar to my Primo XL as far as cooking goes. I have two ways to make brisket that are pretty much foolproof and quite easy actually.

1. Low and slow. Trim full packer brisket (I almost always do whole briskets but flats are OK too), rinse off and pat dry, and rub about 1/8 cup Worcestershire sauce into the meat. Let that soak in for a few minutes and add a decent amount of dry rub, heavy on the black pepper and paprika, kosher salt, turbonado sugar, granulated garlic, granulated onion, chili powder (I like ground ancho chili with some ground chipotle mixed in), dried mustard, and cayenne. Let this sit on the meat overnight in the fridge, uncovered if possible.

Smoke using whatever favorite wood you like at about 200-225 (I tend towards 225) until the internal temp is 195-200. Put the meat on as the smoker is still coming up to temp to maximize smoke penetration. Take off, wrap in foil, and then towels or just put it back on the smoker with the vents closed off. Rest for at least 2 hours, then slice against the grain and serve with good BBQ sauce.

2. Fast brisket, I'll do the rub the same but before going on the smoker I'll smear some yellow mustard for a protective layer on the outside. Do the brisket the same way as above shoot for 200 at first. After about 2 increase smoker temp to 300 in stages, and cook until internal hits 170-175. Remove, wrap in foil with 1 cup apple juice added, leave probe in, seal, and put back on. When it hits 195 shut off vents and leave brisket in the smoker for at least 2 hours, then remove from foil and slice against grain and serve with BBQ sauce.

C4fan 07-30-2011 10:42am

I don't smoke mine the traditional way I guess but here's mine. I use a full brisket and trim most of the fat (save the fat). Then I cut it into 3 chunks and use Claudes brisket sauce to marinate over night. Each piece will fit in a gallon size baggy with about 3/4 cup of Claudes. Then grab a beer, your favorite kind, and drink it. Follow with additional beers as necessary. The next day I get my smoker ready using charcoal and chunks of Mesquite. Low heat and good smoke, I use a side box smoker/grill. Place the brisket pieces on the farthest end from the fire and let them smoke for about 45 min to 1 hour. Keep smoker temp under 175. While this is doing it's thing I cut up a couple of onions (sliced) and a can of whole pickled jalapenos (quartered longways). After the short smoking time pull the brisket off and bring back to the kitchen. I gather the saved fat, onions, jalapenos, Claudes and spice mix (Garlic powder, Onion powder, Celery powder and pepper). Take HD tin foil and splice 2 sheets together by folding the edges together in sever small folds, this makes a large piece of foil. Place a few pieces of fat, a hand full of onion and jalapenos on the foil. Place a chunk of brisket on the veggies and heavily coat with the spice mix. Put another handful of onions and jalapenos on top and more fat. Then pour in 1/4 to 1/2 cup of Claudes. Fold the foil over and seal as tight as possible and wrap again with another layer of foil. Then I place back on the fire, this time on the hot end directly over where the heat comes into the pit. You should have 3 of these and I rotate them every 1/2 hr flipping them and rotating them so that each takes turn right at the hot end (my pit is small enough that all 3 won't fit next to the fire box). I cook them for about 4 hrs this way. If you want a real treat save the juices when you open the foil and make a gravy using corn starch. It's a little spicy but has a great flavor. I also save the jalapenos and onions but again they are spicy hot but go great on a tortilla with brisket. I cut mine cross grain.

c6vetteinhouston 08-04-2011 3:47pm

I smoke briskets often. What I have learned and have done a lot of research and tests. I have great coffee wet rub. I trim the fat cap to just about 1/4 inch think. Then, cross cut the fat cap like a checker board squares. I rub the coffee wet rub all over the brisket on both sides. Wrap and place in the fridge over night. I take it out the next morning about an hour before I smoke. Once the grill is ready, I take the brisket out of the wrap, throw on the grill, in direct heating of course, and close the lid. After about an hour, I mop it with a mixture of beef stock, about 1/4 cup of Wishishere (sp) sauce, 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar, 1/2 cup of brown sugar. I mop every 45 minutes. After smoking for about 4 hours, I take it off the grill, wrap it in aluminum foil and pour in about 1/2 cup of the mop sauce, seal the foil then and cook in the oven at 350 degrees until done. To me, done is when I can take a tooth pick and slide it in the thickest part of the brisket and it slides in easy and come out easy with a very very light tug on the toothpick as I am slowly removing it.

Bucwheat 08-10-2011 4:33pm

Used to have a buddy in the military that could do a killer brisket,wish I knew the secret