The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Almost met my maker last night (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120261)

SnikPlosskin 09-13-2019 6:46pm

Almost met my maker last night

WTF.

I started having some abdominal pain last night around 4pm. Got up, figured I just was hungry and had some dinner - nothing heavy - just whitefish and rice. The pain got worse.

By 9pm I knew I needed to get to a hospital. From there things went downhill quickly. The pain reached a level I can only compare to the day after getting shot.

Apparently my blood pressure dropped and my O2 levels read 77 at one point and I kept passing out. One time (I heard later) I went out and lights started flashing and buzzers going off - next thing I know, there are five people picking me up in the sheet and everyone seemed like they were in a hurry. I stopped breathing for a few.

They gave me a shot of morphine and nothing. Steriods, fluids. Then two shots of hydromorphone (synthetic morphine) and I could finally see straight and stop writhing in pain.

Had a CAT scan - nothing. My Crohn's is flaring like a mother and they guess that my immune system went after a pocket of nerve endings. The thing is, in 14 years, this has never happened.

Scared the living shit out of me and the wife. Thankfully the kid stayed home.

I've got about 2-6 months to go for remission. (about 3-4 infusions). This shit is serious. I hope that was a one time thing.

Today I'm fine. Tired as hell. Giant WTF.

Dan Dlabay 09-13-2019 7:21pm

Glad things are ok now. Will keep you in our prayers.:angel:

JRD77VET 09-13-2019 7:23pm

Good to hear you're still here :angel:

More prayers for your recovery Pete

snide 09-13-2019 8:47pm

Glad to hear you're still with us Pete! :eek: :cheers:

Loco Vette 09-13-2019 8:50pm

Jeebus Pete! Glad you're still kicking!

Rob 09-13-2019 8:52pm

Will say some prayers for you Pete.

SnikPlosskin 09-13-2019 9:04pm

Man it’s crazy. Like I said never anything like that. And they have no idea why 8 stopped breathing. I picked a bad time to stop sniffing glue.

Bill 09-13-2019 9:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnikPlosskin (Post 1683453)
Man it’s crazy. Like I said never anything like that. And they have no idea why 8 stopped breathing. I picked a bad time to stop sniffing glue.

:rofl:

The whole episode sounds really scary.....glad you made it.

SnikPlosskin 09-13-2019 10:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_daniels (Post 1683458)
:rofl:

The whole episode sounds really scary.....glad you made it.

Hate to admit it, but it scared the piss out of me. Poor Heidi. She kept rousing me because the ER was understaffed. She says I’d be looking at her and my eyes would go blank, then roll up in my head. I was shaking and sweating but no fever.

She would shake me awake then run out to find someone. Apparently when a particular alarm goes off (the not breathing one I’m guessing) everybody comes.

I’d be out for ten seconds and then be looking at her again not knowing who she was or where I was for about three seconds. Then writhing. I had to stick my tongue out so I didn’t bite down and break my teeth. I looked like an idiot.

This went on for hours. In and out, in and out. Everything beeping. Then, around 2am, they said “here is another dose of hydro, go home.”

It’s only been a day or two so I’m kind of paranoid.

But honestly, this is part of the disease. It’s getting more advanced now. I’ve heard of it happening but figured people were pussies and exaggerating.

My GI says the next ten years are going to be rough statistically. He also said once you get through that, people tend to go into long term remission for unknown reasons. But during that time, lots of this sort of crap - surgeries, brushes with death, infections, procedures, biopsies, on and on.

Could be worse. Could be raining.

Lakeside49 09-13-2019 10:30pm

Pete - sounds scary for you, as well as your family. Healing prayer requests will be said for U personally while facing alter crucifix at 4:30 Mass tomorrow.
Dave

Olustee bus 09-14-2019 4:10am

Pete, you are in my prayers. this Morning.

Millenium Vette 09-14-2019 11:41am

Wow, so sorry about your latest ordeal. You are in my prayers.

:cert:

04 commemorative 09-14-2019 3:46pm

Prayers for you ....stay with us :syf:

SnikPlosskin 09-14-2019 9:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 04 commemorative (Post 1683493)
Prayers for you ....stay with us :syf:

I intend to. I actually don’t think it was that serious. I think I passed out and then had an apnea type deal. I don’t think I just stopped breathing. I do remember having to concentrate on breathing because I would hold my breath.

78SA 09-14-2019 10:06pm

Glad you stuck around. :cert:

Hardluck 09-15-2019 11:58am

:sadangel:

Lakeside49 09-18-2019 11:25pm

Are you feeling back up to par?

SnikPlosskin 09-19-2019 8:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakeside49 (Post 1683875)
Are you feeling back up to par?

Yes. I think so. Today I’m a little shaky. Not sure why. Mega show tomorrow with big band will require about 12 hours on site at ACL theatre. I’ve been going non stop getting the band in shape with late night rehearsal, then vocal rehearsal, work, no sleep from steroids. I’m hoping to catch a nap between sound check and the show in the green room.

I think the issue is twofold.

1. My illness is flaring like a mother and I’m just going off some steroids
2. I’m at the low range of iron, hemoglobin but not low enough for insurance to pay for iron infusions. So anemia.

Put those two things together and it makes sense. I’m going to get all my shit together for the show (my wife is out so I have to iron stuff! So wrong!) and then sleep today.

But I’m fine. Just a bump in the road to getting well again! Thanks for asking.

snide 09-19-2019 9:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnikPlosskin (Post 1683899)
2. I’m at the low range of iron, hemoglobin but not low enough for insurance to pay for iron infusions. So anemia.

Seeing as how you live in Austin, you're probably a fruitcake vegetarian. Eat a damn steak, to bring your iron up.

:cheers: