The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   The Kids Don't Have a Prayer (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125973)

Giraffe (He/Him) 06-07-2021 4:14pm

The Kids Don't Have a Prayer

Quote:

The New York Times
A Federal College Loan Program Can Trap Parents in Debt
Quote:

Kate Schweizer and her husband didn’t want their two daughters, just 13 months apart, to begin their adult lives saddled with college debt, so they borrowed much of the money themselves. Beginning in 2005, the couple took out a new batch of federal loans each academic year, eventually accumulating about $220,000 in debt.

Today, they owe half a million dollars.

“Even though the cost of tuition seemed insane, I convinced myself that it would all make sense and pay off in the end,” Schweizer, 65, said. “I had hoped that since my husband had a solid, union job, we would — we should — be able to afford this.”
If the parents are THIS ****ing stupid the kids are doomed.

mrvette 06-07-2021 4:21pm

MY only complaint is what the kids studied.....worth knowing??

Hard Science, Engineering, Business/law/fin/econ/mktg is the only shit worth studying in college......ALL the rest is hobby material......

AND no matter with that, if the debt is in the folks name, and can't be assigned to the kids.....Time to go BK and duck out.....especially if it's crap degrees....

then the kids do the same.....

dvarapala 06-07-2021 5:41pm

College costs are insane these days. When I went to college tuition and housing were reasonable and my dad could just write a check for all those costs - no loans needed. These days it almost doesn't matter what subject you study - you're so far in the hole by the time you graduate that you might never be able to pay off your student loan debt. :willy:

Datawiz 06-07-2021 5:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvarapala (Post 1887049)
College costs are insane these days. When I went to college tuition and housing were reasonable and my dad could just write a check for all those costs - no loans needed. These days it almost doesn't matter what subject you study - you're so far in the hole by the time you graduate that you might never be able to pay off your student loan debt. :willy:

GWiz was nearly a quarter million for 4.5 years at GT since we were out of state, and make too much money for financial aid. We were very fortunate, between the non-academic scholarships she hustled, the money we had previously set aside, and our ability to simply pay, we never borrowed a penny, and her schooling was paid for while she had 3 semesters left.

Now that that's done, you "might" understand why I don't mind spending $2,000 on a bottle of scotch. :rofl:

69camfrk 06-07-2021 6:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by datawiz (Post 1887052)
GWiz was nearly a quarter million for 4.5 years at GT since we were out of state, and make too much money for financial aid. We were very fortunate, between the non-academic scholarships she hustled, the money we had previously set aside, and our ability to simply pay, we never borrowed a penny, and her schooling was paid for while she had 3 semesters left.

Now that that's done, you "might" understand why I don't mind spending $2,000 on a bottle of scotch. :rofl:

I'm thinking GWiz might owe ya a bottle. Just don't let her get away with Cutty Sark or something.:D

Slo Yelo C5 06-07-2021 6:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvarapala (Post 1887049)

While insane (and I squarely blame government "help" for that), it's still semi affordable if you go to a public school.

All the PA public schools (Penn State, Temple, Pitt, and the state schools--West Chester U, Bloomsburg U., etc) are about $15k per year (tuition). Not cheap, but not "completely outrageous", IMO. Especially if you live with your parents so no room/board and meal expenses.

$60k for a useful degree? Not bad. Work even part time for 4 years and I bet you can pay down $30-$40k before you even graduate ($20-$30k total debt). Work full time summers and part time school year (like I did), graduate with ZERO debt (like I did).

It was not easy. But graduating with ZERO debt and a degree and some cash in the bank worked for me.

It doesn't take a genius to execute this plan. Just a student with strong work ethic.

BOTY 06-07-2021 6:40pm

:leaving:

Grey Ghost 06-07-2021 8:04pm

My friend that was only making about $40k a year a couple of decades ago had a son that just blew the IQ test and others off the chart. They didn't realize it until his grades started dropping and he was tested. He was just bored with the simple education system. Friends wife was talented with getting grants, scholarships, etc...The son went on to a top private school and then to Yale. My friend was very humble, and they just didn't make the $$$ for all that. His wife worked hard to find ways to help pay for it all. All the bills got paid and they raised 3 kids on a meager one income household.

Dan Dlabay 06-07-2021 8:21pm

I was lucky. The company I worked for paid my tuition and books as long as I got good grades and it was job related. I first went to a 2 year college Sinclair and got a Associate degree in Quality Engineering then I able to transfer 106 credit hours over to the University of Dayton for a Bachelor degree in Manufacturing engineering. Courses that weren't job related but was needed for the degree was also paid for by my company. So all college cost be was for parking.:cert:

Mick 06-08-2021 4:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slo Yelo C5 (Post 1887060)
While insane (and I squarely blame government "help" for that), it's still semi affordable if you go to a public school.

All the PA public schools (Penn State, Temple, Pitt, and the state schools--West Chester U, Bloomsburg U., etc) are about $15k per year (tuition). Not cheap, but not "completely outrageous", IMO. Especially if you live with your parents so no room/board and meal expenses.

$60k for a useful degree? Not bad. Work even part time for 4 years and I bet you can pay down $30-$40k before you even graduate ($20-$30k total debt). Work full time summers and part time school year (like I did), graduate with ZERO debt (like I did).

It was not easy. But graduating with ZERO debt and a degree and some cash in the bank worked for me.

It doesn't take a genius to execute this plan. Just a student with strong work ethic.

:iagree:

I am so tired of hearing story after story of people who made horrible financial decisions, and are DESPERATE to blame someone else. Here in NJ, an in-state resident can go to two years of community college, and two years of Rutgers University, a very highly respected school for Engineering, and if you pay STICKER PRICE, it will still be about $50,000 TOTAL. Get that Engineering degree in Mechanical Engineering, and the average starting salary is just shy of $60,000 per year! If you can show you have ANY kind of financial hardship, or significant academic achievement, you will pay WELL LESS than sticker price.

Every one of these stories is about someone who let their kids "follow their dream", when they should have known that they, and their kid, couldn't afford "the dream".

Then, they want the taxpayer to bail them out because they made a bad decision. What a crock of shit! So all the taxpayers that decided not to go to college, learned a marketable skill, and make good money now have to pitch in to bail these idiots out? All the folks like me who paid full price (which means I already paid for about 6 kids who aren't mine to go to school on "scholarship") have to chip in again for those who were just foolish? If so, where does it end? I've made mistakes trading stocks, and lost money. Should the taxpayers who don't have any money to invest, AND those who invested wisely, be required to bail me out? What about folks who are irresponsible with credit card debt? Should all those who manage their credit competently be required to bail them out?

VITE1 06-08-2021 6:47pm

The best way to fix this is to stop the government from loaning money directly to the students. Loan it too the schools as irrevocable loans and require them to loan the money to the students as unsecured personal loans.

Watch cost go down, quality go up and indoctrination diminish.

04 commemorative 06-08-2021 6:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by datawiz (Post 1887052)

And you deserve it man :seasix: