The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   The warmer weather idiots are here. (Pedal bikes) (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97403)

6spdC6 05-14-2016 8:50am

The warmer weather idiots are here. (Pedal bikes)

Time about 8am today, on my way to the general store to get my morning papers, a distance of about 5 miles on a twisty up and down back road. That kind of road is normal up here as it goes all the way around the large lake I live on. I was driving my large 4x4 pickup!

Get my papers and coming home and I run into a bunch of those Lance Armstrong want-a-bees complete with spandex and the upside down bed pan type helmet they use.

Group was about 10. Most of the group was ok riding in single file on the side of the road like they should be doing. Got up to the leader right after a serious curve and there were two of the SOBs riding side by side with the one on the left almost to the center line. As there was oncoming traffic I had to hit my brakes hard and the asshole riding way out made no move to get to the single file he should have been doing and if fact gave me a finger salute.

WRONG MOVE, when I got the chance to pass I got his attention real good. He then rather fast went to where he belonged. I so wish at that moment I had a diesel PU with a super chip so I could have blasted his arrogant ass with a bunch of heavy black smoke.

This is a great start to the warm weather.:mad:

dvarapala 05-14-2016 8:57am

In. :waiting:

OddBall 05-14-2016 9:34am

Video to make you feel better.

My mostist, favoritist hero.

:cert:

6spdC6 05-14-2016 10:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by OddBall (Post 1473709)
Video to make you feel better.

My mostist, favoritist hero.

Cummins vs Bicycles - YouTube

:cert:

Thanks I would only use that on someone that was really in the wrong! Of course up here in the boonies there are a lot of pedal bikers that think they own the road. Stop signs and yield means nothing to them also. They come up from the city park their "cage" and go forth and terrorize!

Bill 05-14-2016 10:24am

This thread is Red approved.

:thumbs:

Truck Guy 05-14-2016 10:39am

Rolling coal! :lol:

CertInsaneC5 05-14-2016 11:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_daniels (Post 1473719)
This thread is Red approved.

:thumbs:

Not yet. But it has potential. :Jeff '79:

:waiting:

Barn Babe 05-14-2016 12:42pm

Just this morning on a 60mph 2-lane road, a group of no less than 50 just sitting on their bikes - in the lane of traffic! :banghead:

Wathen1955 05-14-2016 12:59pm

I use a dash cam where I live, as I'm close to a college. Going home from work, I almost hit one as he went through a 4 way stop. Without a dash cam, it would have been my fault I bet.

TripleBlack 05-14-2016 1:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waco (Post 1473754)
The ones that follow the rules are fine...unfortunately we all run into the assholes and remember them far more easily.

Bingo! There is a huge lack of consideration shown by people in general.

GRN ENVY 05-14-2016 4:18pm

As a bicyclists I recognize that I'm slower traffic and I keep right in my lane. The law states I must follow the same rules as a motor vehicle. It also says that other motorist must view me as another motor vehicle. (Yield to pedestrians, stop at red light etc.) How ever, on multiple occasions even if I stay closest to the right side of the road, there is always some ass hole who has to get his mirrors as close as possible to my head, there is even the azz hat who is not paying attention and nearly clips me.

If we are riding in groups, we do ride two wide, it's not to piss you off. It's to prevent being hit. It's to be seen.

Unfortunately it is always our fault that people cant take 5 seconds to check their mirror and surroundings and then pass when it's safe for everyone.

I'll keep obeying the law and hopefully I won't get ran over.

JRD77VET 05-14-2016 9:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by GRN ENVY (Post 1473788)
As a bicyclists I recognize that I'm slower traffic and I keep right in my lane. The law states I must follow the same rules as a motor vehicle. It also says that other motorist must view me as another motor vehicle. (Yield to pedestrians, stop at red light etc.) How ever, on multiple occasions even if I stay closest to the right side of the road, there is always some ass hole who has to get his mirrors as close as possible to my head, there is even the azz hat who is not paying attention and nearly clips me.

If we are riding in groups, we do ride two wide, it's not to piss you off. It's to prevent being hit. It's to be seen.

Unfortunately it is always our fault that people cant take 5 seconds to check their mirror and surroundings and then pass when it's safe for everyone.

Riding two wide leaves less room to pass safely. All you're doing is creating a greater chance of an accident happening.

Iron Chef 05-14-2016 9:42pm

Every single one of the riders in that video were riding safely and single file and along comes some toothless idiot who thinks it's funny to carpet bomb them with exhaust from his POS work truck. I guarantee that if one of those riders had been blinded to the point where he went off the edge it would't have been so funny.

Then again...stupidity like that is probably why Mr. Deliverance probably works for one of the guys out riding their bikes and enjoying a day in the mountains as opposed to being one of them.

GRN ENVY 05-14-2016 9:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRD77VET (Post 1473910)
Riding two wide leaves less room to pass safely. All you're doing is creating a greater chance of an accident happening.

If you cant pass safely, you shouldn't pass at all. Again, waiting a few moments would most likely allow a safe time to pass.

I ride at an average pace of 25mph to 30 mph. What most two lane speed limits are.

And to clarify, those cyclists should be riding tandem, just as motorcyclists have to per laws.

6spdC6 05-15-2016 8:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by GRN ENVY (Post 1473788)

If we are riding in groups, we do ride two wide
, it's not to piss you off. It's to prevent being hit. It's to be seen.

Illegal here! Of course it seems that many traffic laws are ignored by many of the bikers on a regular bases. I live on the lake and I sure can write a book about things I have seen up here with all classes of people movers!

JRD77VET 05-15-2016 6:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by GRN ENVY (Post 1473918)
If you cant pass safely, you shouldn't pass at all. Again, waiting a few moments would most likely allow a safe time to pass.

I ride at an average pace of 25mph to 30 mph. What most two lane speed limits are.

And to clarify, those cyclists should be riding tandem, just as motorcyclists have to per laws.

You may be able to keep the pace in the flat lands of FL but it's a different story here in PA.

I hope you are the considerate bike rider you present yourself to be. I'm pretty damn tired of the bike riders around here that are yelling about "share the road" and then run stop signs, red lights and ride in the middle of the road when the side / edge is smooth.

Barn Babe 05-15-2016 6:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRD77VET (Post 1474194)
You may be able to keep the pace in the flat lands of FL but it's a different story here in PA.

I hope you are the considerate bike rider you present yourself to be. I'm pretty damn tired of the bike riders around here that are yelling about "share the road" and then run stop signs, red lights and ride in the middle of the road when the side / edge is smooth.

:iagree:

A girl I work with got a ticket for running a red light on her bike. She was furious, I was :lol:

lspencer534 05-15-2016 6:46pm

Quote:

Just to clarify (and not argue) most City two lane roads are 35 mph limit.

erickpl 05-16-2016 9:45am

Quote:

About the only time I'm towards the middle of the lane is riding in a group going around curves designated as a no passing zone. On more than one occasion, I've ridden single file down a road into a blind curve and had a car try to pass me only to see a vehicle coming towards him/us. Guess which way he swerved to avoid it? Yep, in my direction. Fortunately, I saw what he was doing, already saw the car coming and had slowed down knowing he'd come back towards the shoulder.

Most riders I know do not try to be jerks on the bike. I know a few that probably shouldn't be allowed on anything other than a merry-go-round, but the ones I ride with regularly all follow the rules and WILL take up the lane on blind curves to avoid dangerous passing situations.

Our town had a bike ride held by the mayor on Saturday. On the way to it, a group of cyclists passed my wife and me as we were about to pedal to the starting point. They ran a stop light - with a COP behind them. He lit them up and gave em tickets - as he should have.

As we rode past, we said, "Remember, traffic rules apply to us too", laughed and kept on riding (the light was green for us).

Please do not assume that cyclists are just trying to piss you off. I used to hate cyclists too, then became one. Once you're out there on a bike, some of the things cyclist do start to make sense. We have families we want to get home to as well, but also choose to engage in an activity to stay healthy, as long as people aren't hitting us or rolling coal on us.

There is enough in life to stress about without having to wait a few seconds to be able to get around a cyclist (or a group of them).

And before you say it, yes I will roll a stop light or a stop sign - but ONLY if there are NO cars anywhere near or approaching. If I can see another motorized vehicle, I will stop.