The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Pool Cage Reconditioning (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124624)

Datawiz 01-14-2021 4:33pm

Pool Cage Reconditioning

4 Attachment(s)
Pool cage is 30 years old this year and basically looked like shit. All hardware rusted, all paint thin and faded...or even gone.

So far I've done all vertical sections, all bottom framework is new with stainless steel hardware, all existing metal was sanded and painted. Using 120+ cans of Duplicolor Toyota White paint...absolute perfect match for new metal that I don't have to paint.

Both door structures have been completely rebuilt (New wall frame, and both 2x2's on each side of the door, up to the roof, along with the horizontal braces have been replaced.

I've installed a bunch of the vertical screens, but have a bunch more to do.

Now that I figured out how to reach the roof, I can bring this project to completion. Will be removing all of those rusted self tappers in the roof, sanding and painting all cross members, and when I'm done I'll finish all vertical panels. I have all brand new (6) of the cable tie downs to anchor the cage to the foundation. Doing those last.

We will have a screen company come and replace all of the roof panels when I'm done.

Total expense to date (including the screening company for the roof) is just shy of $4,000. A brand new cage was between $22-25k. :willy:

dvarapala 01-14-2021 4:37pm

I've had 3 houses with pools. None of them had cages, yet somehow my pool never managed to escape... :leaving:

Datawiz 01-14-2021 4:38pm

1 Attachment(s)
outside view. Still missing some screens.

Murray 01-14-2021 4:59pm

Could have had glass if you didn’t give all your money away :hide:

Datawiz 01-14-2021 5:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murray (Post 1844855)
Could have had glass if you didn’t give all your money away :hide:

What fun would that be? :cert:

04 commemorative 01-14-2021 5:18pm

Yikes....good job and great savings :seasix:

snide 01-14-2021 7:27pm

Looks great, Craig.

Oh, and ICNLT. :D

:cheers:

ZipZap 01-14-2021 7:31pm

Yeah, bugs. NFW.

DAB 01-14-2021 7:39pm

yeah....well, we have a pond (rubber liner, covered with dirt and rocks in most places), but it's currently dry, as in no water. but when it does have water, i put some gold fish in!

Rodnok1 01-14-2021 7:55pm

Boy that's alot of paint to huff man....

Datawiz 01-14-2021 7:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodnok1 (Post 1844927)
Boy that's alot of paint to huff man....

:rofl:

Just picked up another 48 cans today. Geeze, you'd expect them to give me a discount on 120+ cans of paint. $1,500 in paint alone.

Gotta go buy a Ryobi cordless angle grinder tomorrow. Several of the underside roof screws can't be backed out, so I'll have to grind them out and drill out the guts. I did this on the rest of the cage with a plugged grinder, but I don't want cords over the water.

markids77 01-14-2021 8:12pm

Isn't a pool cage called a lanai?

Datawiz 01-14-2021 8:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by markids77 (Post 1844942)
Isn't a pool cage called a lanai?

Lanai is only the portion under the roof. ;)

Most, if not all homes in the community have Lanai's, which is just a concrete pad under the roof with the aluminum framing and screen to close it in. When you have a pool, the slab is extended and the pool cage is erected to enclose it as part of the entire structure.

Bill 01-15-2021 12:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvarapala (Post 1844848)
I've had 3 houses with pools. None of them had cages, yet somehow my pool never managed to escape... :leaving:

They probably had Stockholm syndrome.

:dance:

Bill 01-15-2021 12:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by datawiz (Post 1844931)
:rofl:

Just picked up another 48 cans today. Geeze, you'd expect them to give me a discount on 120+ cans of paint. $1,500 in paint alone.

Gotta go buy a Ryobi cordless angle grinder tomorrow. Several of the underside roof screws can't be backed out, so I'll have to grind them out and drill out the guts. I did this on the rest of the cage with a plugged grinder, but I don't want cords over the water.

Did you try an ease out?

mrvette 01-15-2021 6:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by datawiz (Post 1844946)
Lanai is only the portion under the roof. ;)

Most, if not all homes in the community have Lanai's, which is just a concrete pad under the roof with the aluminum framing and screen to close it in. When you have a pool, the slab is extended and the pool cage is erected to enclose it as part of the entire structure.

I think the term for the glass room I have is 'Atrium'......kitchen has sliding glass door/nothing unusual there, thermal glass....and outside was a concrete slab nothing unusual.....but I had a job assisting a fellow on taking this atrium off another house, I told him I wanted all the parts to it, in payment....so we went to work, and so I enlarged the slab, leveled it off put the atrium on it, and tiled the floor....about 8 sliding glass windows, two sliding doors screens, glass roof, and glass curved over the far end....aluminum framing.....we cover the glass ceiling in summer/just too much sun heat otherwise....white corrugated plastic sheets held down by 8 2x4x8' boards....

VITE1 01-15-2021 8:14am

Wow. Great work. You could have waited for a hurricane and then pulled the thing down and have insurance pay for it.

But that would be wrong :):D

Datawiz 01-15-2021 9:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_daniels (Post 1845035)
Did you try an ease out?

The bolt heads are literally half gone in some instances. Nothing to grab onto.

Datawiz 01-15-2021 9:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by VITE1 (Post 1845078)
Wow. Great work. You could have waited for a hurricane and then pulled the thing down and have insurance pay for it.

But that would be wrong :):D

We intentionally have our pool cage excluded on our policy to save money.

DJ_Critterus 01-15-2021 9:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by datawiz (Post 1844850)
outside view. Still missing some screens.

I want to know how many times you are going to fall into the pool.