The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   What's Cooking? (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   Any CHEESECAKE recipes or tips? (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88584)

Kerrmudgeon 09-21-2015 6:52pm

Any CHEESECAKE recipes or tips?

I haven't made one in years, but I'm looking for the mile high Montreal style, (same as NYC style) scratch recipe.

OR

Tips when baking one to avoid those cracks in the top?

LilRedCorvette 12-07-2016 10:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kerrmudgeon (Post 1404698)
Tips when baking one to avoid those cracks in the top?

The cause of the cracks is over-beating the batter...too much air gets whipped in, and when it bakes, it has to escape somehow, so it escapes out the top, thus creating those unsightly cracks.

The way to ameliorate this is to make certain the ingredients (esp the cheese) are room temperature so that less beating is required to combine all the ingredients without lumps. :seasix:

Less beating = less air whipped into the batter = less cracking :yesnod:

thefatguy 12-12-2016 7:45pm

also, try putting the container you bake in,
into a separate pan of water ( like "hot water cornbread"...)

this helps with 2 things--it controls localized
'hot spots' , and also adds moisture into the hot
air in the oven. dry things tend to crack more
than moist things...

personally i love me a nasty 'no bake'
chocolate/coconut cheesecake.
super fast and easy to make, and they disappear
very quickly once put out.

2 premade chocolate crumb crust pie shell
(like keebler oreo crust or similar), baked for 10 minutes
to set the shell.

2 blocks neufschatel cheese room temp.
( just like cream cheese but 1/2 the fat
& calories, cant taste difference.)

1 tub coolwhip

1 can thailady (or whatever brand you like)
frozen coconut milk, thawed

1/2 cup hersheys or similar chocolate syrup.

mix all ingredients together till smooth, if its
not sweet enough for you gradually add sugar
1 teaspoon at a time--however, i like it as is.

divide evenly between the 2 pre-prepped pie shells.
garnish with shredded baking coconut, chocolate chips,
whatever... maybe even sub the coconut milk for
peanut butter to make a "reese's" pie....

chuck em in the freezer for at least 3 hours, or
overnight in the fridge.

set em out and watch them get hoovered.

prep time maybe 15-20 minutes, plus chilling time.
they taste great, at least to me. havent had
any complaints from the peanut gallery either...

Kerrmudgeon 12-14-2016 3:03pm

2 Attachment(s)
My scratch made came out perfect, and supposedly the cracking is because of too fast cooling. I opened the oven door for 20 minutes at the end to slow down the cooling and had no cracks in the top. Topped it with some apricot preserves and it was soooooooo good! :yum: :sneaks:

GentleBen 01-12-2017 8:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kerrmudgeon (Post 1524597)
My scratch made came out perfect, and supposedly the cracking is because of too fast cooling. I opened the oven door for 20 minutes at the end to slow down the cooling and had no cracks in the top. Topped it with some apricot preserves and it was soooooooo good! :yum: :sneaks:

It will also taste exceptional if you pour on a shot of Amaretto instead of the apricot preserves.

Kerrmudgeon 01-13-2017 8:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by GentleBen (Post 1532114)
It will also taste exceptional if you pour on a shot of Amaretto instead of the apricot preserves.

At my restaurant we used to top them with toasted sliced almonds and a shot of Amaretto DiSaronno....:yum:

paulet 06-15-2017 6:08am

Oh jeez, how did you manage to make such a perfect cheesecake?! Mine is a real disaster in comparison

Kerrmudgeon 06-18-2017 3:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulet (Post 1565577)
Oh jeez, how did you manage to make such a perfect cheesecake?! Mine is a real disaster in comparison

I don't bake very often but I just followed the recipe on this one. It's very specific on how to cool the cake etc. Plus, I've found that most ovens are off on the temps indicated. Buy an oven thermometer for 8 or 10 bucks to be sure. :cheers:

erickpl 12-13-2017 3:31pm

1 Attachment(s)
I'm late to this party, but I'm hungry. LOL

My wife did one over Thanksgiving and it came out perfect. She cooked it in a water bath around the cheesecake. Once done cooking, she let it sit in it for a bit as it started cooling, then we transferred it to a cat-free room to cool for the night before putting it in the fridge. It came out absolutely perfect. I can post the recipe if you're interested.

American Times | New York Cheesecake

Ingredients:

5 large eggs, room temperature
2 cups (one pint) sour cream, room temperature
4 8-ounce packages cream cheese, room temperature
8 tablespoons (one stick) unsalted butter, room temperature

1 1/2 cups sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest

Directions:

Generously butter the inside of a 10-inch springform pan. Wrap a double layer of heavy-duty aluminum foil tightly around the outside bottom and sides, crimping and pleating the foil to make it conform to the pan. This will help to prevent water seeping into the pan when you put it into the bain-marie. Position the baking rack in the center of the oven; preheat the oven to 300* Fahrenheit.

In a large mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the eggs with the sour cream until well blended.

In a medium-sized bowl, beat the cream cheese with the butter until smooth and creamy. Add this to the egg-sour cream mixture and beat until smooth.
Add the sugar, cornstarch, vanilla, lemon juice and lemon zest and beat thoroughly, about 2 minutes.

Pour into the prepared spring-form pan and place in a roasting pan (or other pan) large enough to prevent the sides from touching. Place in the oven and carefully pour in enough very hot tap water to reach halfway up the sides of the spring-form pan.

Bake for 2 hours, 15 minutes, or until the cake is very lightly colored and a knife inserted in the center emerges clean. Remove from the water bath and carefully peel the aluminum foil from around the pan. Let stand at room temperature until completely cool, about 4 hours. Refrigerate, covered, until well chilled. For best flavor and texture, this cheesecake is best chilled overnight.

**My Notes: I can’t stress enough how important it is to let those first 4 ingredients in this recipe come to room temperature. I’ve hurried the cream cheese and have had unsightly lumps of it in my batter.

**I’ve italicized the mixing instructions to emphasize blending the ingredients to achieve the desired texture.

** Have a platter or other large dish that will hold the hot and drippy springform pan after you remove it from the bain-marie. When you remove the bain-marie from the oven, the water is very hot, so please exercise extreme caution.

Before removing the roasting pan, have a plan on where you are going to set it so you are not holding the pan, desperately searching for a clear space to set it down. I find it impossible to remove the cheesecake from the bain-marie while it is in the oven, so I remove the entire set-up from the oven. I make every effort not to burn my wrists or the back of my hands while removing the springform pan; I haven’t been burned yet, but I have soaked the edges of the potholders in the hot water, and it’s amazing how fast that steaming water is wicked up to my tender fingers!

**When you first remove the cheesecake from the oven, it looks light and puffy, and there may be some hairline cracks in the top. Do not despair. As the cheesecake cools, it will gently deflate and the hairline cracks disappear.