The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   What's Cooking? (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   Thin crust pizza!! (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20956)

TabuIsMe 08-27-2011 7:07pm

Thin crust pizza!!

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/3...to08271829.jpg

http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/9...o082719281.jpg

Mrs. Colleen 08-27-2011 10:42pm

Just saw your post right before we made up this...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47...l/P1000245.jpg

In the oven now. :dance:

TabuIsMe 08-27-2011 10:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs. Colleen (Post 404081)
Just saw your post right before we made up this...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47...l/P1000245.jpg

In the oven now. :dance:

Looks good! we have no left overs :D

Mrs. Colleen 08-27-2011 11:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by TabuIsMe (Post 404086)
Looks good! we have no left overs :D

Us either. :dance:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47...l/P1000248.jpg

I cheated this time and bought dough from Trader Joe's but we like to split the pack in two and make two super thin crust pizzas...which means we still have another crust that we can make tonight. :dance:

TabuIsMe 08-27-2011 11:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs. Colleen (Post 404094)
Us either. :dance:

I cheated this time and bought dough from Trader Joe's but we like to split the pack in two and make two super thin crust pizzas...which means we still have another crust that we can make tonight. :dance:

Buying dough is not cheating! not in my book :D:D
I also make two pies out of one pack.
Perfect hurricane munchies

kingpin 08-28-2011 1:29pm

mmmmm olives.
We would eat well together. :D

Mrs. Colleen 08-28-2011 3:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by TabuIsMe (Post 404097)
Buying dough is not cheating! not in my book :D:D
I also make two pies out of one pack.
Perfect hurricane munchies

Well maybe not cheating...but I do enjoy making my own crusts. :cheers:

Sea Six 08-28-2011 3:18pm

That pizza looks really good Tabu'

TabuIsMe 08-28-2011 3:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs. Colleen (Post 404591)
Well maybe not cheating...but I do enjoy making my own crusts. :cheers:

If i could make my own crust, i would, so second best is to buy dough :cheers:
I need to ask my aunt for some recipes.. she makes some unbelievable bread.

Mrs. Colleen 08-28-2011 4:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by TabuIsMe (Post 404639)
If i could make my own crust, i would, so second best is to buy dough :cheers:
I need to ask my aunt for some recipes.. she makes some unbelievable bread.

The recipe I use is super simple...

Quote:

1 package active dry yeast (about 2 ¼ tsp)
1 cup warm water (100-110*)
1 ¼ cups cold water
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
26.1 oz (about 5 ½ cups) unbleached bread flour, divided
Cooking spray

Dissolve yeast in 1 cup warm water in a small bowl; let stand 5 min. Combine 1 ¼ cups cold water, oil, sugar, and salt in a small bowl; stir with whisk.
Combine 24.9 oz (or 5 ¼ cups) flour, yeast mix, and cold water mix into bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook. Mix on low 8 min or until dough forms. (or mix with hands) Let rest 2 min; mix on low 6 min or until dough is smooth. Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 2 min); add enough of the remaining 1.19 oz (or ¼ cup) flour, 1 tbsp at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands.
Divide dough in half, and place each portion in a large zip-top bad coated with cooking spray. Seal and chill overnight or up to 2 days. Let stand at room temp for 1 hour before using. Yields: 2 crusts

Note: You can freeze the dough in zip-top bags for up to 2 months; thaw dough overnight in the refrigerator.
I do make a few changes though. I started making it with 100% whole wheat flour and I LOVE the texture of the crust this way. :cheers: I don't have a mixer so everything is mixed by hand...careful, the water and yeast will be hot! :lol: Also, I cut each batch into 3 crusts instead of 2 so it is crispier...and I usually make at least two batches (6 crusts) and keep them in the freezer. :cheers:

TabuIsMe 08-28-2011 4:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs. Colleen (Post 404668)

I do make a few changes though. I started making it with 100% whole wheat flour and I LOVE the texture of the crust this way. :cheers: I don't have a mixer so everything is mixed by hand...careful, the water and yeast will be hot! :lol: Also, I cut each batch into 3 crusts instead of 2 so it is crispier...and I usually make at least two batches (6 crusts) and keep them in the freezer. :cheers:

Thank you :cheers: It won't be for a while, but next time i make pizza.. I'll be using this recipe most likely. :yesnod: then i can really say, home made pizza all the way.

Mrs. Colleen 08-28-2011 4:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by TabuIsMe (Post 404676)
Thank you :cheers: It won't be for a while, but next time i make pizza.. I'll be using this recipe most likely. :yesnod: then i can really say, home made pizza all the way.

If you want to go super all out I occasionally make my own sauce...but mostly lately I have just been buying it. :lol:

This is the recipe I use...

Quote:

7 tbsp water
2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
1 ½ tbsp olive oil
2 tsp dried oregano
1 ½ tsp sugar
1 tsp minced garlic
1 (14.5 oz) can petite-diced tomatoes, undrained
1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
I just throw everything in the Magic Bullet and it is done.

Gooch 08-29-2011 9:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs. Colleen (Post 404668)

Gonna have to kipe this.

Kerrmudgeon 08-29-2011 2:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs. Colleen (Post 404690)
If you want to go super all out I occasionally make my own sauce...but mostly lately I have just been buying it. :lol:
This is the recipe I use...
I just throw everything in the Magic Bullet and it is done.

Hi Colleen, how's my favorite biker chick? Are you putting the miles on this summer?
Anytime I've tried to make a whole wheat crust or even pizzeria ones, they're never that great. What else do you change to get it the same consistency as regular flour? :sneaks:

Bucwheat 11-17-2011 11:39am

I think Papa Johns tonight.:D

Kerrmudgeon 11-17-2011 7:46pm

Mmmmmm, this thread makes me :drool: for pizza!
I'm going to try out a new recipe for a whole wheat and corn flour thin crust tomorrow, I've got in my head. I'll let you know how it turns out. I've tried a couple of take out ww crusts and they all suck! U gotta take things into your own hands sometimes!:yesnod::sneaks:

Mrs. Colleen 11-17-2011 7:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kerrmudgeon (Post 405540)
Hi Colleen, how's my favorite biker chick? Are you putting the miles on this summer?
Anytime I've tried to make a whole wheat crust or even pizzeria ones, they're never that great. What else do you change to get it the same consistency as regular flour? :sneaks:

I guess I missed this post before! :o

Things are great! Mark and I got custom leathers a few weeks back so we are trying to ride as much as possible to make sure we break in the leather before our next track day. :cert:

Now back to the pizza topic. :lol:

When I make homemade whole wheat pizza crust all I change is the flour. The consistency IS different but we both like it. Both of us prefer a more Italian style pizza crust...really thin and more cracker-like. :cert: If you want the same consistency you will probably have to only swap half the white flour for wheat flour.

Kerrmudgeon 11-19-2011 10:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs. Colleen (Post 481575)
I guess I missed this post before! :o

Things are great! Mark and I got custom leathers a few weeks back so we are trying to ride as much as possible to make sure we break in the leather before our next track day. :cert:

Now back to the pizza topic. :lol:

When I make homemade whole wheat pizza crust all I change is the flour. The consistency IS different but we both like it. Both of us prefer a more Italian style pizza crust...really thin and more cracker-like. :cert: If you want the same consistency you will probably have to only swap half the white flour for wheat flour.

That's why I'm going for 1/3 corn flour with the WW, and a touch more olive oil, and spices like basil and oregano right in the dough! Plus I'm going to knead it a little more than usual to get the gluten stretchy , almost like a foccacia consistency. We'll see......:D